View Full Version : 99% Rommy G and Tantal build pics

06-02-2008, 9:15 PM
Neither of these rifles has the FCG in them. I have the parts just running out of steam on this AK building spree.. in fact I'm already thinking of selling my unissued 86 Rommy G kit that I've already riveted up into an NDS3 and we won't even get into the nightmare my AK74s kit has been. See I'm somewhat of a perfectionist yet I seem to lack the skills to make a perfect AK.

This first one is the first AK I ever built. It's built on a "Rusty $99.00 special" Rommy G kit with Bulgarian furniture. For those that were there, this was the AK I had at the Sacramento build party. I finally got around to parking it on Saturday.

The park job turned out.. eh... I don't know how but somehow I didn't degrease this all the way and the park has "runs" in it. It's not too bad but it doesn't make me happy. What's strange is I spent extra time to degrease this one since it had been passed around at the build party so go figure. The greyish color is what I wanted. I might blast and repark but that won't be for a while. I still need to blast and park the US brake and the cleaning rod. That's why it's missing.

This next one is the first 74 I've built. It's a from an unissued Polish Tantal kit I picked up for $250.00 shipped last year. I used acetone to take the original paint off down to the factory zinc park. I then riveted up the receiver, blasted and parked it. I then assembled and used Semi-Gloss black Molyresin on the whole thing. It turned out pretty nice but I'm NOT a painter so it's not "perfect"

06-02-2008, 9:39 PM
Took you long enough to post pics...hehe.

Both look great, especially the wood on both.

What's your secret on getting the wood to look so nice?
And why didn't you share the secret at the party? :p

06-02-2008, 9:45 PM
Those look great, you do have nice wood. I really like that 74.

06-02-2008, 9:47 PM
very nice job. congrats

06-02-2008, 9:48 PM
What's your secret on getting the wood to look so nice?
And why didn't you share the secret at the party? :p

Pssssss...come closer...closer...

buy it from someone that makes it real nice

Looks good Joe!

06-02-2008, 9:50 PM
Wow, very nice builds.
I especially like the AK74.

06-02-2008, 9:52 PM
did you bend the tantal from flat? doesn't say if it's a nodakspud or flat on the tantal.

06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Never sell! You...... must..... resist....

If you are gonna blast and park it again, let me know. Come over and knock it out. I gotta give the cab and tank back soon but we are champs at it now. To avoid the streaking... try boiling water. It sucks all the oils out of the metal and it floats to top, then skim it off with a paper towel. We didnt even really bother with much acetone.

Man those are sweet. Love the wood.

I just need to press in my barrel and assemble.

06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the comments guys

To answer some questions.

All my builds are on Nodak receivers.

It took me this long to post because I finished these up Saturday. It took a while for me to get replacement parts for the jigs that were damaged at the build party. There was also that vacation to Mexico I took for a week that really got me behind in a bunch of things. I have a third one, my 1977 G kit, that is kinda done. I need to clean up the Molyresin job I did on it and put it back together. Maybe next weekend. That one is all K-Var US Bulgarian copy black plastic. My 74s is going to be Us made Russian laminate.

Thanks for the offer Weezil. I might just do that since my home blast cabinet SUCKS! You can come over whenever to use the press as well. As soon as I finish my last rifle I'm putting all the stuff up for sale.

As for the wood.. The Rommy G has FACTORY Bulgarian wood and that's a factory Bulgy plastic grip. I picked up the set for $50.00 and the only thing I did was blast, park and molyresin the buttplate because it was a little worn. The rest is how it came. I had to replace the gas piston and the slat brake with a US one just so I could use those parts.

The Tantal.. has no wood on it. What you are looking at is "quilted bakelite." When I first saw it I thought it was quilted maple until I picked it up. One of the joys of an unissued kit is the perfect condition furniture that comes with it :)

06-02-2008, 11:10 PM
very nice! Love the finish on the G.

06-03-2008, 12:31 AM
nice tantal! I like the lower HG on it.:cool:

06-03-2008, 9:19 AM
Very nice looking rifles. Threads like this are what make me want to get mine together! :)