PDA

View Full Version : Want to build my first AR now

Richy
06-01-2008, 9:44 PM
Buddy invited me to the range this morning to shoot some of his rifles, so of course I couldn't say no!

Gone shooting with him before and always wanted to put together an ar15 for myself, but now I'm a little more serious and had a few questions I wanted to ask.

First was for the lower, I was looking at the POF lowers and was wondering are those worth it or should I just go with a regular ar15 lower?

I got to shoot 2 Noveske uppers today, both had the big pig flash suppressor on the end, the funnest though was the 7.5" on the pistol, man what a hoot but I think I'll build a rifle first.

I've been looking at prices and probably do a 14.5" DPMS pinned with Troy hand guards, on a budget so not doing the Noveske route, yet :D

NoobShooter
06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Buddy invited me to the range this morning to shoot some of his rifles, so of course I couldn't say no!

Gone shooting with him before and always wanted to put together an ar15 for myself, but now I'm a little more serious and had a few questions I wanted to ask.

First was for the lower, I was looking at the POF lowers and was wondering are those worth it or should I just go with a regular ar15 lower?

I got to shoot 2 Noveske uppers today, both had the big pig flash suppressor on the end, the funnest though was the 7.5" on the pistol, man what a hoot but I think I'll build a rifle first.

I've been looking at prices and probably do a 14.5" DPMS pinned with Troy hand guards, on a budget so not doing the Noveske route, yet :D

[unsolicited advice]

Congrats on your decision to build your first AR.

If you're on a budget... a lower is a lower... More likely you'll be treating this one like baby...

I would probably spend more money on the upper assembly and some good BUIS or scope. Nothing more frustrating than failure to eject and not hitting a target downrange.

My wishlist of upper assembly characteristics: Windage/elevation adjustable BUIS, flatop, free float barrel, M4 feed ramp, polygonal rifling, and piston-operated...

Minimum barrel length of any centerfired rifle in Kalifornia is 16". Unless you want to risk confiscation and possible fines or worst.

Also, need to spend a few bucks to make the whole thing Kal-legal, i.e. bullet-button.

Have fun!

duenor
06-01-2008, 10:23 PM
make sure it is pinned properly (you probalby know how)

jandmtv
06-03-2008, 7:33 PM
I would recommend a CMMG upper and over a DPMS. While your at it, get a CMMG lower to match the upper.

Good luck.

Dilinger23
06-03-2008, 7:34 PM
oops

DrunkSkunk
06-03-2008, 7:38 PM
I'd love to get his VIS setup, it's got 13.7" with a pinned fire pig suppressor, shot so sweet too!

Shhhhhhhhhh ;) :D

Noveske makes some nice barrels, shoots great.