View Full Version : AR15 Magazine conversions?

06-02-2008, 4:34 PM
Hello all,

I just finished my first AR build and am looking for some magazines, but I am just appalled that we here in California have to pay more for 10rd versus a 30, and to get a 10/30 we're paying twice as much as for a normal 30.

My questions is: What is the legality in buying 30rd magazines as parts kits and converting them over to 10rd? How would it have to be fixed to only accept 10rds? as in, would it be reversible if you were to move out of state?

I searched the forum a bit and didn't find anything really, and the web turned up a lot of .22 conversion mags. I'm sure I could just go to arfcom, but those guys can get hostile. So if anyone knows or has done this I would love to hear about it! thanks!

06-02-2008, 4:44 PM


06-02-2008, 4:46 PM
Can it be reversible? NO! Absolutely not, mag has to be PERMANENTLY altered to accept 10rds.

06-02-2008, 7:11 PM
Can it be reversible? NO! Absolutely not, mag has to be PERMANENTLY altered to accept 10rds.

It seems that I was not totally clear... by "reversible", rather I meant. does it have to be "permanent" like a "fixed magazine" where it must be removed with a tool. or a "fixed" muzzle break, where it could be removed, with the proper equipment and machinery. sorry for the confusion :p

and those links really helped! thanks C.G!

06-02-2008, 7:17 PM
IIRC, the magazine conversion must be 100% irreversible. As in cut the spring, fill the gap with epoxy, or put a solid rivet through the magazine body.

06-02-2008, 8:09 PM
Here's my take on the rivet idea, take it for what it's worth. If you think using a pop rivet or even a solid rivet is enough that's on you. I just had my annual Cal DOJ inspection and asked about using my Hi Cap mag permit to bring magazines into the state and then modifying them to 10 rounders for resale. I was told that doing so was within the use of my permit. Next I asked some questions regarding the method used to limit the magazine to 10 rounds. I asked specifically about using a rivet and was told that that was not permanent enough because it could simply be drilled out and voila you have a high cap mag albeit one with a small hole. I know there are some guys selling mags with rivets in them and that's their deal however I recommend that you find a more permanent solution that actually requires more substantial effort to reverse. Also IMO, cut springs alone aren't enough, neither is adding a spacer that is not permanently bonded to the mag body.

Just my thoughts,


06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
How are the companies who ship 20/10 and 30/10 mags to CA doing it? C Products sells blocked magazines to CA, but I don't know how they block them... Of course, they also sell "hi-cap magazine rebuild kits" to CA.