PDA

View Full Version : How did my build get so expensive?

Vin496
06-02-2008, 8:30 AM
I am finally getting pieces in for my AR put together, and I'm looking at everything at it hits me, that I spent way more than I thought I would, when I started.

I naively figured this would cost me around $1500 when I started, but my no self control mentality quickly put that figure in the dust.

Ohh gotta have a UBR, oh my troy sight, I'll take em. What's this a LaRue FUG me wants that too. What's that over there a shiny ACOG, well how can I shoot without that.

Thanks guys, I was content with just my Pistolas till I found this place. Now I'm out of control.

Worst part, is I have everything, but my upper(which should ship this week), so I don't even have anything to put this stuff on.

Guess I'll go downstairs and cut me out a cardboard upper, marker it black, and lay everything on the floor, and act like it's all cool.

Synergy
06-02-2008, 8:33 AM
I just picked up two lowers from J&J during their sale. I am scared my build may be the same. Its a black rifle disease.

jakjakman
06-02-2008, 9:18 AM
Lol, just take it slow man. :) Get your core rifle first and learn your irons while you make your other part buys from month to month.

RedDawn
06-02-2008, 9:37 AM
AR's are terrible rifles.:D
You may have to take out a loan to complete your build.;)

Booshanky
06-02-2008, 9:38 AM
Me too. I planned on spending around 1200 but I'm up around 2100 now.

Vin496
06-02-2008, 9:39 AM
AR's are terrible rifles.:D
You may have to take out a loan to complete your build.;)

Maybe I should have got a Sig!:D

///D
06-02-2008, 9:49 AM
It definitely fools you....start off w/ a measly 150 or so lower, parts kit, stock, etc. You think your almost done but little do u know you have a looong way to go. Builds can get easily over 3,000 easy especially if you like your glass (Leupold, NF, S&B, USO, etc).

MrLogan
06-02-2008, 9:55 AM
You and Booshanky have both caught the BRD. ;)

Vin496
06-02-2008, 10:19 AM
It definitely fools you....start off w/ a measly 150 or so lower, parts kit, stock, etc. You think your almost done but little do u know you have a looong way to go. Builds can get easily over 3,000 easy especially if you like your glass (Leupold, NF, S&B, USO, etc).

I'm already past the $2500 mark(not including the ACOG TA11F), and I still don't have a few parts I want like rail covers, sling the "little' stuff.

Seriously, I had no clue it would get so expensive so quick. It wasn't till I actually laid everything out in front of me and started adding it up. That's when it hit me.

Man my 1st AK(Type 56-1, folding stock) I bought when I was 15 cost me $300, I saved up and my Mom bought it for me in 87, when I was 18 I bought my Colt AR-15A2 HB for around $800 new.

Damn I miss those young in Texas days. Luckily I still own both and never brought them out here with me.

Socal858
06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Lol, just take it slow man. :) Get your core rifle first and learn your irons while you make your other part buys from month to month.

x2. learn irons first, they are a fundamental skill, and they save money for cheapasses like me

lakai
06-02-2008, 8:02 PM
I think mfingar and stickman are the two most contagious BRD spreaders with their nice pictures of $4000 builds

Okami
06-02-2008, 8:15 PM
I recently picked up a complete lower to "put away" Yeah, right lol...
I've been avoiding that as i didn't have anything in 5.56 and did not want to get caught up in another caliber/ money pit. Well, now i've got half a case of XM193 and everything to complete the rifle on the way.

I figured ok, i'll do a KISS build and keep it a simple GUU5P clone. Well, now i'm looking at a middy upper from Noveske that will probably turn into a complete rifle as well...:shrug: what do you do i guess it's hopeless...:44:

norcal-ar
06-02-2008, 8:46 PM
welcome to the club mine started as a $1,000 and under build now im getting ready to go buy just the upper tomorrow for $1,050 plus 8.75%tax and it will still need sights.and i might add im already $700ish into the lower.

Vin496
06-02-2008, 8:47 PM
I recently picked up a complete lower to "put away" Yeah, right lol...
I've been avoiding that as i didn't have anything in 5.56 and did not want to get caught up in another caliber/ money pit. Well, now i've got half a case of XM193 and everything to complete the rifle on the way.

I figured ok, i'll do a KISS build and keep it a simple GUU5P clone. Well, now i'm looking at a middy upper from Noveske that will probably turn into a complete rifle as well...:shrug: what do you do i guess it's hopeless...:44:

Yeah I figured, I'd get a lower then just a readily available Stag upper. Well that went out the window weeks ago, no I had to go and order a Larue Stealth Upper. Looked and liked both the LMT MRP and the Noveske, but in the end, this Texas boy went with the Texas company, and yes, that's why I chose em.

norcal-ar
06-03-2008, 5:33 AM
what length upper did u pick up?

