PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17s owners... ammo survey

fmunk
02-23-2015, 3:07 PM
What ammunition have you had best results with so far?

sammy
02-23-2015, 4:15 PM
You are not going to like the answer but no factory budget (147 grain) shot better than 4" at 100 for me. I tried several different kinds. Never ran the more expensive factory match 168-175 grain stuff but those should shoot fairly well.

If you hand load I can give you some good info.

Sammy

MrPlink
02-23-2015, 4:18 PM
FGMM 168gr, can yield sub moa if the stars line up right and you do your part. But that's to be expected.

fmunk
02-23-2015, 4:18 PM
You are not going to like the answer but no factory budget (147 grain) shot better than 4" at 100 for me. I tried several different kinds. Never ran the more expensive factory match 168-175 grain stuff but those should shoot fairly well.

If you hand load I can give you some good info.

Sammy

Not new to 308 and familiar with ammo pricing. Just wondering what the best performance/price sweet spot is. I've done some googling and have seen many positive threads about Federal Fusion 150 gr, as well as others in 168 gr (which I already shoot out of my 24" SPR A4.

Has anyone tried PPU 168 gr out of a SCAR?

Do not hand load at this time. My landlord would probably freak out if I did.

Cadre
02-23-2015, 6:45 PM
FGMM 168gr, can yield sub moa if the stars line up right and you do your part. But that's to be expected.

What MP said.

fmunk
02-23-2015, 6:50 PM
Been pricing FGMM, found 200 for 235 and change before shipping. Certainly an option... Seems people on the internet are having good results with 155 gr Hornady steel match. Any other options?

Found Fiocchi 150 gr for 142.9 per 200. But based on range reports it's not great. Also found PPU 168 gr for about the same price, which I've used in my SPR with good results... can't find any 17s results with it.

MrPlink
02-23-2015, 6:50 PM
I've also had good results with Fed OTM M1A.
Not quite as good as FGMM, but it's a little cheaper.

I haven't tried steel match in .308, but the other stuff I have tried is quite good. I would guess the 308 is probably really good as well.

dtrump
02-23-2015, 7:03 PM
Fed gmm 168 or any 168 hobt seems to function well. If you want that round but on the cheap, the prvi 168 hpbt is a great deal. I mostly shoot their 145 cuz its like 60 cents but the 168 performs well.

Guys on FNforum seem to think the prvi shoots well. I dont really shoot for groups but habe put the 168s and 145s on steel at 600 a good amount.

Best sale
02-23-2015, 7:19 PM
magtech sniper match 168gr BTHP
Sellier & bellot 147gr & 180gr soft point
lake city 147 gr
all gtg for me ,
I never shot more than 200yds so I can't talk about performance & accuracy beyond 200yds.

fmunk
02-23-2015, 7:28 PM
Thanks all. Great info here. I think I'm going to try this http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-308-win-ammo-308win145grfmjbtprvipartizanwhite-20. Any experience with this stuff? Strange the individual boxes are cheaper than buying the battle pack. Not likely to shoot beyond 200 where I go, so the 168 gr. stuff I've been using is probably a waste. Looking forward to taking delivery of my 17s.

ktmguy
02-23-2015, 8:04 PM
Has anyone tried PPU 168 gr out of a SCAR?

I have, I shoot four different factory loads thru my FDE 17s. I run PMC bronze 147 (good for plinking best groups I could get are 5 shots in just over 3 inches at 100 yards, consistently about 4 inch) Prvi match 168 (shoots very well, I have heard moa but best I can get is 5 shot groups at barely over 2 inches at 100 yards/ I have done 5 in the same hole at 50 yards) Remington premier match 168 (shoots very well 5 shots inside 2 inches when I am taking my time and really trying, did a best of 9 shots in just under 2 and half inches at 100 yards/ at 50 yards does same hole consistently) and of course I have my personal surplus of Federal Gold Metal Match 168 and it is more constant and accurate than I am. My personal favorite shot was shooting off the blue lid on a milk jug filled with water at 100 yards literally split the cap down the middle while it was screwed on and yes that was what I was aiming for. (I have shot 5 in under an inch and a half at 100 yards and 10 all near or touching in under 2 inches at 100 yards/ at 50 I can't tell a big difference between the three 168 match rounds they are that close) Honestly the PPU match is great ammo for the price, I bought all four flavors in bulk thru targetsportsusa.com and could not be happier.

My setup is a fde scar 17 (700+ rounds down the tube currently with no malfunctions yet) with a night force 2.5-10x32 with a ADM Delta mount and an atlas bipod. Factory trigger currently, buying a geissele eventually. fde tango down stubby fore grip and rail covers. FYI I don't give my rifle much time to cool down between shots, at Los Altos rod and gun you must wait 3 seconds between shots so thats about how long I take between 3-5 seconds then it cools down during seize fire.

Nelly105
02-24-2015, 2:19 AM
Thanks all. Great info here. I think I'm going to try this http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-308-win-ammo-308win145grfmjbtprvipartizanwhite-20. Any experience with this stuff? Strange the individual boxes are cheaper than buying the battle pack. Not likely to shoot beyond 200 where I go, so the 168 gr. stuff I've been using is probably a waste. Looking forward to taking delivery of my 17s.

I've had pretty good results with those. 1.5 Mia consistently from a rest out of my SCAR. My 168gr SMK reloads shoot sub MOA all day.

The only caveat is that I use a geiselle trigger.

crazychinaman
02-24-2015, 1:34 PM
168 grn or 177 grn Sierra matchking hollow points,Varget powder works the best with my 17 at Angeles 500 yard steel plates.

