PDA

View Full Version : Lapping MK4 Rings (Yes/No)

allan
06-03-2008, 9:30 PM
I can't find any documentation/manual stating that these rings should be lapped but they do have grooves.... Should I lapp them?

rksimple
06-04-2008, 6:09 AM
What scope, rifle and base? You may be just fine without lapping.

allan
06-04-2008, 6:34 AM
What scope, rifle and base? You may be just fine without lapping.

Scope = Leupold MK4 (4.5-14X - 40)
Rifle = HS precision Pro Series 2000 HTR (.308)
Base = Badger Ordinance one peice Picatinny (20 MOA)

This is the first scope mount I've done and definatley don't want to harm the scope - it seems strange that Leupold would produce thier high-end rings that subsequently needed to be grinded to a polish before installation of the scope???

Also, what is the best method for detirmining the scope hieght? I'm assuming just eyeballing it with a ruler from center of objective to center of barrel????

Thanks!!!!

Tacticalintervention
06-04-2008, 7:26 AM
Alot of folks believe in lapping MK4 type rings. I dont do it.

I bed/epoxy glue scope base to receiver so its not torqued from out of spec reciever and then just put the rings on as is. If I ever need to remove I use heat to get glue to let go.

I have not run into a problem doing this. If I ever find a set of rings that dont match up right then its either bad rings or bad base. I will play with several set ups to see whats at fault. I just dont believe a man running a lapping bar back and forth can be more precise than what a line boring machine can do.

rksimple
06-04-2008, 8:50 AM
Alot of folks believe in lapping MK4 type rings. I dont do it.

I bed/epoxy glue scope base to receiver so its not torqued from out of spec reciever and then just put the rings on as is. If I ever need to remove I use heat to get glue to let go.

I have not run into a problem doing this. If I ever find a set of rings that dont match up right then its either bad rings or bad base. I will play with several set ups to see whats at fault. I just dont believe a man running a lapping bar back and forth can be more precise than what a line boring machine can do.

As usual Mike nailed it. Its not the rings (usually) that are at fault. If an out of spec receiver causes a formerly true base to warp when torqued down, the rings will be out of alignment. Instead of addressing the root cause of the problem (bedding the base), most will simply fix the symptoms by lapping the rings.