Yeah I figured, I'd get a lower then just a readily available Stag upper. Well that went out the window weeks ago, no I had to go and order a Larue Stealth Upper. Looked and liked both the LMT MRP and the Noveske, but in the end, this Texas boy went with the Texas company, and yes, that's why I chose em.

geeknow
06-03-2008, 6:31 AM
Ha Ha Ha. And BRD claims a few more. But seriously...dont forget match triggers. They make a huge difference. I recommend everybody secure a few extra lowers. Never know which way the political winds will blow:cool2:

torsf
06-03-2008, 6:55 AM
I started off with two lowers, with the intention of getting two more this year. I was going to build an m4gery, save the 3 lowers, and move onto getting an AK.

Right now I have the lower half of the m4gery built & the money nearly saved up the for upper, a nearly complete SDM-R rifle (needs glass & match trigger), and the extra a2 pistol grip & stock trigger will 'need to go' somewhere. I also have my CC number memorized, so I have a feeling I'm about to order some stuff in a minute...

Of course, my wife has no idea how much this stuff costs... and it's so much easier to buy a lower & sneak the rifle(s) in...piece by piece.... :43:

I love BRD

Okami
06-03-2008, 8:33 AM
Ha Ha Ha. And BRD claims a few more. I recommend everybody secure a few extra lowers.

If i did that after what happened with my last "lower i bought to put away" i'd be living on the street!:eek:

;)

casting kid
06-03-2008, 8:48 AM
another victim of this incurable illness, BRD. spread it!

"god created men, but colt made them equal"

Vin496
06-03-2008, 9:03 AM
what length upper did u pick up?

16 inch with 12 inch handrail.

fairfaxjim
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Of course, my wife has no idea how much this stuff costs... and it's so much easier to buy a lower & sneak the rifle(s) in...piece by piece.... :43:

I love BRD

My wife looks at the ever growing pile of AR's and says "Don't buy anymore rifles." I just tell her, "it's ok, I made these out of some parts I got, I didn't buy any more rifles." It still works:D

Full Clip
06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I recently tried to "cure" my BRD with a dose of Romy PSL. We'll see if it takes.

Spyduh
06-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I caught BRD like it was the plague.

I decided to buy 2 lowers and store 1 away for the future, just in case the laws change. Then some how I started configuring both at the same time. Next thing you know I'm at $2700 and didn't buy optics yet. =( Did I mention I got no ammo yet either! I got nada to shoot and thats another $400 bucks or so for a case of 1k xm193

Donut
06-03-2008, 1:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how I spent almost $1,100 on a budget KISS build.

angst18
06-03-2008, 1:26 PM
right there with you - it's those darn shipping charges that are killing me (along with all of the cool mods, of course) - just can't be happy with all of one company's parts...not to mention that second lower I bought that's staring accusingly at me from my gun table...all naked and alone...

Spyduh
06-03-2008, 1:36 PM
right there with you - it's those darn shipping charges that are killing me (along with all of the cool mods, of course) - just can't be happy with all of one company's parts...not to mention that second lower I bought that's staring accusingly at me from my gun table...all naked and alone...

Exactly how I started building it. I figured, hell if I'm buying parts I might as well buy a few extra to "SAVE" on the shipping cost. I sure did save on the shipping cost but ended up paying more to build both :eek:

Your buddy is lonely, you need to give him a friend to sit next with.

bobgengeskahn
06-03-2008, 4:35 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how I spent almost $1,100 on a budget KISS build.

Me too :shrug:... simple A2 build with a few used parts has already got me around $1100 without extra mags or even tricking out my lower yet :eek:... and now I think I need to trade out my bullet button for the Prince50 and that new B-15 :yes:

norcal-ar
06-03-2008, 9:01 PM
went and bought my upper from irvington tonight and got to see a b-15 in person and it looks awesome! im waiting for people to use it so i can get feed back.
Me too :shrug:... simple A2 build with a few used parts has already got me around $1100 without extra mags or even tricking out my lower yet :eek:... and now I think I need to trade out my bullet button for the Prince50 and that new B-15 :yes:

lakai
06-04-2008, 5:07 AM

You'll be waiting for awhile. My wait is going on 4 weeks now. I ended spending another wad of money building another rifle while waiting.

Vin496
06-04-2008, 8:20 AM
You'll be waiting for awhile. My wait is going on 4 weeks now. I ended spending another wad of money building another rifle while waiting.

Same as you, I'm on my 4th week now.

novanryder
06-04-2008, 8:42 AM
I started with a pre-built LMT lower with a SOPMOD stock and said hmmm... look at all these other cool parts that could go on there! OOH lookey MAGPUL!! oh wow BARREL FLUTING! holy crap, monolithic uppers! match triggers! shiny BCGs! pneumatic buffers! GAH!!

RobG
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I hear ya. A friend asked about building one and wanted to know the cash I had in mine. I told him about 1200 then I began to list all the pieces and prices. He laughed at my "math error" as I actually was more like 2200:shock: I still tell my wife 750 though:D

zemperfi1971
06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Totally understand where everyone is coming from...
I had registered a AW lower thinking that in the future it would not cost me that much but:

registered aw lower (Armalite eagle arms) = priceless..... (can't register anymore) bought though for around 175 before the ban.

