PDA

View Full Version : Legal'ese questions..Help much appreciated.

what2be
06-05-2008, 8:56 PM
A few questions for the members on here that are familiar with the california gun laws...

1) Im just about finished moving from vegas to california. Do I have to register my long guns and pistols or is it optional?

2) If I want to sell either of my long guns or pistols in the future via ppt at a FFL dealer, do they have to be registered to me first?

3) For the love of god, IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE TO GET MY Barrett 82A1 .50BMG INTO CALIFORNIA LEGALLY? I know I can bring it into state for a "organized official competition" but then must immediatley take it back out of state. Thats not a very good option but if thats my only option, maybe I will keep it at my mothers house in nevada and do just that.

4) I didnt notice it until now, but it looks like the muzzle brake on my new rec7 is threaded onto the end of the barrel, not pinned or welded. Is this bad news? Also, I noticed the gas block has threads on it to accept a suppressor. I assume that is legal (the threads, not the suppressor) since its on the gas block and not the barrel? Or are either one okay?

5) lastly, when browsing handguns in nevada, I noticed a few had threaded barrels, eg, on of the HK's I looked at. Is this legal to register in california?

jandmtv
06-05-2008, 8:59 PM
Ill try to answer your questions with 1 answer.

DO NOT MOVE TO CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!

VEGAS = GUN FRIENDLY STATE
CALIFORNIA = ^COMPLETE OPPOSITE!!

VEGAS = GOOD!
CALIFORNIA = BAD!!!

lol :D

Welcome to Calguns.net

JeffM
06-05-2008, 9:14 PM
A few questions for the members on here that are familiar with the california gun laws...

1) Im just about finished moving from vegas to california. Do I have to register my long guns and pistols or is it optional?

2) If I want to sell either of my long guns or pistols in the future via ppt at a FFL dealer, do they have to be registered to me first?

3) For the love of god, IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE TO GET MY Barrett 82A1 .50BMG INTO CALIFORNIA LEGALLY? I know I can bring it into state for a "organized official competition" but then must immediatley take it back out of state. Thats not a very good option but if thats my only option, maybe I will keep it at my mothers house in nevada and do just that.

4) I didnt notice it until now, but it looks like the muzzle brake on my new rec7 is threaded onto the end of the barrel, not pinned or welded. Is this bad news? Also, I noticed the gas block has threads on it to accept a suppressor. I assume that is legal (the threads, not the suppressor) since its on the gas block and not the barrel? Or are either one okay?

5) lastly, when browsing handguns in nevada, I noticed a few had threaded barrels, eg, on of the HK's I looked at. Is this legal to register in california?

1. Never had to deal with it, but I believe you must register handguns. Long guns do not have to be registered in any way.

2. As above, just the handguns.

3. No legal way, unless it's possible to convert to .50 DTC.

4. Threads on rifle barrels (and gas blocks for that matter) are NOT "evil features" and are fine.

5. Threads on handgun barrels ARE an "evil feature" making the handgun an Assault Weapon.

Quiet
06-05-2008, 9:14 PM
1. No long gun registration. However, you do need to register your handguns. You have 60 days to do so. Register them by filling out this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) and pay $19 per handgun you are registering. Send form and money to CA DOJ.

2. No.

3. NO

4. Barret Model REC7 ??? Prior to bring it into CA, you need to fix a 10 round magazine in place. Use the new BB15.

5. Remove the threads on the barrels or remove the threaded barrels and use non-threaded barrels.

what2be
06-05-2008, 9:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good info...

And I had the bullet button on my rec 7 and my 458 socom before I left my house in nevada on my way to california.
got a 10 round mag for the rec 7 in 6.8 as well.