PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Vs Stag Upper

Gnzrme
05-31-2008, 11:49 PM
I have the chance to purchase a Double Star Lower with either a Bushmaster or Stag upper. What are differences between the two if any...I would think that Bushmaster is a better quality, but I am a Newbie....

tenpercentfirearms
06-01-2008, 5:53 AM
Bushmaster is higher quality and higher priced. Stag is good quality and reasonable price. I don't think you are going to notice a difference either way. Just buy something and shoot it.

Ballistic043
06-01-2008, 6:00 AM
..so can you at least clarify why they are better for the rest of us?

tenpercentfirearms
06-01-2008, 6:04 AM
..so can you at least clarify why they are better for the rest of us?

Bushmaster's quality control might be a tad better and Bushmaster might shoot Wolf ammo better (speculation on my part since I don't shoot Wolf ammo), but when it comes right down to it, a lot of it is the name. At the end of the day most of the mental torture that the consumer puts themself through in deciding between a Stag or a Bushmaster would be better spent having made a decision a week ago and going and shooting the rifle. Any advantages of one over the other will never be realized by us recreational and even weekend commando types and a lot of the Internet discussion over a lot of the different features of an AR15 is minutia that might matter to a soldier using full auto in a sandstorm, but means nothing to a guy shooting cans or in the extremely rare case of having to shoot a burglar in your kid's bedroom.

Darklyte27
06-01-2008, 6:23 AM
i got a stag for 110$ shipped, last i checked bushys were around 150+

Gnzrme
06-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I think that you are right....The bottom line is the dealer has the Busy in stock and there is no delivery date for the Stag, so I am feeling the BRD itch and I want it now....

MILLITIAof1
06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
i got a stag for 110$ shipped, last i checked bushys were around 150+

last I checked bushmaster lowers were also illegal:eek:

I am using a doublestar and bushmaster upper and it works great.

Gnzrme
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I was referring to the bushy Upper.....not lower......

Ballistic043
06-01-2008, 10:57 AM
he said upper. UPPER!

i swear, this is why we have problems with LEO's vs OLL's. someone comes along and assumes something is illegal when its clearly written in english..

some people on here are no different!

hybridatsun350
06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
last I checked bushmaster lowers were also illegal:eek:

He most certainly said Bushmaster upper. :cool:

uscbigdawg
06-01-2008, 5:35 PM
I will NEVER own a Bushmaster. They have a recent interest in the shooting sports after decades of consciously not supporting them. Stag however happily does and was one of the first companies to push the import of OLL's into California.

That said, quality-wise, there's probably none. Until you get to the top tier rifle builders (JP, TSS, MSTN, Composite Performance, et. al.) you getting a parts gun in my opinion.

Rich

ghost
06-01-2008, 5:44 PM
if you want a fincky upper that wont shoot all ammo get the stag.personally between the two i would take the bushmaster over the stag anyday.

run8
06-01-2008, 5:47 PM
Question here, how many companies such as using Stag for an example, produce all their parts, barrels, uppers, lowers, butt stocks, down to springs and screws?

Second question, knowing Stag makes the left handed uppers, is that all that is needed to make a lefty? Or, would I need a lower configured for such an application?

Want to build a friend an CA lefty for his B-day, he's not big into AR's, but if it was plopped down infront of him he'd take it.

Otherwise I would keep it and adapt to it.

Darklyte27
06-01-2008, 6:07 PM
My stag upper came in about 3 weeks.
I couldnt pass up a 100$ lower so I got a stag and the doublestar.

duenor
06-01-2008, 6:18 PM
the truth is that most "manufacturers" of ARs just get them from govt contractors and assemble them. even the much maligned blackthorne/vulcan/hesse does exactly that.

Ballistic043
06-01-2008, 6:37 PM
Second question, knowing Stag makes the left handed uppers, is that all that is needed to make a lefty? Or, would I need a lower configured for such an application?

Want to build a friend an CA lefty for his B-day, he's not big into AR's, but if it was plopped down infront of him he'd take it.

Otherwise I would keep it and adapt to it.

a left handed lower would be ideal, but currently nobody makes them. the bolt catch and mag release will be in the same position as they are on a Right handed build.

basically, you're going to have a left handed upper with a right handed lower. if you build the rifle yourself, i reccomend to throw in the ambi-selector kit.

personally, i am a lefty and have built both a 3H and 3HL. i still prefer the 3H. bolt catch is easier to hit, and gas escapes opposite side of my shooting eye.

plus lets face it; if something goes wrong, a right handed BCG is alot easier to find.

duenor
06-01-2008, 7:16 PM
hm. lefty?
you probalby like the ithaca 37 then. it ejects through the bottom straight down.

LEO
06-01-2008, 7:23 PM
I just finished a rifle with a double star lower and stag upper,went to WEGC
and used Winchester white box and Wolf ammo and was surprised that the
rifle worked so good with both , no failures at all .I was able to hit metal targets
at about 150 Yards with the iron sights ( I am not a good shot)
I used a BB and ten round mags , I am very happy with this rifle.

Darklyte27
06-01-2008, 7:39 PM
awesome LEO, I have a Stag upper waiting here. waiting on my stag and doublestar lowers to arrive at my FFL. Cant wait!

thmpr
06-01-2008, 8:41 PM
BM's barrels are MP tested.

Twinspool
06-01-2008, 9:20 PM
Not a single FTF or FTE in my Stag "Super Varminter". Shooting Lake City ammo. Oh, and it definately lives up to it's 0.5 MOA guarantee.

thmpr
06-01-2008, 9:29 PM
Not a single FTF or FTE in my Stag "Super Varminter". Shooting Lake City ammo. Oh, and it definately lives up to it's 0.5 MOA guarantee.

10, 5 or 3 shots?

Ballistic043
06-04-2008, 5:28 AM
BM's barrels are MP tested.

so are stag. and the bolts are MP tested too

nic
06-04-2008, 6:14 AM
I don't have any experience with Stag, but my Bushmaster 16" Dissipator upper receiver works great. Very accurate and reliable.