PDA

View Full Version : Do Angeles and Burro allow steel-casing (Wolf) ammunition?

snovvman
06-03-2008, 7:59 PM
Came across some .223 steel casing Wolfs. Just wanted to know if there are any restrictions. Their websites don't indicate so, but thought I'd check.

How about Prado in Chino Hills?

Thanks!

Frijolito1988
06-03-2008, 8:27 PM
I actually called yesterday because i was told all they allow is fiocchi, so i called and they said they allow any ammo as long as it dosent attach to a magnet , so i asked which brand and he said they are all iffy lol BUT it has to be steel cased , so ima start buying wolf and golden tiger or someother brands fiocchi is expensive

chokeyourself!
06-03-2008, 8:29 PM
not sure might want to check their site just google burro canyon.

snovvman
06-03-2008, 8:36 PM
I actually called yesterday because i was told all they allow is fiocchi, so i called and they said they allow any ammo as long as it dosent attach to a magnet , so i asked which brand and he said they are all iffy lol BUT it has to be steel cased , so ima start buying wolf and golden tiger or someother brands fiocchi is expensive

Who did you call? "...as long as it dosent attach to a magnet..." indicates that they do not allow steel casing. At the same time, "...BUT it has to be steel cased..." seems to contradict the previous statement. Please clarify.

not sure might want to check their site just google burro canyon.

Their websites don't indicate so

I have their site bookmarked. It simply does not indicate anything.

Addax
06-03-2008, 8:42 PM
I shoot Wolf 7.62x39 steel case / lead core ammo at Angeles.

As long as their magnet does not attach to the bullet head they are fine, that is what the range masters have told me a few times.

Just make sure the inside of the bullet is lead core or non metallic.

I believe Burro is the same way during the summer months.

virulosity
06-03-2008, 8:52 PM
be careful with wolf. most of it has a steel jacket that is copper plated. It will attract a magnet even though it is lead core.

duenor
06-03-2008, 9:11 PM
it was not so long ago that this rule was not enforced at burro. the reason for this is because there is no way you can start a fire (or super little chance) by shooting the way you are supposed to, at targets in front of the berms.

but if you are an idiot, like the marine who apparently lit up the mountainside with his mini14, then there is a very good chance you will start a 2 million $ fire ... like he did.

just goes to show... morons ruin it for all of us

snovvman
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM
be careful with wolf. most of it has a steel jacket that is copper plated. It will attract a magnet even though it is lead core.

Damn. I just took a magnet to the bullet. It attracts like it attracts to the steel casing. The tip very much looks like lead though...

morons ruin it for all of us

This is VERY MUCH the case in all parts of life and it's just very frustrating. All the cool things we once could own, cool things we once could do, and everything else that gets taken away are mostly because of idiots that ruin it for the rest of us.

Full Clip
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Te only Wolf x39 that is okay at Angeles is the "yellow box" stuff that is no longer readily available. It has a full-copper jacket. As seen on the left here:

http://www.ar-15.us/pic/shootout/001_00036.jpg

Black Box, Mil Classic and the SPs are all bi-metal jacketed and will attract a magnet. They will check your ammo at Angeles, so my suggestion is to buy a magnet and check your ammo before you go. Leave the "bad" stuff at home.

Addax
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
That is the Wolf Ammo I use at Angeles.
Steel Case, but Copper Jacketed Lead Core.
Ok with folks at Angeles.

Te only Wolf x39 that is okay at Angeles is the "yellow box" stuff that is no longer readily available. It has a full-copper jacket. As seen on the left here:

http://www.ar-15.us/pic/shootout/001_00036.jpg

Black Box, Mil Classic and the SPs are all bi-metal jacketed and will attract a magnet. They will check your ammo at Angeles, so my suggestion is to buy a magnet and check your ammo before you go. Leave the "bad" stuff at home.

BP88
06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
I see people shoot Wolf all of the time at Burro. As long as it's not steel core ammunition - they don't care what you shoot.

bigstick61
06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
They sell Wolf ammo at Burro. So I'm sure they're fine with it. While when it was really warm or dry (post-fire) they'd sometimes ask to check a sample of ammo you were using, they didn't always, didn't check to see if you had other ammo, and did not check your ammo on the firing line. When it was wet or cool they usually didn't care.

