PDA

View Full Version : Select-Fire Question

BlackReef
05-31-2008, 3:54 PM
My little brother is in Police Academy, and is in the final stages of the class. Today they had a "shooting" day with the local Law Enforcement SWAT guys. He got to shoot a Select-Fire MP5 and M16 (He says it looked like an A1 Style).

He told me the Select-Fire on the M16 A1 was: Safe/Semi/Burst/Auto. He said the selector made a 270 degree turn and there was 4 options! I thought those things either had to be FA or 3-Rd Burst?

Educate me, please

On a side note, he brought his Varminter OLL to the shoot and the instructors had no idea what a "Bullet Button" was. They were cool about it though and didn't have any problems with it

thanks

BP88
05-31-2008, 3:56 PM
A1's were semi and auto, A2's were semi and burst, and A3's were semi and auto A2 style rifles. Very interesting... but I suppose if we could wipe out entire cities with one bomb then anything is possible.

apbrian112
05-31-2008, 4:51 PM
that's a first for me as well... the A4 and M4 i carried had semi and burst function.

rorschach
05-31-2008, 4:52 PM
http://www.afmo.com/Tapco_M16_4_Position_Parts_Set_M160903_p/215-01624.htm

I know Colt sold a kit as well.

apbrian112
05-31-2008, 5:00 PM
http://www.afmo.com/Tapco_M16_4_Position_Parts_Set_M160903_p/215-01624.htm

I know Colt sold a kit as well.

that's cool! just wiki'd it and couldn't find anything... i guess it's good for getting out of hasty ambushes or E&E when outnumbered for laying down suppressive fire... you know, the kind regularly encountered by our SWAT guys. :rolleyes:
i guess it's just a case of "better to have and not want, than to want and not have"

BlackReef
05-31-2008, 5:20 PM
kind of piggy backing but i talked to a cop today that said he could get a full auto if he had a letter head and it would be "his" rifle.said he had a friend that could get him one for 1000.can cops have personal machine guns

if this true, my a$s is going to be a cop

:chris:

adamsreeftank
05-31-2008, 6:42 PM
An LEO can get a letter that will allow them to register an AW with the DOJ that they may be able to keep if they leave the dept. Any select fire weapon is a department gun and can NOT be kept if they leave.

CaptMike
05-31-2008, 9:54 PM
After the North Hollywood shootout, the federal government gave LAPD 500 M-16's that they had in storage for ready reserve duty. The majority of them where A1's and there was a mix of others thrown in. Basically whatever the Fed's didn't need they gave to LAPD. Originally when the rifles were transferred, the city council did not want any of the rifles to shoot full auto, so the department had to put these metal limiters that only allowed the lever to go into Semi and blocked it from going any further. The limiter was held in place by the grip itself. All an officer had to do was remove the grip and ditch the limiter. No one really cares any more, so most of the limiters have been ditched. Im sure that there may have been an A1 with the 4 position kit in place. Since the military switched to the A2 or M4 any A1 style rifles are give aways. If he was not from LA then I just wrote all this for nothing. :) hope this helps

stay safe

slick_711
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Not a chance @ a cop having a personal rifle be select fire. :rolleyes:

Although the 4 position kits are "out there" I have never actually seen one in person, and I'd be surprised to find one on a Cali SWAT rifle? Possible I guess, but are you sure your brother wasn't thinking of the MP5? 4 positions on an MP5 trigger group is fairly common.

ar15barrels
05-31-2008, 10:03 PM
After the North Hollywood shootout, the federal government gave LAPD 500 M-16's that they had in storage for ready reserve duty. The majority of them where A1's and there was a mix of others thrown in. Basically whatever the Fed's didn't need they gave to LAPD. Originally when the rifles were transferred, the city council did not want any of the rifles to shoot full auto, so the department had to put these metal limiters that only allowed the lever to go into Semi and blocked it from going any further. The limiter was held in place by the grip itself. All an officer had to do was remove the grip and ditch the limiter. No one really cares any more, so most of the limiters have been ditched. Im sure that there may have been an A1 with the 4 position kit in place. Since the military switched to the A2 or M4 any A1 style rifles are give aways. If he was not from LA then I just wrote all this for nothing. :) hope this helps

stay safe

I have seen a couple LAPD M16's and they all just had semi-auto selectors installed.
All the other M16 parts were there and would work if you put in an M16 selector instead.

There were no "limiters" installed.

slick_711
05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
I have seen a couple LAPD M16's and they all just had semi-auto selectors installed.
All the other M16 parts were there and would work if you put in an M16 selector instead.

There were no "limiters" installed.

Well... the selector lever is held in place by the pistol grip... perhaps he was partially mistaken and confused "limiter" & selector. Although had the LAPD taken out the M16 lever, where an average officer would find such a thing or even know what to do with it is beyond me.

ar15barrels
05-31-2008, 10:21 PM
where an average officer would find such a thing or even know what to do with it is beyond me.

Correct.
That's why they don't have a problem with officers "fixing" their M16's.

BlackReef
05-31-2008, 11:41 PM
The rifle was property of the Department, along with the MP5. Unfortuanetly he didn't get a chance to shoot the MP5 =(

Max-the-Silent
06-01-2008, 4:19 PM
I've never run across any issued 16 varient with the safe-semi-burst-full option.

John Norrel was the first guy to make up this aftermarket kit, iirc, and it's really just added complexity. I've heard of guys putting one together for recreational use but haven't seen one issued.

NFA weapons are departmerntal issue pieces here in California, and even though an officer on call might have one or more in their personal possession, they are not the officers personal property in any way, shape, or form.

An officer can go throught the process to become a SOT and apply for the state permit. Departmental letterhead won't get you an MG as an individual officer...unless you're up in Blue Lake.

what2be
06-01-2008, 8:39 PM
I've never run across any issued 16 varient with the safe-semi-burst-full option.

John Norrel was the first guy to make up this aftermarket kit, iirc, and it's really just added complexity. I've heard of guys putting one together for recreational use but haven't seen one issued.

NFA weapons are departmerntal issue pieces here in California, and even though an officer on call might have one or more in their personal possession, they are not the officers personal property in any way, shape, or form.

An officer can go throught the process to become a SOT and apply for the state permit. Departmental letterhead won't get you an MG as an individual officer...unless you're up in Blue Lake.

AHAHAHAHH...so you must live up in Humboldt too huh? I cant believe I read that in the paper. Was that chief of police a nut or what? Rape, machine guns, drugs.. what else was he up to? And after all that bs, now they disband the whole police department. Un fricking believable.