PDA

View Full Version : Less hassle MMG or BB??

Kings River Kid
06-01-2008, 9:26 AM
Now I know they're both legal, I know that , you know that, everyone on this site knows that. Unfortunately everyone that you might encounter out THERE dosent know that.

My question, your out at the range or in the country side somewhere shooting and an uninformed LEO runs across you, what is less likey to cause you heartburn? a rifle with the MMG or one equiped with a BB?

thanks for the opinions

KRK

sanddragon2004
06-01-2008, 9:30 AM
ive been going to the range every other week for a few months now and have not had anyproblems at both metcalf and sunnyvale gun club.

technique
06-01-2008, 9:32 AM
Either way if they want to hassle you they will.....it's not the compliant parts that get the hassle...its the rifle. I have yet to be hassled though! Use what you want..either way it's all legal.

Jaiofspam
06-01-2008, 9:33 AM
imo, it all depends on the person who hassles you :chris:

Blue
06-01-2008, 9:39 AM
I have yet to be hassled though! Use what you want..either way it's all legal.

+1

My wife let a cop come into the house when I was putting together my 9mm build. I dunno if you guys remember the $4500 in money orders that showed up on my doorstep but thats what he was there for. I hid the gun in the corner and he noticed it and said "I just hope that's registered" :rolleyes: and left it at that.

Kings River Kid
06-01-2008, 9:40 AM
I know its all legal I just dont want to have to spend $40,000 in lawyers fees to prove it LOL

duenor
06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
The U15 is indisputably legal. It significantly changes the look of the rifle and its ergonomics.

Ballistic043
06-01-2008, 10:25 AM
the reality is, when an LEO doesn't know the law he DOESN'T know the law. bullet button, prince50, U15 & MMG. in the un-educated eyes, it makes no difference if you can wrap your thumb around the grip or remove the magazine. if they dont know the law then they are not going to know about some grip or magazine lock.

it doesnt even matter if your rifle is completely neutered or its fully tacticool'ed out! if it follows the shape form and function of an AR15, then to them it is trouble. let me tell you from experience, is not easy to explain yourself even after reciting all the necessary penal codes. sometimes you just cant fix ignorant.

look, if you dont feel comfortable with the possibility of being harassed, then dont build an AR15 or AK type rifle. we are very new to this game of OLL's. and wether people like it or not, its going to take a while for cops/prosecutors to get used to it. til then, have the number of a good lawyer in your phone/wallet and be prepared to use them. because people will continue to be arrested, and those who arent will continue to deny it happens until they are subject to such.

personally, after what happened during my incident, i am not going to go into hiding and stop enjoying AR15 rifles just cause some wackjob couldnt read the law. but i am prepared now; with 10k retainer to lawyers and an aspirin in my pocket. you should be, too.

PIRATE14
06-01-2008, 10:28 AM
The U15 is indisputably legal. It significantly changes the look of the rifle and its ergonomics.

Nothing is indisputable.........

It's the way of FUD.......

ghost
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
if youre so concerned about being hassled by leo,dont buy one.get something you`ll be comfortable shooting with without looking over your shoulders all the time.theres plenty of other rifles that`ll be in your "safe" zone.

Kings River Kid
06-01-2008, 11:25 AM
and thats why I'm asking questions and doing alot of reading. The way I read the laws its perfectly legal. But being a LEO I work with plenty of LEO's who would love nothing more then to put you through the hassle of having to prove your gun is legal. Of course the easiest thing to do would be to have our chief sign a letter and call it a day. unfortunately we have an anti gun chief at the moment. I put in a call to DOJ and got told it would be up to the 58 DA's in the state to try to prosecute or not, no help there. Next step is contacting our local DA, going down that road on Monday.

The other option is something like a M-1a socom, at least then I could flip out the badge at the local toy store and walk away with as many hi-caps as i want.

dunno, depends on what the DA says

nothing4u
06-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Even though it's legal, all it takes is one LEO who doesn't care enough to read the letter of the law, assume it's illegal, confiscate, throw you in jail, and let the DA sort it out.

baselfish
06-01-2008, 4:16 PM
range officers at metcalf san jose dont give my BB a second look at all...

as long as i dont rapid fire and the bolt is open and mag detached on cf - they see it as just another rifle...

seen plenty of other guys with BBs too...

Bf

bohoki
06-01-2008, 4:55 PM
if you have pre-ban large capacity mags the monsterman is less of a hassle

if you only have 10 rounders you might as well have the pistol grip(i suggest the hogue its great)

Solidmch
06-01-2008, 6:20 PM
Get both. As long as you have them configured right, then do not worry.

DedEye
06-01-2008, 6:31 PM
Get both, know the laws, and don't worry unnecessarily. In 99% of circumstances you'll be just fine, and in that last 1%, it hardly matters what kind of weapon you have - whether it's an AR OLL or an M1A, any of them can be midunderstood to be illegal.

bigdave1121
06-01-2008, 8:33 PM
ive been going to the range every other week for a few months now and have not had anyproblems at both metcalf and sunnyvale gun club.

You can come to Los Altos Rod and Gun Club too and we'll never hassle you ;)

LAK Supply
06-01-2008, 8:48 PM
If you're that concerned with getting hassled by LE buy a Mini 14 or an M1A.

duenor
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Kel-Tec SU16CA
Ruger PC9 PC40
HK SL7 SL8

merritt
06-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Depending on the paranoia level... get your self a bolt gun from pre 1899 :P

In reality though I have yet to see anyone hassled over an AR... though my favorite FFL makes a point of not selling most semi-auto rifles even mini-14s ... There are a lot of different comfort levels with guns both in terms of owners and LEOs so its really a personal decision