PDA

View Full Version : How long can an AK go with out cleaning?

SilentScream
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Check this out. This guy is doing a test on how long he can go on using a VectorAK-47 with out cleaning it. Any of you guys tried anything like this?

http://www.kaneohegs.com/testing.htm#ContinuingreportonVectorAK

fal_762x51
06-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I can't remember where it was, but youtube had a video of a jungle rusted AK and they opened it with a hammer, then poured oil in it. The damn thing fired with no problem.

SilentScream
06-05-2008, 12:05 AM
But after more then two years and 2200+ roungs it didn't look that bad...

DrunkSkunk
06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
If only spraying down your rig with CLP counts as not cleaning I've got an AR that's currently logged in about 3k rounds with only spraying it down with CLP, no cleaning.

Addax
06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
You can take a Rusted Junk in the Sand AK's pour a small cap full of used motor oil into it, and shoot it.

The AK is a pretty rugged rifle.

I remember I had a pre-ban Norinco AK that I would shoot and shoot and never clean, I can't remember how many rounds, but I did use over a full case of ammo and never once even it opened it up, cleaned it or oiled it.

Eventually I did clean the rifle, when I sold it.

thedrickel
06-05-2008, 12:23 AM
2k rounds? That's nothing . . . I've got a couple romy's with more than that, no problems at all. There's a thread on the FAL Files about a FAL with over 14k (and counting) with no cleaning and no problems.

oaklander
06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Wait, you're saying that you are supposed to *clean* an AK?

NeoWeird
06-05-2008, 1:35 AM
The longest an AK goes between cleanings is however long you go before you pull the trigger on a loaded chamber. ;)

awheelman357
06-05-2008, 1:43 AM
there was just a story on the history channel about some U.S. guys finding an ak under a decomposed body they rinsed it off and it still fired just fine.

gcvt
06-05-2008, 1:46 AM
I never went to that extreme, but my Norinco 56S (yes, it lives with my Dad in Texas) only got cleaned every couple of years at best because I was out here in CA going to college. I'd fly home, go shooting, party with friends instead of cleaning the gun, and fly back out here. I assume my Dad may spray down the outside with WD-40 every couple of years at the most.

And this has been going on for years...this gun was purchased in TX 3 days after it was banned here in '89.

She still looks and shoots fantastic; can't wait to go back home in the fall!!

http://bayareadesign.com/gcvt/pics/AK-47.jpg

Addax
06-05-2008, 1:58 AM
I miss my Norinco! Very nice example!:)

I never went to that extreme, but my Norinco 56S (yes, it lives with my Dad in Texas) only got cleaned every couple of years at best because I was out here in CA going to college. I'd fly home, go shooting, party with friends instead of cleaning the gun, and fly back out here. I assume my Dad may spray down the outside with WD-40 every couple of years at the most.

And this has been going on for years...this gun was purchased in TX 3 days after it was banned here in '89.

She still looks and shoots fantastic; can't wait to go back home in the fall!!

http://bayareadesign.com/gcvt/pics/AK-47.jpg

gcvt
06-05-2008, 4:57 AM
I miss my Norinco! Very nice example!:)

Thank you very much. I just wish she wasn't 2000 miles away :( She's so purdy and fun to shoot.

motorhead
06-05-2008, 6:39 AM
with chrome bore cleaning is optional. mtk designed the gas system to be basically self cleaning.

duenor
06-05-2008, 8:19 AM
most well made MBRs can go for pretty long periods of time without cleaning, but you don't want to do that unless you need to. during peacetime, when you have nothing but the football game to preclude cleaning, one has no excuse for poor gun maintenance.

the one gun that i don't clean as I should is my ruger pc9, and that's mainly because it requires removing the stock to do properly.

my 10/22 also doesn't get cleaned much... mainly because it works fine without and i dont really care if it is dirty.

Vin496
06-05-2008, 8:55 AM
Have had this AK 56-1 since I was 15(1987), until this last January I hadn't cleaned it since last shooting it almost 10 years earlier, I left in back in Texas. I so miss just jumping in my truck driving less than 10 minutes and shooting out in the open.

Took it out loaded it up and it shot perfect, that rifle has never ever had a malfunction of any sort

Some pics of us out shooting.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_0167.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_0157.jpg

hybridatsun350
06-05-2008, 9:45 AM
It's not too difficult to leave a gun dirty when you've got tolerances like an AK. I don't plan on ever cleaning my AK when I finally get it together. I just feel that is in the true spirit of the AK! :)

chokeyourself!
06-05-2008, 9:53 AM
I've actually been doing the same with my vector since September 2007 I've put 800 rounds without cleaning it with the exception of cleaning the bore.

mike22ca
06-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Damn what am I doing wrong, I clean mine after every one or two trips. Fk it! No more cleaning then lmao.

Bladewurk
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
probably forever! those little kids in Africa don't have cleaning kits......