PDA

View Full Version : anyone use bore finishing or break in ammo by david tubb?

norcal-ar
06-05-2008, 6:31 AM
its called bore finishing ammo by david tubb of tubb tactical rifles it smooths out your bore and gets rid of small imperfections. has anyone used this? and since i bought a really nice/high quality upper. i shouldn't even be worrying about this right?

norcal-ar
06-05-2008, 6:55 AM
all the articles ive found are on bolt action rifles is this not recommended for an auto loading rifle? heres one article i found: http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/DavidTubbsFinalFinish.asp

trapshot68
06-05-2008, 7:24 AM
hm.. I've seen a writeup using either that or a similar product on an M1a. From what I remember, it was something that did an impressive improvement for the price.

Unfortunately, I only printed out a hard copy and that's at home, and I can't find a link. I'll keep surfing around and LYK.

*EDIT* Found the link. http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

762cavalier
06-05-2008, 7:30 AM
i bought a really nice/high quality upper.

What kind of upper? If it is chrome lined I wouldn't use bore finishing ammo on it at all.

norcal-ar
06-05-2008, 7:39 AM
check out my sig its the jp vtac with a cro treated 416 stainless barrel.

What kind of upper? If it is chrome lined I wouldn't use bore finishing ammo on it at all.

maxicon
06-05-2008, 9:20 AM
For a new barrel, if you've got one that fouls quickly or doesn't have the accuracy you'd like, this kind of thing can help. It's better for reducing fouling than for improving accuracy, but if you don't overdo it, it won't hurt. Some people use it on older pitted or frosted barrels to clean them up.

I'd be surprised if a JP barrel would need this.

If you decide to try it, shoot a few before and after 10 round groups from the same lot of match-grade ammo and post the results.

Socal858
06-05-2008, 9:23 AM
i did it in an accurate, but coarsely machined savage barrel. sure the weapon was accurate but you know how savages foul very quickly and have that one spot near the front quarter length of the barrel where your cleaning patch just JAMS and you have to put some man torque into it

i did tubbs final finish and it feels like i am scrubbing a mirror after shooting 100 rounds. it cleans out much faster. i experienced a tiny bit of accuracy improvement

i would not do it on a nice barrel, or a chrome lined out

jandmtv
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I used Tubbs final finish on my Mosin Nagant 91/30, because i just couldnt get the bore clean without killing my arm, and when i ran a patch through it, i could feel how uneven it was inside.

After i used final finish, just like some of the other members said, my 91/30 had a mirror finish bore that cleans very easily and my groups have shrunk to 1" at 100 yards with hand loads. before final finish, my best group was 1.5-2" at 100 yards.

just a FYI, final finish should only be used on Stainless and Cromo barrels, do not use it on a chrome lined barrel.

supersonic
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Armalite , Lilja, Krieger, and other barrel makers strongly advise against this procedure (and ANY type of abrasive being used in any barrel for break - in or anything else!). Time has proven that "fire-lapping" provides the "instant gratification" many shooters describe here (unfortunately, I used the system in a 24" Wilson/RRA match BBL to break it in:(), only to find that the damage will appear later on & won't be reversible. This comes straight out of Armalite's BBL Break-In Procedure bulletin that came with my AR-30 rifle w/ factory-triple lapped match BBL. To do it the right way, you need to put 100 jacketed bullets down your tube. This involves a very lengthy process of cleaning between each shot for about 20; after 2 until you get to 50; after 5 until get to 80; and after 10 to finish it off. YMMV, but this takes me about 3-5 range trips (about 7 hours!!!!) - but well worth the effort in the long run. Hope that helped!:)

p.s.- anybody need a Tubb FF kit for .338 REAL CHEAP??????l;)

Max-the-Silent
06-05-2008, 4:39 PM
I've experimented with the Tubbs rounds - you won't see a measurable improvement in accuracy starting out with a true match quality barrel, but you may see an improvement in the accuracy of a garden variety barrel or surplus rifle barrel.

I believe that polishing the bore of a BPCR rifle intended for lead bullet usage only may be more beneficial than any fire lapping or bore polishing in barrels that will only see jacketed projectiles. I haven't yet had the time to test this theory, but will when circumstances allow.

I do not do any bore polishing on duty or service rifles - clean the bore before the initial firing, let the barrel cool between rounds (no bore cleaning) for the first ten rounds, then have at it.

norcal-ar
06-05-2008, 5:10 PM
yeah i have a lot of $$$ invested so im gonna hold off i think i may wait till i have a "cheaper "rifle to experiment on!

Gunsrruss
06-05-2008, 9:33 PM
I got a new barreled upper from Compass Lake. I used the Tubb rounds first, and could tell the difference as I was cleaning it between applications. It has always been accurate. I'm the one who isn't. I also got some 175gr Tubbs. I will try these on my next new .308 barrel:) I have not noticed any problems with this application...

jandmtv
06-05-2008, 9:50 PM
Tubb himself uses his bullets on his rifles, and look at how well his rifles shoot (not to mention how well he shoots)

maxicon
06-06-2008, 9:57 AM
Tubb himself uses his bullets on his rifles, and look at how well his rifles shoot (not to mention how well he shoots)

The question is, how much better does it shoot after compared to before? I'd bet that the barrels he shoots with really aren't going to improve a whole lot from fire lapping.

supersonic
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
The question is, how much better does it shoot after compared to before? I'd bet that the barrels he shoots with really aren't going to improve a whole lot from fire lapping.

I agree. Plus, it's called marketing. He may make $$ off them, but that doesn't mean he uses them. Also, that guy has a warehouse full of barrels, surely all the BEST (+free!!;))), so I think it's safe to assume that he doesn't waste his time fire - lapping the BBLs that he's gonna shoot the hell out of, anyway. David Tubb's shooting prowess comes from years of dedication & skill, not the Tubb 2000 bullets / instructional manuals / DVD's / rifles / keychains / sportswear / etc., or whatever else he puts his name on to pay for his big house; SUV; swimming pool maintenance; and all his toys that cost mega $$$$!!!!!:D