PDA

View Full Version : LPK tool kit?

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know if an LPK tool kit exists? Like the wrenches and other tools that make life easier when installing an LPK? Let me know if you guys have heard of anything like this.

NeoWeird
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
They are usually called "armorer's kits". They are very exspensive as they usually have tools that the average person will never use, let alone know how to use properly. About the ONLY thing you need for the LPK is a punch and hammer for the pins, a tool to attach the pistol grip (either a hex wrench or slotted screw driver depending on manufacturer), and the spanner wrench for a telestock or an adjustable wrench for an A2 stock. Outside of that, the entire lower is put together by hand.

MadRiverArms
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
All you need are a small brass hammer, a few punches and either skilled hands or a special tool to do the pivot pin. I recommend the flat sided bolt catch pin punch as it allows you to get a better in-line strike. There's a picture out there for the tools needed by the average AR builder. Also there is a tutorial at AR15.com.

-G

blackberg
06-05-2008, 12:52 AM
needle nose pliers, screwdriver, punch and hammer is all I use;)
(dremel to make the hex into a flathead):D
-bb

Socal858
06-05-2008, 1:07 AM
all i used on my builds were a pair of vise grips, masking/duct/electrical tape, a thick business card for the detents, a beer, and man torque

the vise grips are just about good for EVERYTHING. i even taped up the nut for the carbine buffer tube and tightened it wtih the vise grips

Bruce3
06-05-2008, 1:18 AM
What i used was lots of blue painters tape and duct tape to protect the finish from being scratched. A vise grips covered with duct tape is good to install the roll pins but you'll still need a some brass punches to finish them off. It also helps to grease the holes to help the roll pins go in. Don't bother using that razor blade method for installing the front take down pin detent, your better off spending $1 on a 1/4inch by 2 inch clevis pin down at your local hardware store it makes it MUCH more easy to install the detent. Do Not forget to support the "rabbit ears" and have the latch already in place when installing the trigger guard roll pin! Have fun!

lakai
06-05-2008, 3:16 AM
I don't know why everyone duct tapes and uses vise grips for. Just get a center punch and a hammer.

NeoWeird
06-05-2008, 3:21 AM
I don't know why everyone duct tapes and uses vise grips for. Just get a center punch and a hammer.

Because there are gorillas out there that will not push the pin properly and will end up flaring the pin, or wedging the punch into the pin, and will ruin their parts and/or receiver because they don't understand what 'gently' means.

I put my first lower together with a pipe wrench, a file, and an allen key (no joke). My last lower was a beater that I put together with a screw driver, pliers, and a CAR spanner wrench. Lowers are suprisingly easy to put together. I think most people think they HAVE to be complicated because it's a relatively complicated system. They don't realize the entire purpose of the lower is to position the hammer, buffer, and magazine with the upper and that's it. All the hard work is done, you just screw and snap items together.

tenpercentfirearms
06-05-2008, 6:25 AM
I only use the Lyman Roll Pin Punch Set (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57&products_id=510), a brass and plastic hammer, and a screwdriver or allen wrench. That is it.

No tape, no razor blades, and no vice grips. I have built hundreds of ARs in the last two years and complete a lower and put on the upper in about 10 minutes.

rbgaynor
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I only use the Lyman Roll Pin Punch Set (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57&products_id=510), a brass and plastic hammer, and a screwdriver or allen wrench. That is it.

No tape, no razor blades, and no vice grips. I have built hundreds of ARs in the last two years and complete a lower and put on the upper in about 10 minutes.

+1 for the Lyman roll-pin punches, not that expensive and lots of firearms have roll pins.

1911su16b870
06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Roll pin punch set
Small hammer
Blue masking or black vinyl tape
CLP
1/4 clevis pin with holes for front pin spring (home depot or lowes item)
cone nose punch for staking buffer tube

should be everything you need for a LPK