PDA

View Full Version : ACOG or Eotech 4X

Vin496
06-05-2008, 4:10 PM
I currently have an Eotech 512 and a ACOG TA11F, for fun I just mounted my EO in front of the ACOG and was surprised at how good the magnified EO looked. I'm thinking I might want to run a flip to side magnifier with it.

Anyone have either one the 3x or 4x, and how do you like it. If you had a choice what would you run the Eotech with mag, or an ACOG?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_0613.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_0614.jpg

DJMAN
06-05-2008, 4:13 PM
THATS MY HOUSE!!!!!:eek:

JK:D Looks good.

X-NewYawker
06-05-2008, 4:23 PM
Neighbors must have loved when you took THAT. :)

Vin496
06-05-2008, 4:31 PM
Neighbors must have loved when you took THAT. :)

Lol, they aren't mounted on a rifle. I could imagine the freak out that would cause.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_0616.jpg

domokun
06-05-2008, 4:34 PM
Those photos look neat. How'd you do that?

Vin496
06-05-2008, 4:41 PM
Those photos look neat. How'd you do that?

Just took my camera set it on macro, since it's an auto focus it took a few tries to get it focused right. Took the pic then cropped it so all you see is the inside of the scope.

Original pic
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_0615.jpg

SuperSet
06-05-2008, 4:42 PM
I looked at both magnifiers at the Shot Show and my conclusion was that the 3X was good but the 4x was fantastic! Square view and the glass quality was excellent!

How much money do you have to spend? :D

Sumo99
06-05-2008, 4:42 PM
I don't have either, but I think the the EOTech 3x magnifier is actually 3.25 where the 4x magnifer is actually 3.75 so there is only a .5 difference in magnification.

Vin496
06-05-2008, 5:02 PM
I looked at both magnifiers at the Shot Show and my conclusion was that the 3X was good but the 4x was fantastic! Square view and the glass quality was excellent!

How much money do you have to spend? :D

Well that's always open. I was considering a SB Short Dot, but I think for me a open red dot with mag option or fixed(i.e. ACOG) would suit me much better.

RossRinSD
06-05-2008, 5:53 PM
so let me get this straight, you have an Eotech and an Acog and can't decide on what to use.

Can I call dibs on the one you don't use??

Vin496
06-05-2008, 5:56 PM
so let me get this straight, you have an Eotech and an Acog and can't decide on what to use.

Can I call dibs on the one you don't use??

Well not really, what I can't decide on is if I want to get a magnifier for my Eotech.:D

Blacky
06-05-2008, 6:08 PM
Excellent photos. I am struggling with a ACOG question myself.

Addax
06-05-2008, 6:09 PM
That is pretty cool! Nice Pic's and good improvising.

I understand that there is supposed to be single unit Eotech with 4x magnification in the works so you do not require an external magnifier anymore.

Not sure if and when it is supposed to be released, but the Eotech/L3 guys at Shot did say it was something they were developing.

SuperSet
06-05-2008, 6:14 PM
Are you a competition shooter or just for plinking? For plinking, the S&B might be overkill. But, if you're putting this thing through the ringer for Competition or HD and you have the funds, definitely get the Short Dot! It's lighter, best glass in the world (German) and more magnification.

Addax, first time I've heard about a variable EOTech sight. That'd be awesome, if they can solve their QC issues and beat Aimpoint to the market!

Vin496
06-05-2008, 6:28 PM
It would be for HD and lots of shooting days in the Summer when I'm back in Texas.

I am so tempted by the Short Dot, it's the lust for the unobtanium.

Addax
06-05-2008, 6:31 PM
Yeah tell me about it.

Funny thing was, they admitted that they were in a sort of reorganization at the time and that priorities for certain product R&D were going to shift back to developing some sort of direct Acog competitors. Maybe like a hybrid Eotech with built in magnification in a similar body of the Eotech.

I love my Eotech's, but I am now going to pick up a an Acog for my Carbines since I want some short range magnification.

Are you a competition shooter or just for plinking? For plinking, the S&B might be overkill. But, if you're putting this thing through the ringer for Competition or HD and you have the funds, definitely get the Short Dot! It's lighter, best glass in the world (German) and more magnification.

Addax, first time I've heard about a variable EOTech sight. That'd be awesome, if they can solve their QC issues and beat Aimpoint to the market!

ar15barrels
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I ran an ACOG TA01NSN in 3gun competition for years.
The last few years have seen the demise of longer range rifle shots from 3gun so dots and low power variable scopes have become the new setup.
The ACOG is the best thing going from about 50yds on out.
The issue is that it's not as fast from 5 yds to 35yds as a dot or low power scope.
I switched to a Trijicon Accupoint last year and it's been doing ok for me.
I still miss the ACOG reticle, but man is this thing great in-close.

If we could get Trijicon to make the accupoint in a front focal plane arrangement and offer the various ACOG reticles, we would really have something.

SI-guru
06-06-2008, 2:11 AM
Elcan Spectre DR

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/images/spectredr.jpg

mrjones98
06-06-2008, 8:24 AM
Unless you can find a retailer with the 4x in stock, Eotech won't be producing anymore until at least next year.

I got in on the groupbuy on Eotech's a few months ago over at AR15... After waiting a couple months, I was informed that Eotech was having issues with their 4x manufacturer. Would be next year at the soonest before they could start producing them again. Checked their website, and there's no mention of the 4x anymore (or the 557's, for that matter). Weird.

redcliff
06-06-2008, 9:22 AM
Elcan Spectre DR

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/images/spectredr.jpg

I've got an Elcan Spectre DR and I like it very much. The spec ops guys don't like it because the elevation adjustment is the weak point on the system but for a range gun/HD gun it's pretty slick.