View Full Version : Permanently blocking magazine

06-04-2008, 7:48 PM
Hello all,

Im a longtime lurker - and fellow comrade from the PRNJ.

As many of you know, we too have a state AWB.

We can have detachable mags, without regard to date of manufacture, but they cannot exceed 15 rounds. If they are blocked, they have to be blocked permanently.

What methods are you all using to block your 20, 30 rounders permanently- including commonly used materials/vendors.

Im interested in AK type mags blocked / cut to 15. We have a gentleman who makes pmags in 15 rounders cut down-- but he does not do AK type mags.

Is there anyway to do so without losing the ability to disassemble the mag for cleaning? (tall order I know!).

Thanks all

06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Im not an AK guy but did see these


06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Rivets and rivet gun. If you want to go real cheap, a self-taping screw works too.

06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
What methods are you all using to block your 20, 30 rounders permanently- including commonly used materials/vendors.

I'll hazard a guess that each state will have a different definition of what they consider "permanent".

The self-tapping screw mentioned above would probably not pass muster.
CA generally wants the magazine to be destroyed if you try to remove the modifications that made it "permanently altered".

Screws certainly don't meet that requirement and rivets are marginal.
Some people may destroy the magazine while removing a rivet, but others might be able to do it without damage.

I would consult your own state govt agencies to ask them for an opinion letter on acceptable methods of modifying large capacity magazines to only hold 15 rounds.
It could be as simple as gluing a wooden dowel into the bottom of the follower.
It could be complex including shortening the magazine tube and re-attaching the baseplate.

06-05-2008, 2:14 PM
When I was modding HK 10/20's I would cut a few coils off the bottom of the spring, load 9 dummy rounds, then rivet a "u" shaped piece of sheet metal as the limiter. If it was a steel body I would then weld the baseplate on, but if it was aluminum I would put the little piece of spring I cut off with the baseplate retainer back, then the baseplate. I epoxied a few of the baseplates to the retainer, but that was a PITA, so I just started welding the baseplate to the little button on the retainer. Worked ok, filled a small niche at the time.