PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Nova vs Rem 870

aval64
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Thinking about buying one of the Benelli Novas 4+1? in the for sale section, but also have a raincheck for $329 for Rem 870 7+1 at big 5. I just need a good reliable shotgun for home defense/SHTF and to take to the range. The 870 would be more expensive, but would also already have the mag extension. I would need to purchase one for the Nova (making cost go up on it), what do you guys think? Thanks!

-Art

MAX100
05-30-2008, 1:14 PM
The Nova is a very good shotgun but the 870 has more accessories available for it. That will make a difference later on when you want to add some custom items.

GC

gmcal
05-30-2008, 3:53 PM
I've never shot the Benelli, but my 870 (Big5 special, same as the one you have the rain check for) is great, and performed well at a training class. MAX100 is correct, if you intend to add other goodies then the 870 is the way to go. I added a Surefire fore end/light and a 6 shot saddle carrier, which I found on calguns for a good price. Next is a Speedfeed pistol grip stock.

ZombieKiller
05-30-2008, 4:01 PM
+100

The 870 is a great platform.....

scfast
05-30-2008, 4:05 PM
not that into shotguns but i'll vote for the super nova tactical smooth as hell and just oozes quality i shoot my friend's whenever i get my grubby hands on it...

Sumo99
05-30-2008, 9:24 PM
I had both.

Like the others said, there are a lot more accessories for the 870 (pistol grips, folding stocks, etc). All around, just a great shotgun.

Cool feature on the Nova is it has a magazine cutoff switch meaning you can unload one round w/o chambering another. You can also use 3.5" shells, but then I would recommend getting the recoil reducer. Mag tube extensions are very expensive for Benelli's. If you get the Nova, let me know, and I'll give you a deal on my factory 2 round extension.

Rugerman
05-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Both great shotguns.

Nova for a original plain gun.

870 for the option to go mall ninja.

Stryker
05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Personally, I'd start out with the 870. Like everyone says, there's a zillion aftermarket accessories available for it for very reasonable prices. You might not want to Rambo-fy it out like I would, but there are some practical accessories that you might "need" like light/laser attachments, scope/red-dot sight mounts, pistol-grip/folding/telescoping stocks. You can also instantly turn it into a skeet-shooter by swapping out a longer barrel in 30 secs. Not sure how difficult it is to do that with a Nova.

Plus every "shotgunner" should probably have an 870 in their collection somewhere.

Mossbergs (military uses the 590 and 500s), Remingtons, Winchesters, and the Benelli's will all have great reliability. They all have double "rails" attached to the pump forend, so you supposedly don't have to worry about your pump from binding with a single "railed" cheapo.

The disconnect feature seems cool.
Cool feature on the Nova is it has a magazine cutoff switch meaning you can unload one round w/o chambering another.
However, if I understand correctly what it actually does, unless you're going back and forth between the squad-car/range/battlefield, you probably won't use it much. I'm guessing it allows you to empty the chamber by pumping back, then pulling it forward while not chambering another shell. That's probably super convenient on a bird gun if you want/need to empty your chamber but still want to have rounds in the tube. However, for the house, you'll probably just load your shottie how you want it, and let it stew in the closet for months on end. If you're ever shooting at the range, you're going to need to completely unload it before you drive home anyway, so that kind of negates the convenience of it.

Then, AFTER you get your 870, you can get a Benelli.
I've got an 870, that I tricked out with an extended mag tube, ATI top-folding stock, 6-round sidesaddle (on top of the stock), M6 light/laser mount, and heat guard. It was fun to build. However, now that I've scratched that itch, I'm now in the market for a pump Bennelli. I want the "extra" (but maybe not necessary) quality. However, it will just be my fun-gun, because it would be too costly to modify it exactly how I want it, like I could with the 870.

So, to wrap up, I recommend starting off with the 870, so you can affordably personalize it for your exact needs. If you get the Benelli first, you might not be able to find or afford the accessories you need. It's your home defense gun that you're using to protect your life, so you don't want to have any deficiencies in its functionality. We have a saying in the military that the standard issue anything (training, equipment, etc.) is just enough to get you killed. In other words, you should get all the necessary accessories that technology allows...it's your life you're defending.

