PDA

View Full Version : my buddys rifle(OLL) is jammed how do i get it unstuck?

norcal-ar
06-02-2008, 5:54 AM
the rifle i just finished for my friend: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=102568
he took it out saturday to start breaking it in per dpms instructions. he got to about the 25th round and he said he heard it click but nothing came out. of course he was using reloaded ammo to break it in which i think would be a big no no.

he did not clean it before he took it out to fire it and all he did to clean it between shots is run a bore snake through it. im pretty sure he did not lube anything either so not sure what the cause was, but we need to get it un jammed. how do we get it to eject the round inside without having to tap the charging handle with a small rubber mallet. btw the charging handle will not pull all the way back. thanx

Booshanky
06-02-2008, 5:58 AM
Remove the mag, and the charging handle should pull the bolt all the way back. Lock the bolt back and push the round out with a cleaning rod.

rksimple
06-02-2008, 6:23 AM
If I understand correctly, the charging handle won't move but a little bit. Grab a hold of the CH with the rifle pointed up and pull it hard while bringing the butt of the rifle down onto a hard flat surface. The extra inertia will get the round out.

pbrand
06-02-2008, 6:28 AM
I had the same problem with mine twice a couple weekends ago. A lazy cleaning job and failure to properly lube was the colpret I hope anyway. I could not pull the charging handle for the life of me so I had to jam a flat head between the bolt carrier to pop the spent casing out. Was a pain in the you know what.

norcal-ar
06-02-2008, 6:39 AM
If I understand correctly, the charging handle won't move but a little bit. Grab a hold of the CH with the rifle pointed up and pull it hard while bringing the butt of the rifle down onto a hard flat surface. The extra inertia will get the round out.

yeah thats exactly it it will only move back a little. i'll give that a shot it seems to be the best non aggressive way to do it.

duenor
06-02-2008, 8:02 AM
I have stomped on the charging handles of rifles that refused to release their shell casings. no big deal.

but your friend is a dumb fish for not cleaning or even lubing his rifle before shooting it.

brokestudent12
06-02-2008, 8:07 AM
reloaded ammo isn't the culprit - LUBE LUBE LUBE!!

ocabj
06-02-2008, 8:09 AM
Lack of lubrication isn't the culprit. It's improperly sized brass, most likely a shoulder headspace issue or not enough sizing on the body, for that specific chamber.

Usually in these situations, you can use the forward assist to push the bolt fully close to fire the round.

I certainly hope the owner of the firearm didn't take that rifle home with the live round still jammed in the chamber...

rksimple
06-02-2008, 8:11 AM
Lack of lubrication isn't the culprit. It's improperly sized brass, most likely a shoulder headspace issue or not enough sizing on the body, for that specific chamber.

Or out of spec pulled bullets that get wedged in there...don't ask...

duenor
06-02-2008, 8:37 AM
I've taken home rifles with live rounds jammed in the rifle. I pulled the bolt out to ensure that it wouldn't get fired while in the trunk, though. This happened when a girl I went with (NEVER leave new shooters unattended for even a second) stuffed a 7.62x54R round into the chamber of an 8mm mauser. (or was it the other way around?)

took it gingerly home, then dropped a cleaning rod down the barrel. pop, it fell out.

Pokey
06-02-2008, 8:37 AM

+1 I have used this technique sucessfully on ARs and others.

Addax
06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
If using reloads, I am pretty sure it is a seating/shoulder problem with the round/case in the chamber, especially only after 25 rounds.

All of the DPMS uppers I receive from them have a little lubricant in the upper and on the BCA already, but it is still always a good idea to lubricate your rifle before shooting regardless. AR or AK, new rifles need to work themselves in and the lubrication helps to keep the rifle from jamming or seizing up, especially when you are breaking her in for the first time.

Follow these steps to help get that stuck round/case out:

Step 1: Remove the magazine from the rifle (if you have the BB installed), and flip on the safety if you are able to.

Step 2:Find a solid surface and put a piece of carpet or a floor mat on the surface so you do not mar up your butt stock / butt plate or even crack the buttplate. If there is a live round in chamber Treat the rifle as a loaded ready to fire rifle and make doubly sure that you are doing this in a safe area or in your backyard. Safety is flipped on (if you can flip it).

Step 3: If the round is partially out of chamber, apply some sort of lubricant down the barrel like CLP or even WD40. Give it about minute to go down the barrel and into the chamber.

Step 4: If your rifle has a collapsible stock, collapse it down all the way.

Step 5: Next, while the rifle is pointed up, raise the rifle approx. 6 inches from the ground and push the rifle down with a little force like you are hammering the carpet with your AR, and at the same time pull down on the charging handle. Don't hammer it down hard, just enough to help get the inertia going to help pull down the charging handle/bolt.

Step 6: Repeat if the round did not pop out the first time. Typically after the 2nd or 3rd attempt you will get movement and the round should pop out. If this does not work, try to go higher like 8-10 inches to create a stronger force/inertia, again while you are pulling down on the charging handle.

