PDA

View Full Version : MM grip and Magpul PRS

Wildhawk66
05-31-2008, 6:46 PM
Didn't find anything definative on a search so...

Has anyone running a Monster Man grip tried a Magpul PRS stock? If so, I would love to see pictures of it and any resulting gaps. If you have tried this and made it work i'd love to know how you did it. Thanks in advance.

apbrian112
05-31-2008, 6:59 PM
most people don't do it not because of the unsightly gap it would leave, but just due to the PRS having adjustable length (read: collapsible stock perhaps?!?)
i'm going off of threads i read awhile back (when i first joined) and i'm sure there are those out there that run this setup, either confirming or debunking this theory...

cwa14509
05-31-2008, 6:59 PM
Probably not going to see many people running that setup since the PRS is collapsible.

Make sure that if you have any evil features that you're running a BB or similar mag-locking device.

Wildhawk66
05-31-2008, 7:06 PM
I may be off base, but I don't believe the PRS is an evil feature as it doesn't telescope or fold. It's actually only adjustable for both check rest height and length of pull, both of which are commonly used on competative rifles and shotguns.

apbrian112
05-31-2008, 7:10 PM
here you go: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=69389&highlight=%22prs+collapsible%22

read what you do with a grain of salt, we aren't lawyers (most of us)... and the "i read it on calguns" defense probably isn't gonna bode well for you in court (in case anything were to happen, not saying that anything would)

Wildhawk66
05-31-2008, 7:21 PM
apbrian112. Thank you for the link, that reafirms my belief that the PRS isn't an evil feature.

If anyones tried it, I would definately like to see a MM grip and PRS pic or hear from anyone running them and how they made it look clean.

draconianruler
05-31-2008, 7:52 PM
I agree with you about the PRS not being an collapsable stock. Adjustable yes, not collapsable.

fairfaxjim
05-31-2008, 9:29 PM
Looks like this:
http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/22366/2632914470094380918S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/43054/2772007870094380918S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't use it like this, but had a lower with a PRS and a MM grip lying around, so I stuck them together for a photo op.

jacques
05-31-2008, 9:36 PM
Interesting look. :rolleyes:

fairfaxjim
05-31-2008, 9:59 PM

If ugly is interesting, yeah, I guess you coul call it that.

tankerman
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
You could probably leave that thing out in the open and no one would know what it was.

Just tell everyone it's a giant bottle opener.

-hanko
06-01-2008, 6:56 AM
:sleeping:

-hanko

Flat Broke
06-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Ya know, if the fin on the MMG fit the entire relief area under the stock, I don't think it'd look that bad. I'm sure it's not cost effective for MMG to retool their mold for this application, but you could cast your own using the methods outlined in the "filing in a thumbhole stock" thread.

Chris

Wildhawk66
06-01-2008, 10:56 AM
fairfaxjim,

Thank you for taking the time to post those shots, thats exactly what I was looking for.

That combination is definately not going to be a winner without some signifcant molding work and i'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

It's too bad there isn't a version of the MM grip that comes with a much larger rear fin thats designed to be trimmed down to fit applications like this and other non standard fixed stocks. If the back fin came straight back several more inches horizontally from it's top most point and also horizontally from the lower left corner of the grip checkering it would be idea for trim and fit applications.

Maybe monster man would be intersted in doing a limited run if there was enough of us interested.

fairfaxjim
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
fairfaxjim,

Thank you for taking the time to post those shots, thats exactly what I was looking for.

That combination is definately not going to be a winner without some signifcant molding work and i'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

It's too bad there isn't a version of the MM grip that comes with a much larger rear fin thats designed to be trimmed down to fit applications like this and other non standard fixed stocks. If the back fin came straight back several more inches horizontally from it's top most point and also horizontally from the lower left corner of the grip checkering it would be idea for trim and fit applications.

Maybe monster man would be intersted in doing a limited run if there was enough of us interested.

Ask him, he's on here. I personally doubt that it would be cost effective, given the tooling work that would have to be done. But MM is the guy to ask.

For my use, the PRS is limited to bench shooting, or at least not carried in the field, and having to open for top loading in that situation is not a great inconvenience. The upper that goes with that PRS is a 24" SS Bull barrel, and the whole system weighs in at 14.6 lbs. unloaded. Another way to go would be simply put a bullet button on the lower. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet, and now the NewBB is out, so may just stick that on the existing P50.

SuperSet
06-01-2008, 5:16 PM
This last post makes the most sense as my first impression of the PRS is 'damn, that looks heavy'. It would seem that the PRS is best suited to bench shooting as well so.. why would you want a MMG for a benchrest rifle when the BB serves that purpose so much better?