View Full Version : 10/22 Volquartsen issues

06-03-2008, 8:05 AM
So I decided to pretty much replace my 10/22's internals with a volquartsen action kit, and now the damn thing doesn't reset the hammer anymore. I'm not sure if the hammer spring is too strong and my ammo doesn't have the power to get the sear to catch, or if there's something else wrong with it. I already figured out that Volquartsen's hammer is too long and interferes with the rifle's safety (and very very carefully shaved the excess metal away so that it'd function properly) but now it's pretty much a straight pull bolt action. The bolt travels back far enough for the next round to load, but since the hammer doesn't reset, I have to pull the bolt and the chambered round ejects.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?

06-03-2008, 9:18 AM
Call Scott at Volquartsen -- they stand behind their stuff 100% -- it may be the trigger group to a magnum -- or 1 17HR2 -- they all have different spring strengths. Call Scott (Scott Volquartsen) and tell him what's going on.

06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Try using the original hammer spring. Also, I don't remember, but does the kit come with an adjustable sear. If so, you may have to adjust the take up to allow more movement for the hammer to reset.

06-03-2008, 1:41 PM
Most people say to use the origional hammer spring. Also make sure it's installed correctly. The plunger should have the notch facing up.

06-03-2008, 2:05 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I just ignored the sticky safety since i never use it. After firing a few hundred rounds or so of cci mini mags it started to not reset the trigger. I figured the gun was just dirty and gave a cleaning and lubing.

I went to shoot again but this time the trigger reset problem happened after a hundred rounds. I noticed the chamber was getting really dirty really fast.

I realised I was putting to much oil on the bolt and reciever when I cleaned it causing the rifle to get dirty really fast. I guess I am just used to oiling the crap out of my ar's.

The next time i cleaned it i put just a drop on the bolt carrier only and it has been running fine ever since.

Thats how I solved my problem

edit, i forgot to mention i have the replacement trigger group that you just drop in the model number is vq1022tg-b.

06-03-2008, 2:51 PM
Make sure the hammer rebound spring is not upside down and do not over lubricate. No oil on the sear.

06-05-2008, 7:47 AM
Most people say to use the origional hammer spring. Also make sure it's installed correctly. The plunger should have the notch facing up.

The issue with that though, is that Volquartsen changed their hammer design to one that doesn't use the ruger "post-style" spring and rather uses one that sorta wraps around the hammer bushings and contacts the back of the hammer, and somewhere in the frame.

Yea, I guess I'll give them a call.