POF upper - 1275
Magpul UBR and MIAD - 300
Magpul trigger thingy - 20
GPS GripPod - 100
Rock River Arms Lower Kit plus Timney trigger upgrade KNS anti walk - 235
Larue Battle Light -250
Laser - 150
Enidine buffer - 80
Troy sights - still on order because of crappy us postal problems 215
Eotech 553 - 500

I'm already at 3300.

Thinking about upgrading to SCOPED rifle..oh no...that would mean more money...

Can't fathom a $4000 AR...but I'm getting there, add in my ELCAN..then we are there...

randy
06-04-2008, 11:38 PM
NorCal don't worry about the $$$ you spent your gun is going to shoot like people won't believe.

Remember it's not the first shot that will show how well it shoots its when you do a double tap.

lakai
06-05-2008, 2:20 AM

Let me know when yours ships :cool2: I ordered a 16" with 13.2" rail.

novanryder
06-05-2008, 1:24 PM
NorCal don't worry about the $$$ you spent your gun is going to shoot like people won't believe.

Remember it's not the first shot that will show how well it shoots its when you do a double tap.

Speaking of double tap, most ranges don't allow that... I've been building my ARs with quality parts just because I can't stand to have a crap gun, but what exactly makes a double/triple tap so accurate in terms of parts and such? I saw a youtube video of some guy making repeated triple taps through a whole magazine at 500yds and you could hear the PING of the target he was hitting after a slight delay. I want to do that. :) I might as well list what I've used in my guns so far, so if anyone has any insights for how to improve repeatable accuracy let me know.

Vltor .223
-Vltor "monolithic" mid-length upper
-Sabre 18" Vanadium barrel 1:8" twist mid-length gas system
-All chromed lower parts... and I mean ALL, though for the trigger I'm going to put in my RRA NM 2stg trigger
-PRS stock with AC4 pneumatic buffer (yes I know, overkill but it's so smooth)
-Chromed bolt carrier
-Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN

Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel
-AA beefy upper receiver with chromed bolt and side charging handle
-Sabre 20" stainless steel barrel, 1:9" twist, mid length gas system
-Sabre matched bolt
-PRS stock with AC4 pneumatic buffer (yes, I love them)
-AA single stage match trigger
-FF MI rail
-All chromed lower parts
-NCStar 10-40x scope

Someone please let me know what scopes are reliable/accurate for a good price. Leupolds are just so $$$... what other brands have bang for the buck? No pun intended. :P

Vin496
06-05-2008, 1:31 PM
Oh man you go all out then get cheap on the scope? LOL!

Reminds me of guys who buy a motorcycle that can do 190mph for 12K, but don't want to spend more than $100 for a helmet.

novanryder
06-06-2008, 9:43 AM
HA HA HA yeah it's because I don't know what scope to get yet. I've been lookin at Leupolds but can I get similar performance for less? A really nice Leupold costs about as much as a whole decent gun.

lakai
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM

I got an update on the uppers. Right now they are getting anodized and for me at least, can expect to have it shipped by the end of next week.

novanryder
06-06-2008, 11:29 AM
C'mon guys, what do you think we were given 2 arms, 2 legs, and 2 kidneys for?!?! For selling on the black market to complete our builds!!!

Rugerman
06-06-2008, 8:30 PM
Maybe we should start calling it the BRP(Black Rifle Plague) :chris:

Seriously though. After watching the .223 Self Loading Rifle thread grow since day one with all those builds, I'm finally breaking down and getting my first OLL soon after the funds get here :D

Soon theres even going to be a new AA (AR's Anonymous) :p

P.S. I hate all you evil men. My mother always told me to stay away from people like you. She was right, you do make me use all my money! ;)

dgc357
06-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I started out buying my LPK and was going to buy one or two parts per paycheck. The day my LPK came I got on the internet and bought as much as i could afford. Now Im over $2500 deep and I can't stop. Help me!!!
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/dgc357/IMG_1325-2.jpg

Ech0Sierra
06-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I did the same thing. My first build was with a Daniel Defense upper, RRA 2-stage LPK, Magpul M93, Magpul MIAD, and lots of 10/30 mags.

Vin496
06-09-2008, 1:46 PM
Let me know when yours ships :cool2: I ordered a 16" with 13.2" rail.

Ordered on 5/14 shipped out today.

radioburning
06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi, my name is Rusty, and I'm an addict. It started off innocently enough. You know, a 10/22-just on weekends. It wasn't long before that wasn't enough, though. Soon I was spending all my money on "toys". I knew I hit rock bottom when I went into Turner's and asked "how much for that box of 7.62x39?" "Really?" "Well, how much for just one bullet?""Let me get one bullet on credit, man!" I lost many girlfriends and have a seriously depleted bank account due to this dreadful scourge. Thanks for listening to my story. I need a cup of coffee and a cigarette now...;)