PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10-22 Stainless or Black?

insin
06-02-2008, 9:34 PM
The title says it. Big 5 is having a sale on both so before buying at had to get other opinions. I am leaning toward the stainless model. I don't care for the plastic stock, however as with most 10-22 owners the stock with be swapped out for something aftermarket (along with most other parts).

That said, what do you think? Your input is appreciated.

~Dj

insin
06-02-2008, 9:36 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion to look into for a bolt action .22lr as an alternative?

ohsmily
06-02-2008, 9:36 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=search&storeid=2504019&searchtext=10%2F22&go=Go
What is Big 5 advertising them for?

RedDawn
06-02-2008, 9:38 PM
Get both.
Upgrade one however you'd like and keep the other stock.

If you can only afford one, get the stainless.

postal
06-02-2008, 9:38 PM
I know a lot of people that like savage mkII and CZ 452 for bolt actions. I have 2 black 10/22.s Wouldnt mind a bolt action.

X-NewYawker
06-03-2008, 5:48 AM
I get the cheapest one as I am replacing the barrel. The "White" receivers are actually tighter to get replacement barrels into. I buy the black carbine and replace everything except the receiver.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/10-22s.jpg

Wildhawk66
06-03-2008, 6:25 AM
Not sure if this is true or not, but I had heard that the receivers on the stainless and the black models are both the same aluminum and that the black model has just been painted. I believe you can strip the black off of that model easily and if your planning on changing the barrel anyway, you can save some money and still end up with a stainless model if thats the look your going for. check out www.rimfirecentral.com they will probably have pages of info on striping the receiver.

Harbinger
06-03-2008, 6:43 AM
Not sure if this is true or not, but I had heard that the receivers on the stainless and the black models are both the same aluminum and that the black model has just been painted.

Both receivers are made from an aluminum alloy that has been painted. The 'stainless' model simply has a glossy, SS colored paint. I stripped mine off because it was bubbling and peeling. Eventually, I repainted it with Alumahyde.

ETA: Stripping can be done with brake cleaner and/or MEK. I also had to use a bit of elbow grease and 000 steel wool.

Mike