PDA

View Full Version : Scope adjustments (ups or MOA)

1lostinspace
06-04-2008, 7:10 PM
I am trying to figure out my ups on my scope and was wondering has anyone here got data from ballistic software and had it transfer over to real life fire and have it hit targets from 100-600 yards like at Angeles Range.

C.G.
06-04-2008, 7:14 PM
Would help to know the caliber and bullet.:)

Mute
06-04-2008, 7:18 PM
I've generally found JBM (http://www.eskimo.com/%7Ejbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html) is close enough to get you on paper especially if you can chrono your loads and fill in the blanks. Let us know if you need some help getting your come-ups figured out.

rksimple
06-04-2008, 9:00 PM
For 1-600 yards, JBM will usually get you on very, very well. Beyond that, you need to be more specific in what you input.

ar15barrels
06-04-2008, 9:18 PM
The best way is to shoot on paper or small steel at multiple ranges and figure out exactly what it takes to hit at those specific distances.
Then play with the ballistics software by fudging velocity and BC until you get an exact match.
THEN the numbers it gives you for other distances will be pretty damn good.
Station pressure seems to be the most important factor in air density so you will need a good weather instrument to take accurate enough readings for the ballistics printouts to be accurate in varying conditions.

1lostinspace
06-05-2008, 11:29 PM
so I went to JBM and entered all the data. I make my adjustments for distance and wind (5-10 mph) fired 3 rounds cold bore grouping 2.13" at 300 yards, had one hell of a mirage and no bench just shooting prone. I was able to hit my 3" target 2 out of 3 times then had a friend shoot. He shot the first shot way off target 3" to the left (flyer) other 2 rounds hit the 3" target

I am very happy and impressed, now I need to move to 400 yards!

thanks guys