Step 7: Once you get the round/case clear from the chamber, Clean and Lubricate the rifle, and since it is an AR, keep the rifle lubricated at all times.

norcal-ar
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
no lube in the barrel though right? it should just be cleaned really well but make sure the action and trigger assemb. are lubed? my ar isnt done so i couldnt tell him anything from experience but before he went and shot i did tell him to clean it at least!! i guess i assumed he would use new rounds first not reloads.

If using reloads, I am pretty sure it is a seating/shoulder problem with the round/case in the chamber, especially only after 25 rounds.

All of the DPMS uppers I receive from them have a little lubricant in the upper and on the BCA already, but it is still always a good idea to lubricate your rifle before shooting regardless. AR or AK, new rifles need to work themselves in and the lubrication helps to keep the rifle from jamming or seizing up, especially when you are breaking her in for the first time.

Follow these steps to help get that stuck round/case out:

Step 1: Remove the magazine from the rifle (if you have the BB installed), and flip on the safety if you are able to.

Step 2:Find a solid surface and put a piece of carpet or a floor mat on the surface so you do not mar up your butt stock / butt plate or even crack the buttplate. If there is a live round in chamber Treat the rifle as a loaded ready to fire rifle and make doubly sure that you are doing this in a safe area or in your backyard. Safety is flipped on (if you can flip it).

Step 3: If the round is partially out of chamber, apply some sort of lubricant down the barrel like CLP or even WD40. Give it about minute to go down the barrel and into the chamber.

Step 4: If your rifle has a collapsible stock, collapse it down all the way.

Step 5: Next, while the rifle is pointed up, raise the rifle approx. 6 inches from the ground and push the rifle down with a little force like you are hammering the carpet with your AR, and at the same time pull down on the charging handle. Don't hammer it down hard, just enough to help get the inertia going to help pull down the charging handle/bolt.

Step 6: Repeat if the round did not pop out the first time. Typically after the 2nd or 3rd attempt you will get movement and the round should pop out. If this does not work, try to go higher like 8-10 inches to create a stronger force/inertia, again while you are pulling down on the charging handle.

Step 7: Once you get the round/case clear from the chamber, Clean and Lubricate the rifle, and since it is an AR, keep the rifle lubricated at all times.

norcal-ar
06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
he heard it "click" but nothing fired. he took the complete upper off before taking it home.

Usually in these situations, you can use the forward assist to push the bolt fully close to fire the round.

I certainly hope the owner of the firearm didn't take that rifle home with the live round still jammed in the chamber...

1lostinspace
06-02-2008, 12:43 PM

+1 you have to hit in on something like a wooden bench with some kind of cushion and then tell your friend to get a small base die.;)

Addax
06-02-2008, 1:41 PM
Personally, after I am done cleaning my rifles (every time I shoot), I typically will spray a little G96 into my barrel (just a single quick short spray) and let it travel down the barrel, and I do this to help to prevent rust from forming on the bare metal of the bore. Chrome Line Barrels do not really need this, but I still do the same with my Chorme Lined barrels as well.

You do not want to leave globs of oily residue in your barrel and go shooting.

Oils in the barrels can affect accuracy from what I have read and experienced, but I also know that some shooters run a patch of Kroil down their barrels sometimes before shooting...

You will want to run a bore snake through the barrel or a dry patch.

Before I shoot, I run a bore snake through the barrel to remove any oil/residue and I Q-tip the chamber and bolt face once more to remove any oil or oil residue.

With the standard AR, it is best to lubricate the inside of the upper assembly and the bolt / bolt carrier assembly.

Not allot, but just enough to coat the surfaces in the right spots since the Bolt Carrier Assembly and the Bolt are the main moving parts, and the lubrication will help to break down the carbon build up in the upper receiver where the bolt carrier assembly travels.

Don't go lube happy on your AR, unless you do not clean and maintain your rifle often, and you shoot allot of rounds.

That is why you see a few posts that refer to keeping your AR wet. This helps to break down the carbon build up in the upper receiver of the AR where the bolt carrier assembly travels.

You will also want to pick up a small pipe cleaner to clean out the gas tube once in a while.

Hope this helps.

no lube in the barrel though right? it should just be cleaned really well but make sure the action and trigger assemb. are lubed? my ar isnt done so i couldnt tell him anything from experience but before he went and shot i did tell him to clean it at least!! i guess i assumed he would use new rounds first not reloads.

Bladewurk
06-02-2008, 2:41 PM
POGO!

Pryde
06-02-2008, 2:49 PM
The correct term for the procedure is to "Mortar".

Addax
06-02-2008, 3:13 PM
Yeah, the AR15 Mortar or Pogo Stick Round removal or Jam Removal procedure.;)

The correct term for the procedure is to "Mortar".

norcal-ar
06-02-2008, 7:31 PM
this worked like a charm!

rksimple
06-02-2008, 7:32 PM
Glad to hear it!