PDA

View Full Version : GSG OWNERS! Important maintenance tip!!!! Vital once you pass 1-2K rounds!!

Solidsnake87
05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Ok guys,

I'm loving my GSG. Sure, it definitely could have been simplified and better built in several ways but nothing else can match its fun factor. My GSG has passed 10K rounds and is still running strong!!!!

I'm just going to cut straight to the point for this next part. After a few thousand rounds, your GSG might encounter some severe bolt lock-ups--Some people have reported this after as little as 2K rounds. DON'T PANIC! Anybody that has taken their BCG out will have noticed 5 screws holding the group together. After some use, these will come loose and will need to be tightened. These, however, are not the problem screws. The actual problem is occuring out of view, within the inside of the carrier body. There are three screws on top of the bolt within the carrier. These screws have the same sized head as all of the other screws. However, these screws probably don't even exceed .25" in length. These screws WILL come loose at some point. When they do, no matter how much you retighten, they will come loose and jam the rifle again in 20-30 rounds.

You are probably thinking "Oh Crap!." Trust me you are ok. Drop by an auto parts store and pick up some Blue Loctite (also known as Permatex Threadlocker Blue). The stuff will run about $6 and is worth every penny since it can also be used for scope mount screws, ect...... Since your BCG will be in pieces at this point, you might as well do a thorough cleaning on all of the parts before using loctite to seal the parts together. You'll also want to make sure that the thread on everything are clean--not just the threads on the screws! Shake the loctite solution very well and apply it to the threads of all the BCG screws. Do not over-tighten the screws--a simple hand tightening will suffice. Allow your treated BCG to sit for 24-48 hours for the loc-tite to fully cure and then you are ready to rock and roll!!!!

GSG suggests that the BCG never be disassembled. This is because the screws are supposedly "self-locking" and will loose their ability to lock if loosened. They suggest that if you clean the BCG inside and out, you should change the screws every time. If you use Loc-tite, you should not have to change screws for a very very long time.

Hope that update helps,

-Clark

rorschach
05-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Good to know.

Just a quick note, don't use the red loctite as you will never get the bolts out again without laying the hotwrench to them.

JeffM
05-31-2008, 1:01 AM
GSG suggests that the BCG never be disassembled.

Is there some problem with following the manufacturer's advice?

Solidsnake87
05-31-2008, 1:11 AM
There is no problem at all with the advice. I called ATI, the importer, about my issue. The only reason that advice exists is because GSG does not want the BCG taken apart unless it absolutely needs it. Every time the carrier is taken apart, the screws loose their ability to lock so they must be replaced. That is right from the mouth of the GSG tech rep.

If your bolt screws come loose you, ATI, or GSG will have to take your carrier apart anyway to replace the screws. They may or may not get a loctite treatment if you send it in to ATI or GSG. Its best to do it yourself until the rifle needs professional service. The BCG will function just fine with TONS of carbon residue inside--I only wipe the inside and outside without taking the BCG apart. The screw issue was the only reason i took the BCG apart in the first place.

The BCG is not rocket science. it can be easily taken apart and re-assembled without a problem. Its cheaper to buy a $6 dollar bottle of loctite and do the job right than to pay two way shipping + Screw cost + labor.

JeffM
05-31-2008, 1:21 AM
Ok, didn't catch that the problem would have occurred or was occurring without the screws being removed to begin with.

Why not red locktite and be done with it?

Solidsnake87
05-31-2008, 1:40 AM
If something else breaks, and red is used, you might as well buy a new BCG cuz that stuff ain't coming off. Cheaper to use blue so that the screws can come loose with some muscle and replacement parts can be installed if needed.

WokMaster1
05-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Snake, have the German factory folks notified you that you've chosen as their posterboy for 2008/2009?:D

cspirit2
05-31-2008, 12:15 PM
SolidSnake thanks for all of the info. Pictures would be nice for the problem areas if you have time. Good work and thanks for the info.

Solidsnake87
05-31-2008, 12:31 PM
These screws hold the carrier assembly halves together. They come loose frequently but are generally not an issue. Just retighten (don't over tighten) after every use. Loctite these at any time. Personally, I'd wait to loctite them until the Bolt face screws become an issue. This way you won't have to clean the old loctite off the threads.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3200/gsgbolt1an4.jpg

These are the troublesome bolt screws. They will jam your rifle at some point. I suppose you could wait till they become an issue before using loc-tite. Just know that a jammed bolt is VERY difficult to close. The bolt has to be closed so that the spring guides don't block the small grey block that secures the BCG in place.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3207/gsgbolt2xx4.jpg