Now that alot of the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club guys are wokring there now, they are cracking down. They also don't care if the ammo is lead core or not, or if flecks of ferrous metals are a byproduct of the manufacturing process in some of the 2nd world countries, but the jacket is otherwise made of copper; if the magnet sticks, it is bad. They also check on the firing line sometimes now. As someone who shoots mostly surplus ammo, it really sucks.

The magnet police are one of the main reasons why I stopped going to SGVGC. One time, I had only one gun with ammo that did not stick to the magnet and the gun needed to be sent to a gunsmith (I found out that day when it did not work), and the other guns all had ammo the magnet guy would not let me shoot. I told him that meant that I could not shoot at the range, and he said yes. I then said that the ammo ws lead-cored, and it was steel-core ammo that was banned, and he said that my ammo was all armor-piercing steel core. I told him that was not true (he insisted it was) and that as a student, all I could afford was Wolf for what it was available for, and also surplus ammo., and that most commercial ammo was way too expsnive for me. He said that if that's the case, I should not own guns or shoot until I can afford to pay for expensive ammo that his magnet does not stick to. I never went back to SGVGC after that. Their rigidity on targets, disallowal of rapid fire, and their increasing prices combined with their magnet police made me not want to patronize them anymore. The magnet police were the last straw. I hope this does not happen to Burro. On a positive note, it seems that sometimes you won't be bothered, especially during the week, if it has been wet or not very hot.

Full Clip
06-04-2008, 8:15 AM
The magnet police were the last straw. I hope this does not happen to Burro. On a positive note, it seems that sometimes you won't be bothered, especially during the week, if it has been wet or not very hot.

Because they are doing whatever they can to avoid a fire caused by steel-core or jacketed bullets landing in dry brush. I don't like the ammo restrictions at Angeles, but I understand them. And if I want to shoot up my "other" ammo, I'll find a place where it's not a problem. No point in my getting angry about it.

ohsmily
06-04-2008, 9:16 AM

:banghead: Your post made no sense.

Also, who the heck told you "all they allow is Fiocchi." That is ridiculous. Don't ever ask that person for firearm-related advice again.

duenor
06-04-2008, 9:56 AM
guys, I ask humbly that you edit your posts so there is nothing that says "they dont' check ammo". That is my favorite range and if word on the net is that their ROs are lax, or that anything goes, then all sorts of unsavory types will show up. It is untrue that they dont' check ammo (they do), and unlike SGVGC where it was virtually impossible for anyone to se the berm on fire (the berm was like 100 feet tall) it IS possible at BCR and it did happen as I wrote about in my post. this was just last year.

so... YES they do check ammo, YES you should not shoot steel core steel jacket YES the rangers can fine you or BCR if you do YES you can start a fire and YES if you do start a fire expect to spend time in jail and lose everything you own as a result of your stupidity.

even during rain or the day after I NEVER shoot my gun into the hills or anywhere where the projectile might cause sparks. this is just good sense and also safe shooting.

I see IDIOTS at ranges shooting at rocks --- yes i did it too when i was a kid and stupid, but i got smacked hard for it on the back of the head by my neighbor's dad and when it was explained to me why it is dangerous for both myself and the range I never did it again.

shooting rocks causes sparks, chips flying out and back at high speeds, and ricochets.

so... long rant short...

Please be conscious of what you are doing at one of the finest ranges in SoCal.

bigthaiboy
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
ROs at Burro and Angeles will randomly check your ammo especially if they see your rifle looks like it may take mil-surp caliber ammo, eg. .223. .308. 7.62x39, .30-06, 7.72x54R, .303, 8mm, etc. This is because mil-surp is one of the main culprits for using "Bi-metal" (correct term for a lead core with steel jacket plated with either copper, brass or nickel plate) bullet.

The yellow box Wolf 7.62x39 is discontinued and is gone for good. All currently available Russian manufactured Wolf ammo is bi-metal, apart from the Wolf Gold range which is copper jacketed and manifactured for Wolf in the former Yugoslavia. Wolf shotgun ammo is manufactured for Wolf in Germany. Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, Barnaul and some Sellier & Bellot have bi-metal bullets.

Seek out either Prvi-Partisan or Igman (former Yugoslavia) ammo. Copper jacket and at good prices. Wideners stock both brands.

Full Clip
06-05-2008, 6:17 PM
The yellow box Wolf 7.62x39 is discontinued and is gone for good.

Which is why I stockpiled about 4K rounds for future use when it was around...
Note that Angeles sells Fiocchi for about $14 a box, while CTD has it for $7.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/39277-54894-258.html

Now I'm slowly stocking up on that... ammo is only going up.