Coyotegunner
02-24-2015, 1:52 PM
Accuracy wise?
I reload for mine.
Hornady 150 SSTs or Sierra 165GK.I use Ramshot Tac a bunch,but the Reloader 15 is great.
Got some excellent groups the other day using run of the mill 147 FMJ and ACC 2200.
Seems the thing is kind of partial to 165 and lighter bullets.
Factory loads:I tried some Federal Gold Match,but it would not group under 1.5" at 100yds.I guess the brass will be good.Funny the factory Hornadys with SST bullets group about the same as the Federal.
Hope you have better luck finding something,if not reloading for it.Mine consumes some ammo for sure.

fmunk
02-24-2015, 2:12 PM
I will most likely be getting the Shooting Sight trigger once he starts restocking it. Was learning towards the surplus Prvi, but the 168 gr PPU I am familiar with is only $2 more per 20. Beyond that, might try some of the remanufactured Hornady A-Max stuff from Freedom Munitions. People seem to have great results with A-Max.

HKRick
02-24-2015, 7:43 PM
Scars seem to love 168gr. I like the American Eagle OTM M1A 168gr the best but I haven't shot FGMM. For me PMC 147gr, and Prvi (don't recall gr) and Hornady 150gr SST all shot fairly similar. The only one that consistently out preformed the others were the heavier 168gr AE (Federal).

Nelly105
02-25-2015, 4:44 AM
I will most likely be getting the Shooting Sight trigger once he starts restocking it. Was learning towards the surplus Prvi, but the 168 gr PPU I am familiar with is only $2 more per 20. Beyond that, might try some of the remanufactured Hornady A-Max stuff from Freedom Munitions. People seem to have great results with A-Max.

Most people who have tried both triggers prefer the geisselle. Just food for thought.

fmunk
02-25-2015, 2:06 PM
Most people who have tried both triggers prefer the geisselle. Just food for thought.

Not from what I've read. Some who have tried both like the Shooting Sight. The Geissele is also $70 more, a non-starter. It might be a great trigger, but I'm not spending that much.

dtrump
02-25-2015, 5:47 PM
Not from what I've read. Some who have tried both like the Shooting Sight. The Geissele is also $170 more, a non-starter. It might be a great trigger, but I'm not spending that much.

170 more? Geissele is 325, shooting sight is 250. I was gonna get the shooting sight but went with geissele as it was in stock. Ordered from primary arms because their shipping is always fast. True to their rep they shipped next day but USPS never scanned my package intk their system and its been 6 days. Hoping its not lost in limbo somewhere.

fmunk
02-25-2015, 5:50 PM
The 1 was a typo. I have a Shooting Sight trigger in my 556R and I'm happy with it. Not going to spend over $300 on a trigger. Period. Just paid for a full rifle, need to leave some for ammo.

dtrump
02-25-2015, 8:27 PM
The 1 was a typo. I have a Shooting Sight trigger in my 556R and I'm happy with it. Not going to spend over $300 on a trigger. Period. Just paid for a full rifle, need to leave some for ammo.

Yep i totally hear you on that. I did just about everything else first. but when my tax return came i started watching and reading reviews and figured what the heck im goimg for it. My trigger isnt horrible, just heavy, so going from 8 lbs to about 3.5 is worth it to me. It will really clean up my distance shooting without a doubt.

bishop2queen's6
02-25-2015, 8:30 PM
Accuracy or reliability? From what I've seen with my buddies Scar 17, he has 5000 rds down the pipe and I haven't seen or heard about any function issues with any of the factory ammo he exclusively runs. A majority was AE150gr BT

fmunk
02-25-2015, 8:33 PM
Yep i totally hear you on that. I did just about everything else first. but when my tax return came i started watching and reading reviews and figured what the heck im goimg for it. My trigger isnt horrible, just heavy, so going from 8 lbs to about 3.5 is worth it to me. It will really clean up my distance shooting without a doubt.

Yah I'm not a trigger snob. So I think even the $250 Timney would be good enough for me. I'd rather depend on improving my skills to make better shots than to rely on hardware.

The factory Sig 556R trigger is horridly bad. Shooting Sight's trigger was a night/day difference. It may not be as glamorous as the Geissele brand, after all SS is just a guy trying to start up a business, but it shouldn't be written off. Take a look at what people have been saying about his Tavor triggers for example.

Good things can come from small players.

Nelly105
02-26-2015, 7:49 AM
I can guarantee you that you will notice the difference, even at 100 yes. I was amazed how much better I was shooting once I swapped out the factory trigger.

onelonehorseman
02-26-2015, 8:18 AM

Yup . . this

onelonehorseman
02-26-2015, 8:28 AM
Yah I'm not a trigger snob. So I think even the $250 Timney would be good enough for me. I'd rather depend on improving my skills to make better shots than to rely on hardware.

The factory Sig 556R trigger is horridly bad. Shooting Sight's trigger was a night/day difference. It may not be as glamorous as the Geissele brand, after all SS is just a guy trying to start up a business, but it shouldn't be written off. Take a look at what people have been saying about his Tavor triggers for example.

I put the Shooting Sight trigger on my SCAR 17 and absolutely love it. It is very similar to the Geissele trigger but is also adjustable, though I liked it just the way it came out of the package.

dtrump
02-26-2015, 4:45 PM

Botach has super scars for 295$. I just installed my geissele today. It is an insane difference. lets just say nobody is handling this rifle that doesnt have great trigger control. If my stock scar trigger was around 8 pounds, this thing feels like 1 pound although i know its more. its my first 2 stage and a reallllly dig it. Maybe my 16 will get a shooting sight.

fmunk
02-26-2015, 4:46 PM
Botach... shudder.

HKRick
02-27-2015, 11:10 AM
I can't imagine a better trigger than my Geissele for the Scar.