PDA

View Full Version : A2 Flash Hider removal

jsc8041
05-29-2008, 8:24 PM
Was wondering if there was anyone or any place that I could go to swap my A2 flash hider with a phantom break on an AR upper. I don't have a vice to clamp the barrel to, so looking for someone else that might be able to help me out. Thanks.

shark92651
05-29-2008, 8:26 PM
It would help to know where you are located. If it is not welded in place (doubtful if the barrel is 16" or longer) then all you really need is a 3/4" wrench and either grasp the rifle between your legs or sit on it and twist it off.

Telperion
05-29-2008, 8:40 PM
Make sure you put the barrel in a vise, not the upper receiver, otherwise you can end up torquing the barrel in the action.

ghost
05-29-2008, 8:45 PM
It would help to know where you are located. If it is not welded in place (doubtful if the barrel is 16" or longer) then all you really need is a 3/4" wrench and either grasp the rifle between your legs or sit on it and twist it off.

just like shark is telling you.put the buttstock on the floor and straddle the rifle between your legs.put a wrench on the flash hider and twist away.

jhova98040
05-29-2008, 8:49 PM
^^^

i was under the impression that it was a bad idea to remove a F/H that way; that a vice was needed... am i wrong?

jsc8041
05-29-2008, 9:28 PM
Yea, I've heard it's a bad idea to use that method. If worse comes to worse, then I guess I'll have no choice. But in the mean time, I'm located in Sacramento. Please help. Thanks.

ohsmily
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Yea, I've heard it's a bad idea to use that method. If worse comes to worse, then I guess I'll have no choice. But in the mean time, I'm located in Sacramento. Please help. Thanks.

I have the appropriate tools (barrel clamp, vise, etc). You are welcome to drop by sometime this weekend if you like. I live in Davis.

Btw, it is "worst comes to worst." ;)