PDA

View Full Version : Military Target Type .22, What is the best?

macguyver77
05-31-2008, 9:59 PM
I am looking to pick up a couple of Military Training Target type .22s. Like the Model 513T or M144. I want a couple of different options and prefer the older rifles with "History" and of course the peep sight. Which Makes/Models would be the best recommendations that you guys have for accuracy and just good overall fun, but still own a piece of history.

Thanks for your time in advance.

mxndrnks
05-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Have one of these.... Love it!

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

macguyver77
05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Did it have to ship to an FFL?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
CMP rifles ship right to your door.

The Kimbers aren't as historical as the other rifles you mention, but you might want to get set up to order from the CMP right now in anticipation of the next batch of .22 trainers they offer.

Some other good U.S. trainers to look out for are the Mossberg M44US from WWII, the H&R M12, and on the more expensive end, the Remington 40X and the Winchester Model 52.

macguyver77
06-01-2008, 5:13 PM
I will for sure get setup with CMP, I am surprised that the Kimbers are able to be sent to my doorstep because I am assuming they are newer. When I was about 12 years old I shot at a local 4H club for about a year. I just wasn't old enough to think to get any of the makes or models of those guns, I don't think there was two of the same models out of the 30 guns we had to shoot. All I know is that they all had slings, and all had peep sights. Anyone have any more ideas? I am planning on picking up 4-5 different options to play with. They don't necessarily need to be military trainers, I just thought that was a good place to start since it was a 4H club.

Thanks

duenor
06-01-2008, 5:20 PM
is that stock adjustable?
i have short arms

NRAhighpowershooter
06-01-2008, 6:00 PM
The problem with the Kimbers is there is no parts support.. even Numrich doesn't lst any parts for them... as for the M12 it is a verry accurate rifle but is not a position rifle. I use to have a Mossberg M44 but I like the Reminton 513T better as it has a better trigger and is more accurate. The 40X's and Winchsester 52's are excellent rifles and are the most accurate and are excellent position rifles (easy to shoot offhand, sitting, kneeling, and prone) but will cost a premium (I was lucky enough to get my 40X from the CMP 3 yrs ago)

ar15barrels
06-01-2008, 6:31 PM
I bought one of the 513T's a few years ago when they were $100 or $120.
Amazing trigger on my gun.
I spent more on the Redfield rear sight than I did on the gun, but it's a great sight and worth the money.

macguyver77
06-01-2008, 7:45 PM
It doesn't sound like there are many other options.

t001
06-01-2008, 8:54 PM
Well, how much do you want to spend?

Any of the ones mentioned so far are good. Check gunbroker for H&R .22's. Those were used in ROTC programs, too. Various places that cater to C&R and surplus firearms usually have some eastern bloc trainer rifles. I have seen Czech and Russian military trainers for 1 to 2 bills. CMP also offers an Anschutz standard rifle packaged with sights for a not-too-bad price. Those are pretty darn nice. By the same token, there are offerings from FWB and Walther which are very nice, but now we are talking about more money.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple of places offering these Czech or Russian trainers later if I have time.

NRAhighpowershooter
06-01-2008, 9:05 PM
The Anschutz rifles the CMP sells have to go to FFL's and that means DROS fee's.. but... the Anschutz rifles are top of the line 22 rifles bar none!!!

69Mach1
06-01-2008, 9:07 PM
Link for discussions about military trainers.
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forums/77/t/Military-22-Caliber-Target-Training-Firearms.html

t001
06-01-2008, 9:33 PM
Ah, yes, I did forget that the CMP Anschutz's require FFL. However, I believe its price, packaged with sights, is still very competitive compared to places like Champion's Choice, Champiion Shooter's, or Neal Johnson's.

They are nice. Been thinking about picking up a standard rifle. But yes they are way pricey. Used to shoot free rifles a long long time ago, but don't feel like carrying and setting up all the equipment and accessories anymore. (Ok, ok, the real reason is I don't fit into the shooting jacket anymore. :p)

macguyver77
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Much appreciated

Pthfndr
06-02-2008, 7:46 AM
It doesn't sound like there are many other options.

MT Guns (Mac Tilton) sells the Russian .22s. From what I've read on RimfireCentral their very good.

http://www.mtguns.com/cm-2.htm

CSACANNONEER
06-02-2008, 2:10 PM
My US marked M44 was only $120 about 5 years ago and it shoots as good as my Anshultz.