PDA

View Full Version : APS – 05-31-08 – Tac/Prec Match Report

Timberwolf
06-02-2008, 9:57 PM
APS – 05-31-08 – Tac/Prec Match Report

This past Saturday we had our monthly Tac/Prec Rifle Match at A Place to Shoot in Saugus, California. The day was sunny, warm and surprisingly not very windy though our usual morning thermals whipping through our little canyon made some of the longer shots a challenge.

Plaques were awarded to the top three competitors as follows: First Place – Joseph Hernandez; Second Place – Pascal Bauder; Third Place – Adam Bacon.

The following is a breakdown of the six courses of fire:

Stage I – 200 Yard CBS

Self explanatory – this was a one shot take all stage with the shooters taking their CBS at a 3” dot 200 yards away. Surprisingly only five or the seventeen shooters hit their CBS for the 200 points.

Stage II – 850 YARD SPANK THE BUFF

The second course of fire is pretty explanatory from its title. In this stage the shooters engaged our also infamous Buff at 850 yards from an improvised position, kneeling and leaning on a table. This was scored on decreasing value - the shooter had a max of two shots to hit the target. If hit in the first shot the shooter rec’d 100 pts; if the first shot was missed the shooter was allowed a second shot and if a hit was achieved it was worth 50 pts. One person “spanked the Buff” on their first shot, and one other hit it on their second shot.

Stage III – RETAKE THE RANGE HOUSE AND SAVE THE HOSTAGES.

In this stage the goal was to “drop” the bad guys rushing the range house and then proceed to save the hostages by hitting the bad guy with one round. The bad guys rushing the range house were full size metal poppers at approx 17 yards and 15 yards and the other bad guy was between two hostages at 100 yards. This was a two gun even wherein the shooter engaged the poppers with a 12 ga shotgun (furnished by me) with one round each (target load 8 shot) and the engaged the hostage with their rifles in an improvised kneeling position from the window of the range house. Dropping the poppers counted as 25 pts each and hitting the bad guy on the hostage target was 50 pts. However, if a hostage was hit there was a 100 point deduction meaning if you dropped both poppers but hit a hostage you’d end up with a negative 50 points for the stage. Unfortunately for the hostages this occurred several times.

Stage IV – KNOW YOUR LIMIT

This stage was a “know your limit” with a total of six dots ranging in size from 1.5” decreasing to .5”. The dots were white in a black square. The rules were that you could stop anywhere in the process you wanted but if you missed (including hitting the black area around the dot) you zeroed your score for the entire target. Unfortunately everyone zeroed his score.

Stage V – 100 YARD 5 DOT DRILL – PRONE – LAY AND WAIT

This stage is a cousin to the normal dot drill that has become a norm at my matches. This stage is shot the same way basically as a normal dot drill except the shooters only take their individual shots (five total) when directed to, one at a time over a 15 – 30 minute time frame. The dots were ¾” and the stage lasted approximately 18 mins.

STAGE VI- STEEL AT 150 AND 350

In this last stage I decided to give the shooters a break after the hostage, know your limit and dot drill. In this stage the competitors engaged a steel plate from prone at 150 yards with 2 rounds then shifted about 30 deg to their right and engaged another plate at 350 yards with 3 rounds. These shots were uphill at over a 20 deg angle. All did rather well and were able to make up some points.

All in all it was a very good match and all did very well.

Vu 308
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Stage III – RETAKE THE RANGE HOUSE AND SAVE THE HOSTAGES.

In this stage the goal was to “drop” the bad guys rushing the range house and then proceed to save the hostages by hitting the bad guy with one round. The bad guys rushing the range house were full size metal poppers at approx 17 yards and 15 yards and the other bad guy was between two hostages at 100 yards. This was a two gun even wherein the shooter engaged the poppers with a 12 ga shotgun (furnished by me) with one round each (target load 8 shot) and the engaged the hostage with their rifles in an improvised kneeling position from the window of the range house. Dropping the poppers counted as 25 pts each and hitting the bad guy on the hostage target was 50 pts. However, if a hostage was hit there was a 100 point deduction meaning if you dropped both poppers but hit a hostage you’d end up with a negative 50 points for the stage. Unfortunately for the hostages this occurred several times.

Whoa...no tuck and roll? :D

Prc329
06-03-2008, 8:10 AM
Damn, kinda upset I messed that one. Just couldn't make the 3.5 hour drive. I would have had to leave my house at around 3am. Just couldn't do.

pottymouth310
06-03-2008, 9:27 AM
Great job Bill! it was a fun event.
Now that I kinda know the COF I'll be better prepared next time...
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC03386.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC03389.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/skylinegtr4u/DSC03385.jpg

Pthfndr
06-03-2008, 5:45 PM
What's with the mats? I thought you guys didn't use any of the "luxuries".

Cypriss32
06-03-2008, 7:40 PM
I have a "Tacitical Blanket".

Vu 308
06-03-2008, 9:48 PM
Rob,

It's part of the no shooter left behind program. Setup time is nothing like our 60 seconds...and go.

+ when you shoot all those brakes you need mats or else they would kick up a lot of dirt and get them pretty things dirty. =)

Cypriss32
06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Damm no pics of me, Dont want to make you pritty boys or Nor cal jelous. My rifle was pritty, Its not krylon tan.

rksimple
06-04-2008, 7:06 AM
Did you do any prep work Adam? Was it moly'd before?

Cypriss32
06-04-2008, 7:11 AM
It had moly on it before. But it was a ****ty job and started to come off in spots. The first paint was the Hight Quality paint with texture on it, 8 bucks a can stuff. Did the B/A, let it sit for a few days. The It got too hot being it was black, so i grabed the tan paint I had and painted the WHOLE rifle, except scope, rings, and the inner ally chassis. I would recomend using some of the better quality paint thow. Mine was pritty cheap and flakes off. Im gona go back to the depot and find some more paints today.