PDA

View Full Version : Mosin forced #'s other ?'s

JimGenz76
01-28-2015, 10:30 PM
I picked up a Mosin 91/30 today @ Turners. (2) sets of numbers on the mag plate, please look at 1st pic attached is that what a forced match is?

The #'s on the bayonet matched the bolt, butt stock and mag plate. Does that add any value?

There is a "B" and a "4" stamped top side of stock. Any significance?

Lastly how does a 91/30 compare to a 91/59?

I paid $150 I'm sure its worth about $150, just trying to get a better understanding. Rifle was loaded with cosmoline and stock is in very good shape.

Thank you for helping this Mosin noob out !

Cactus_Tim
01-29-2015, 5:37 AM
That looks to be a nice rifle from what I can see.
More importantly, have you shot it? How does it shoot?
If you have, how big was the grin on your face?

Yes, that's force matching. It's very common.

Here's some helpful info about different types of mosins:
Different Variations of
Mosin Nagant Rifles (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinIDII.htm)

There is also info on stock and barrel markings if you dig through the site:
Guide to Proofs and Markings (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm)

7.62x54r.net site index (http://7.62x54r.net/)

NOTABIKER
01-29-2015, 5:39 AM
double stamping of ser # is common. Matching #s do not help value much on a referb. But mix match #s seem to hurt selling one. What you have is just a nice example of a MN. is it counter bored ?. after cleaning is the bore dark and frosty or shinny. Mineral spirits will clean the cosmoline Some stampings are hard to figure out .

81turbota
01-29-2015, 6:14 AM
Congratulations on the Mosin. Yes, you have what is considered force matched numbers, extremely common in refurbished rifles. B in the stock, is it in a circle? I have one with a circle B, my research shows Budapest arsenal. The matching bayonet is a nice touch, even if arsenal matched. Usually the importer/distributor grabs a rifle and a bayonet, without paying attention to numbers.

A 91/59 is a cut down 91/30, very similar to an M38 carbine. A 91/59 is different mainly in it's modified 2000 meter sight and appropriate stampings. The rear sight leaf on a 91/59 has the 1000-2000 meter graduation ground off, and is a standard 91/30 dovetailed/pinned mount. The M44/M38 has a 1000 meter sight leaf that has a sleeved base. The carbines are hard kickers and fire breathers!

$150 you did absolutely fine. What other functional, enjoyable piece of history can you have for that?

DennisCA
01-29-2015, 7:00 AM
Congrats - As the others have said: forced match
In this day and age, $150 isn't a bad price.
The days of $89 mosins are gone... :(
For all things mosin, 7.62X54r.net is your friend

JimGenz76
01-29-2015, 8:04 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. It doesn't seem to be counter bored. Bore is dark. I will clean this baby up and shoot a few rounds this weekend.

adamjay
01-29-2015, 9:29 AM
Nice rifle there! Dont get it wet or feed it after midnight, Mosins have the peculiar ability to reproduce in the safe, they'll be spilling out before you know it!

Gotta love the sight radius on the 91/30's! I like the 91/59's as a more compact brush/ field gun. Most of the ones I have handled have a very smooth action. My 91/59 is probably my favorite shooter out of the Russians.

Here's a couple more sites to learn about the Mosins:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?3-The-Collector-s-Forum-Mosin-Nagant-HQ

http://mosinnagant.net

mosinnagantm9130
01-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Refurbs are almost always force matching, so don't feel too bad about it :p

Bobby Ricigliano
01-29-2015, 5:37 PM
I picked up a Mosin 91/30 today @ Turners. (2) sets of numbers on the mag plate, please look at 1st pic attached is that what a forced match is?

The #'s on the bayonet matched the bolt, butt stock and mag plate. Does that add any value?

There is a "B" and a "4" stamped top side of stock. Any significance?

Lastly how does a 91/30 compare to a 91/59?

I paid $150 I'm sure its worth about $150, just trying to get a better understanding. Rifle was loaded with cosmoline and stock is in very good shape.

Thank you for helping this Mosin noob out !

I will try to answer your questions..

The rifle is worth about what you paid for it. Since you said you paid $150, I am assuming that is plus DROS and tax, which would put you at about the $200 mark. That is somewhat steep for a plain Jane wartime Izhevsk 91/30.

Heavy refurb, strike out / force match numbers, wartime production make rifles uninteresting to collectors. Other than T53's, what you have is about at the low end of Mosin variants. As said above, they are mostly all refurbished, so no big deal.

If the bayonet is matching to the rifle, that is a ++ and adds a bit to the value.

But speaking of value, forget about the value. There isn't much. What you do have is an honest WWII rifle that probably saw action, has a lot of neat history, is chambered in a very powerful caliber, and is affordable to shoot. Enjoy and congratulations on the purchase.

Bobby Ricigliano
01-29-2015, 5:41 PM
I should add:

Make sure you do a complete tear down of the rifle to clean the cosmoline out. That will also reveal any hidden pitting or rust. Sometimes Boris just slapped black paint over pitting.

The Mosin is extraordinarily easy to disassemble and doesn't have a lot of small parts. The only step that requires extra care is the firing pin depth during reassembly to avoid over / under protrusion. Oh, and be careful not to lose the trigger retaining pin. They tend to just fall out when the receiver is out of the stock.

NOTABIKER
01-29-2015, 6:17 PM
pay extra attention to caked on cosmo around the grove the extractor fits into when you close the bolt. It also is not a bad idea to use a brass shotgun brush in the chamber with solvent or mineral spirits. Positively take the bolt apart and clean all the bolt parts good. You only need to do this one time .

Enfield47
01-29-2015, 8:40 PM
Congrats, the condition looks pretty good. Let us know how how she does on your next range trip.