PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Qs: how to remove mag. release, and

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
A couple of quick Qs on the AR-15:

How do you remove the standard mag release? It looks like it's an easily removable part for cleaning and lubrication, but I've never done that.

Second question: What is a good telescoping stock option for an AR-15? I did a search and there are dozens out there, and they all look similar, they all say, "this is the best", etc, but which ones are recommended?

Thanks

deleted by PC police
06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Push the button in as far as it will go, this will push the mag catch out the other side then you just twist the mag catch. righty tighty lefty loosey

If you have the chance try a fixed stock first. I got a telescoping stock for one of mine cause everyone was doing it and I hate it. I'm short and I have to extend it to the last notch for it to be comfortable. Completely useless.

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Push the button in as far as it will go, this will push the mag catch out the other side then you just twist the mag catch. righty tighty lefty loosey

Thanks. That was easy.

If you have the chance try a fixed stock first. I got a telescoping stock for one of mine cause everyone was doing it and I hate it. I'm short and I have to extend it to the last notch for it to be comfortable. Completely useless.

I have the fixed stock, it's fine. I'm mainly interested in the telescoping for ease of transportation and storage.

RobT2K
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I have the CTR by MagPul and it is very solid compared to my friends CAA stock. The CAA wiggles and feels loose, the CTR locks in place and doesn't move.

Omega13device
06-05-2008, 1:02 PM
I like the Magpul CTR and the LMT SOPMOD stock. The Vltor Modstocks are also very popular.

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 1:09 PM
I'll try the Magpul. It looks like a good design. I have to determine if I have "commercial" or "milspec".

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 2:01 PM
Ok, is that MagPul stock available as a complete kit, with buffer tube? That looks like the way to go.

I'm glad I asked before ordering stuff because I don't have experience with setting these up.

ironcross
06-05-2008, 2:37 PM
Check out this: http://www.riflegear.com/p-273-magpul-ctr-carbine-mil-spec-complete-assembly.aspx#

Pick a color and your set.

You will also need a spanner wrench: http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=179

I did quite bit of research on tools 1 tooth spanner VS 3 tooth spanners.

What I got was that 1 tooths can break and or damage the finish, etc so I choose the 3 tooth one. You can torque the crap out of it and has'nt broke so far.

Also

:useless:

Lets some pics...

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 8:47 PM
Check out this: http://www.riflegear.com/p-273-magpul-ctr-carbine-mil-spec-complete-assembly.aspx#

Pick a color and your set.

Ok, so I just order that, and the spanner wrench, and that's it? And that new stock replacement buffer tube is going to be compatible with a standard AR-15?

What I got was that 1 tooths can break and or damage the finish, etc so I choose the 3 tooth one. You can torque the crap out of it and has'nt broke so far.

Good to know. It's not an expensive tool, and I don't want to damage the gun. Especiall given that this lower receiver is literally irreplaceable.

Also
Lets some pics...

Ok, I promise. I'll probably take some before, and then after, with the new stock.

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, next question, about removal of the stock.

I looked at pictures of this wrench that unscrews the existing stock. Then I looked at the fixed stock that's on there, and there are no notches where that wrench could grip whatever it is that's retaining the thing.

What there is is a large flat-head screw on the back of the stock, in line with the buffer tube.

I assume that I remove the buffer piston, spring, etc, and then I unscrew that? Anything else?

69Mach1
06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Unscrew that large screw in the back of the stock to remove the fixed stock from the buffer tube. Then you remove the buffer and spring. Lastly you unscrew the buffer tube from the receiver. If it's tight, use a wrench.

RobT2K
06-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, just unscrew the 2 screws in your current stock and slide the stock off, then unscrew the buffer tube by hand, there will be a little spring tension so hold onto the tube.
Then when you get the new shorter buffer tube/adj. stock, follow the instructions on this page under the first part about assembling your trigger group into your lower receiver.-AR15 guide to building your lower (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782)
Not sure if there is a huge $ amount difference in the two types of wrenches, but you're really not putting a tremendous amount of torque on the stock, so the 1 tooth spanner is fine. Just don't let the tooth slip out of the castle nut while tightening, it's not hard.

CCWFacts
06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Cool, thanks much for the advice. I've shot it a lot but I'm an AR-15 newbie when it comes to working on it. I really enjoy shooting it.

The bummer for me right now is that there aren't any ranges anywhere near me where I can take it out, and the cost of 223 is absurd. The solution to both of those problems would be to get an upper in 9mm or 22lr. Any opinions on this? It seems like a new upper is cheaper than a case of 223 these days so it would let me shoot a lot more. Also, if I get 22lr, it makes less noise and is generally less annoying to others.

RobT2K
06-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah, that's why I got the ceiner conversion kit. I still shoot .223, but the .22 kit allows me to shoot my AR15 every range trip and not feel like I'm wasting my ammo horde.

CCWFacts
06-06-2008, 12:14 AM
I did some more checking on the Ceiner kit. I don't want to use it. 22lr's rimfire seems to be based on having glass or some grit in the primer compound, and I don't want to run that through my AR. Also the 223 bore diameter isn't right for 22lr. I'll probably end up getting a 9mm upper.

CCWFacts
06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
This is a registered AW. Do I have anything to worry about with putting a telescoping stock? It has a standard 16" barrel. If I install that MagPul unit as described, there's nothing to worry about? No overall length issues?

xcrunner805
06-06-2008, 2:38 PM
Hey RobT2k, how much better is the CTR feel than the CAA CBS, cause I think I'm going to sell mine to get that. Is it worth the money you think? Also, will my mil-spec tube and spring and buffer that came with my CAA work with the CTR?

PeterGreko
02-02-2016, 4:07 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a non-standard mag release (like the New Frontier C9 lower). How do I take it off to install the bullet button? They also sell it, so there must be away? Any ideas?? TIA

strongpoint
02-02-2016, 5:21 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a non-standard mag release (like the New Frontier C9 lower). How do I take it off to install the bullet button? They also sell it, so there must be away? Any ideas?? TIA

Have you tried contacting NFA (https://newfrontierarmory.com/contact-us/)?

Dirtbiker
02-02-2016, 5:32 PM
This thread is 8 years old...