PDA

View Full Version : CA legal STEN SMG?

N_S
05-30-2008, 5:47 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat but I just remembered that since the STEN has no pistol grip (usually) and it's not too much of a leap to make one semi-auto with a closed bolt has anyone ever made a California Legal version? With 10-round mag to boot?

ke6guj
05-30-2008, 5:56 PM
Yes, the semi-auto versions can be made CA-legal. And you aren't limited to 10-round mags, if you owned them pre-pan.

IIRC, a couple people have posted pics of them on the forum.

Sal
05-30-2008, 5:57 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=96379&highlight=sten

thefifthspeed
05-30-2008, 9:03 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat but I just remembered that since the STEN has no pistol grip (usually) and it's not too much of a leap to make one semi-auto with a closed bolt has anyone ever made a California Legal version? With 10-round mag to boot?

:eek:

I'm doing a sten build right now and this project indeed is quite a leap to make a semi auto. Aside from a couple huge NFA laws you have to avoid, you can count on hour and hours of metal working. Some people go the inexpensive way which is making their own parts and modifying the original bolt but that seemed too "iffy" with me if it were to ever come into question with the law. I'm basically using a mk3 parts kit( I tossed the bolt and barrel)/new receiver tube/new bolt system and parts that are aftermarket and ATF approved/16" barrel. All this ran me about 550. You could do a build for 150-200ish but like i said you have more legal hurdles and it involves a lot more metal work. Even with this "sten kit" I have it is still a ton of work which involves cutting, gringing, welding, fitment issues etc... So far it's fun but it is a lot of work. Also I came up with a very good idea for 10 round sten mags but haven't actually made anything yet.

N_S
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I know masterpiece arms makes some MAC-like guns that take STEN mags, they might have made a 10-round magazine.

thefifthspeed
05-31-2008, 4:49 AM
I know masterpiece arms makes some MAC-like guns that take STEN mags, they might have made a 10-round magazine.

If you can get ahold of full size sten bodies it's pretty easy to premanetly make them into 10 rounders.

Sal
05-31-2008, 8:11 AM
If there is enough interest i might just start making 10/30 sten mags for people.

The sten build isnt a particularly difficult build if you know what your doing, its harder than an AK at that you have to really make sure that your lining everything up during welding, one wrong move ruins the whole receiver, either making you start over, or worst case scenario you end up having to buy a whole new parts kit, or replacement parts for the ones you messed up. While they say you can use just a dremel tool to make the entirety of the cutouts on the receiver, the walls are fairly thick on the tube, it would take damn near forever to do, and if you dont get the cocking handle slot just right, the gun wont function properly. If its not straight it will bind, if its not on the right angle it wont fit past the ejector, if its too wide the charging handle will fly out or bind.

Even if you get the receiver just right, you have to balance the springs on your own, the SAS kits come with a single spring your supposed to cut, they give a general starting length, and you have to trim from there, and it will take alot of time, mine still doesnt function right, i've had to sit there and tweak every magazine to feed properly as well.

wilit
05-31-2008, 9:52 AM
FYI, once I get off my lazy arse, I should have some 10 round STEN mags up for sale.

N_S
05-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Anyone have a completed CA legal STEN for sale?

thefifthspeed
05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Anyone have a completed CA legal STEN for sale?

I doubt any are for sale. Reason being most people who build them keep them for themselves (the few that are out there) and if they were to sell them they would have to scribe a serial number into them before transfer. There may be another "hoop" you have to jump through when PPTing a home built rifle but I'm not too knowledgable about it since I haven't dont it yet.

I should be done with my build in 2 months and I'll let you know how it stacks up to Sal's build. I'm using the Indy Ordinance kit so maybe we will see different results.

trinydex
05-31-2008, 5:03 PM
9mm ar conversion using sten mags? :D

N_S
06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
No...

An actual STEN.