View Full Version : What SKS and where to buy

Comstock Lode
05-29-2008, 8:48 AM
I think the next rifle is an SKS... I know they made some that required a bullet tip to drop the mag (hence the language in the "fixed magazine" around a bullet being considered a tool...). So, I'd like to find an SKS that requires a bullet to drop the mag. Any suggestions as to what type of SKS (yugo, chinese, ruskie, ?) and where to find one?

05-29-2008, 9:00 AM
Except for the detachable mag SKS's which aren't very common and will be clearly identified as such, they all have the same fixed mag attachment method AFAIK.

What type is a function of what quality you want and what you are willing to pay. Last I checked Yugo's were the cheapest (but no chrome lining). They are all pretty similar in functionality. Most desireable are the Chinese and Russians, but they are harder to find and more expensive. The difference in quality between countries shouldn't have as big an effect on the function as the condition of the chamber, muzzle, and bore do.

05-29-2008, 9:37 AM
If i remember right it doesnt function at all as a mag when its not installed in the gun itself. I will check when i get home but i am pretty sure it uses part of the bottom of the receiver to hold the follower and spring together.

I have a yugo that i bought a few years ago from turners, it is a lot of fun to shoot. I think they still sell them.