PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR too heavy?

TonyKat
06-01-2008, 6:26 AM
What do you guys think? Is the Magpul UBR stock too heavy for this setup? (heavy meaning, throwing off the balance)

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/images/ubr.jpg

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_72&products_id=187

Stag-15 Model 2T Pre-Ban (with added carry handle)

Http://www.stagarms.com/cart/images/model-2tbig.gif

Caliber...5.56 Nato Chamber
Upper.....Forged and Mil Spec.
Sights.....A.R.M.S. #40L/Front Post
Barrel.....16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Selector...Standard
Magazine...30 Round**
Stock......6 Position Collapsible
Handguard...Samson MRFS-C Rail

marxdspot
06-01-2008, 6:42 AM
The UBR does have some weight to it. Prior to purchasing my Sig 556, I read that it was front heavy, so I bought the UBR specifically for that reason. Before installing the UBR, the Sig was in fact front heavy and after installing the UBR, it was better balanced. The UBR might be back heavy when installed with your rig.

jakjakman
06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
I think the slight added weight improves the balance on my carbines. For me, it's good weight. :)

ar15barrels
06-01-2008, 6:20 PM
Add a flashlight, scope, laser designator and a vertical foregrip and it will balance about right.
For a non-accessorized gun, they feel heavy.

Barrel weight under the handguards is also a factor.
HBAR's will feel more balanced with a UBR than govt profile barrels.

lakai
06-02-2008, 3:20 AM
heavier than a ctr, but it balances your weapon better if you accesorize

Addax
06-02-2008, 3:56 AM
The UBR was designed to add a little more weight to the rear of the AR and it will help to shift the weight balance of most AR configurations a little more to the center vs. being more front heavy per what I was told by Magpul, and from my own observations from using the UBR in multiple configurations.

It is not a 50/50 weight balance, but the weight/balance shift is enough to be noticeable, and I like the AR and SIG556 having a little more weight to rear using the UBR stock.

I have 2 UBR's, and use 1 on my SIG556 and the other for my gas piston AR's and it really is IMHO the best stock I have ever installed and used on a rifle. It's design is very cool, easy to use, no wiggle/jiggles like you will get in some other types of collapsible stocks.

The other stocks like the Vltor E-mod and the LMT Sop Mod are also nice stocks to consider, and these also will add a little weight to the rear of the rifle.

The Magpul CTR is a much lighter stock than the UBR, Vltor or LMT stocks, and it has a really cool locking mechanism to virtually eliminate any stock play or the wiggle/jiggles of a collapsible stock.

randy
06-02-2008, 4:15 AM
I just checked out a gun of that exact configuration. It is way out of balance. Get a brick to put on the stock.

cseabass
06-02-2008, 9:59 AM
i went from an emod to a ubr found it to be a little short till a customer showed me that i could remove the preset screw at the rear, now its cool.

as for the weight, i like it myself, it seems lighter than my m93bs also. i may put one on my MCS and sell my m93b