PDA

View Full Version : Good place to shoot in Reno area?

vf111
06-03-2008, 4:20 PM
A couple of buddies and I are planning on a day trip to Reno to "let our OLL's roam free". I found the enclosed thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80821&highlight=reno

but it talks about a place south of Tahoe (will have to check that out next time I'm in Tahoe). Since we are planning on going into Reno afterwards for dinner and some "non-firearms related" activity, Reno is a better bet than Lake Tahoe for us. We do not want to go to a range but rather stick to BLM land. Anyone have some recommendations? TIA.

tazmanian devil dog
06-03-2008, 4:54 PM
Try taking the Derby Dam exit of interstate 80, which is about 20 miles east of Sparks. Check your map. Take the exit and bear left. You'll see the shooting area. Great place to shoot.

Also, try the Carson City range off hwy 50 near the dump. It's on the right hand side of 50. This range is non supervised. No rangemaster to yell at ya.

Hope this helps.

NVR SRNDR
06-14-2008, 1:31 AM
Glad I found this thread. Now I know where to go next time I go to Reno or Tahoe. And I won't have to worry about a misinformed LEO second guessing an OLL.

thefurball
06-14-2008, 5:52 AM
There are no OLLs in Nevada as there is no 'list' in Nevada! :cheers2:

Plenty of BLM land to shoot on as well.

CSACANNONEER
06-14-2008, 6:08 AM
DO NOT shoot anywhere in Washoe County unless it's at a range. While it may be safe and no one ever bothers you, Washoe County has a law similar to Clarke County which makes it illegal to discharge a firearm within the county unless, certain requirements are ment. I'm just repeating what I've been told by a few Washoe County residents who are very involved in shooting sports. I take the extra precaution of making sure that I'm outside of Washoe County and NOT on Indian land if I'm plinking in the middle of no where.

jegonzo3
06-14-2008, 6:11 AM
Also, try the Carson City range off hwy 50 near the dump. It's on the right hand side of 50. This range is non supervised. No rangemaster to yell at ya.

Yeah, try this place, I go here all the time. If you go past it a little ways, there is also a gun shop about 1-2 miles down the road.

jegonzo3

domokun
06-14-2008, 8:56 AM
Mustang Range?
http://mustangrange.org/

yallknowho
06-14-2008, 9:00 AM
great info here, I was going to ask a similar question. Are there any good camping spots around this area where you can make fires and has a river nearby?

6172crew
06-14-2008, 9:08 AM
The mustang range is private, you cant just show up but you can call ahead and see about shooting the machine guns.

The best place to go around here is the Carson City land fill....there really isntr any range in "Reno" and most places are around 20-30 outside of Reno so you might as well go to Carson imo.

I will be there later to shoot the mini Uzi myself.:)

A'sDad
08-19-2008, 2:57 PM
+1 on Carson City. Carson Armory off Hwy 50 is a great gunshop.