PDA

View Full Version : full floating handguard Q?

68kaiser
05-28-2008, 7:07 PM
Im wanting to installing a full floating hand guard. from what i can tell if i mill my front sight down I do not have to remove the sight for the hand guard install. is this correct?

I dont want to remove the front sight since my muzzle break is pinned in place and from what i have gathered is a compleat pain to remove. Milling the sight down is good for me since its in the way of the scope.

ocabj
05-28-2008, 7:34 PM
You don't have to remove the front sight. You should be able to leave it on since you'll be removing the barrel in order to put the handguard on.

Actually, you may have to unpin your front sight base and move it forward towards the brake/fh to give you enough leeway to work on the barrel nut while the handguard just hanging on the barrel.

ar15barrels
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
You can't install a traditional freefloat system without removing the permanent muzzle device.
There's no way to get the new barrel nut over the front sight and no way to get the front sight past the permanent muzzle device.

There are freefloat systems that "clamp" to the existing barrel nut though.
These can be installed without removing the permanent muzzle device.

ar15barrels
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Actually, you may have to unpin your front sight base and move it forward towards the brake/fh to give you enough leeway to work on the barrel nut while the handguard just hanging on the barrel.

I'd like to see you try that.
Report back on the progress you made. ;)