My two cents...
Hope it at least gives your mind something to chew on...

randy
05-31-2008, 1:01 AM
Both are great guns. Oaktree rents out both guns for trap and skeet. The Benellis are holding up real well with no maintenance unless it rains on them. The 870 needs a little bit of oil once in awhile.

The advantage of the Nova is it can shoot 3.5 inch shells. If you are worried about the end of the world then you have a gun that will chamber and shoot any 12 gauge shell the 870 won't.

An advantage or curse to the 870 is you can hang all kinds of crap on it.

Good luck

homerm14
05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I have both, a police trade in 870 and a Benelli super nova. I like the super nova more due to the length of the forward grip. It is a bit longer allowing you to keep your forward hand further back. As stated above the nova allows you to fire 3 1/2 shells. The super nova allows you to change stocks where as the nova does not. The mag extension tube is a little pricy bot not to bad. I like the ghost ring sights on the nova that come as a factory option. You can also easily put a rail on the super nova with no drilling. If you are looking for accessories galore go with the 870.

rebelmachine2000
05-31-2008, 12:52 PM
The LOP on the Supernova is long and there is no way to go about changing that. I have looked high and low for a thinner recoil pad to reduce the LOP but have found nothing. With that said if you have smallish arms and need a shotgun with a reduced LOP go with the 870 as there are numerous youth type stocks you could fit to the gun or you could go with a Speedfeed IV-s.

As for the magazine disconnect---it was a big selling point for me, but in use it is very clumsy. Using it requires that you bring the forearm to the rear approximately 1" to 2" which then activates the cutoff switch. Pressing the cutoff switch requires you adjust your grip on the forearm. Performing these actions would seem to be difficult under duress.

homerm14
06-01-2008, 12:25 PM
The LOP on the Supernova is long and there is no way to go about changing that. I have looked high and low for a thinner recoil pad to reduce the LOP but have found nothing. With that said if you have smallish arms and need a shotgun with a reduced LOP go with the 870 as there are numerous youth type stocks you could fit to the gun or you could go with a Speedfeed IV-s.

As for the magazine disconnect---it was a big selling point for me, but in use it is very clumsy. Using it requires that you bring the forearm to the rear approximately 1" to 2" which then activates the cutoff switch. Pressing the cutoff switch requires you adjust your grip on the forearm. Performing these actions would seem to be difficult under duress.

They do in theory make a short recoil pad for the nova. I'll be damd if I can find one though.

aval64
06-01-2008, 1:25 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your input. I think am going to start out with 870, see how much I mod/use then move on to a Benelli if I really get into it. To start out with, I am looking to spend bottom dollar, making the 870 a better choice...

mdhpper
06-04-2008, 2:53 PM
Both are great guns.
The advantage of the Nova is it can shoot 3.5 inch shells. If you are worried about the end of the world then you have a gun that will chamber and shoot any 12 gauge shell the 870 won't.

An advantage or curse to the 870 is you can hang all kinds of crap on it.
Good luck

My 870 shoots 3.5 inch loads just fine. If you are interested in shooting 3.5 get the super magnum model.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_super_magnum.asp

randy
06-04-2008, 5:30 PM
I guess he could buy the super magnum but he was looking for a ghetto blaster not a field gun. I guess he could cut the barrel down and thread it for chokes then put on a front site. That sounds a bit more pricy than just buying a Nova.

Dilinger23
06-04-2008, 9:32 PM
I have a Super Nova and the little buton thing is neat but i dont find my self useing it.. Just like every one says 870 will have more parts available for it. Both guns are great...

Synergy
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Just picked up my Big 5 7+1 570 yesterday, stripped it, lubed it, went shooting. Ran some 3" 4's, 2 3/4" 8's, 00 and rifled slugs. Shoulder is sore today. I am happy with it. Action runs smooth and will get smoother with more break in.

BroncoBob
06-05-2008, 5:15 PM
I got a Benelli Super Nova with the pistol grip and ghost ring in desert camo and a Remington 870 in black with the mag extention. Both are good skatter guns. The Benelli feels just a little better when shooting. The Benelli is drilled and tapped for a rail where the Remington is not. Anyway you go, you really can't go wrong. I wouldn't get rid of either one. Best of luck and happy shooting. :61:

Glock30
06-05-2008, 8:10 PM
You can't go wrong with the 870 mine has a few thousand rounds through it and it still runs like it's new.