PDA

View Full Version : My new tacticool gas-saving gun case!!

gcvt
05-28-2008, 5:49 PM
With the price of gas ($4.35 in SF), I just can't afford to drive my pick-'em-up truck to the range anymore. My street bike gets much better mileage so I went to Guitar Center and found this 'backpack' guitar case for $30. I figure it'll pay for itself in fairly short order.

I figure I can fit one rifle inside and a handgun in the front pocket. Then ammo, ear pro, eye pro, etc. can go in the tank bag on the bike. Gonna try it all out on Monday :D

I might even get some foam and cut it to fit each rifle I own.

http://bayareadesign.com/gcvt/pics/guncase1.jpg

http://bayareadesign.com/gcvt/pics/guncase2.jpg

USN CHIEF
05-28-2008, 5:50 PM
Can you lock the compartment where the hand gun goes?

BlackReef
05-28-2008, 5:51 PM
nice. I've been using my Guitar cases as gun cases for awhile. very inconspicuous!

gcvt
05-28-2008, 5:54 PM
Can you lock the compartment where the hand gun goes?

I can't lock the zippers on the guitar case, but I have a small hard locking case that fits in that pocket (not the case the Sig came in). Are you asking because of legality or possible loss of the gun in transit?

nice. I've been using my Guitar cases as gun cases for awhile. very inconspicuous!

Yeah, I figure this is a lot better than having a rifle barrel sticking out the top of a backpack!

mike22ca
05-28-2008, 6:52 PM
Straight Desperado style haha

EastBayRidge
05-28-2008, 7:15 PM
REI had some snowboard bags on sale a while back. Shoulda picked one up.

USN CHIEF
05-28-2008, 7:17 PM
I can't lock the zippers on the guitar case, but I have a small hard locking case that fits in that pocket (not the case the Sig came in). Are you asking because of legality or possible loss of the gun in transit?

I was asking for both reasons above. :)

Saigon1965
05-28-2008, 7:30 PM
Cool, getting ready for our night out in Oakland.

gunrun45
05-28-2008, 8:43 PM
I used to carry my department issued M4 in a soft side guitar case when I went to LE training classes. Try walking into the Holliday Inn in San Francisco and not be noticed when you are carrying a black soft side tactical case for a M4 that almost screams "Hey, I have a gun". Nobody even looked twice at me after I bought that guitar case. Plenty of girls hit on me though thinking I was a musician :)

tazmanian devil dog
05-28-2008, 10:05 PM
That is totally badass!! I gotta get me one of those. It is the ultimate in "low key". Which as a gunowner is important these days.

gcvt
05-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I was asking for both reasons above. :)

Cool :) Since the handgun will always be in its locked case, I guess I'm cool there.

And, if I move the two main compartment zipper tabs near to where the big front pocket zipper tab ends up when in the closed position, I could probably just drill small holes in all three and put a long zip tie through them all to make sure none of them open. Might give that a go just to make sure none of my guns go tumbling down the freeway.

randy
05-29-2008, 12:45 AM
I think there some kind of law against using a guitar case to carry your firearm. You might want to look into that.

BP88
05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I think there some kind of law against using a guitar case to carry your firearm. You might want to look into that.

Never heard of such a thing. Plus, who's going to look in his guitar bag? Unless you hint to a cop that there's a gun in your guitar bag then I doubt they'll even bother looking in it. Sometimes I just throw my AR on the back seat of my car with a towel over it. No one's going to know.

gcvt
05-29-2008, 1:06 AM

If that's the case (no pun intended), that would suck considering I got the idea from this forum.

eguns-com
05-29-2008, 1:08 AM
I've been doing it for years (but not in Kali). My neighbors don't need to know when I go shooting...

gcvt
05-29-2008, 1:39 AM
Nobody even looked twice at me after I bought that guitar case. Plenty of girls hit on me though thinking I was a musician :)

I literally laughed out loud when I read this...no joke...and my girlfriend was sitting an inch away from me at the time. Great.

She's the one that actually found this 'cheap' case in the store. On the walk home, I had a lot of incoming "Rock Star" jokes. :punk:

Booshanky
05-29-2008, 5:46 AM
Wow, looks nice. I think the foam instert is a good idea, keep it from rattling around in that big empty space.

gcvt
05-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow, looks nice. I think the foam instert is a good idea, keep it from rattling around in that big empty space.

Yep, the foam is definitely on the list. It'll keep the rifle stable and I can cut out holes for spare magazines, optics, etc.

onikuma
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
nifty ;)

rksimple
05-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Make sure you use some good foam and throw some dessicant packs in there if you live a more humid area. Don't want to have it end up like this guy's:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=611795#Post611795

MotoGuy
05-29-2008, 11:41 AM

You might be thinking about the law against a firearm being able to shoot through a disguised container, like the HK briefcase.

I have been using a small rifle case with my AR broken down on my bike, but I like the guitar case better. Will have to pick one up this week.

InvictusManeo
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
The foam is crucial if you intend to use that thing for any amount of time. That's a quality bag (I worked at guitar center for a while, sold a lot of them, and use one for one of my guitars) but if it's used without structural support, it will break down and the rifle will print clearly.

I may have to check out the cut in my cases for carrying my m44... That could be useful for days like today, with an hour of range time before band practice :chris:

gcvt
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Would they have the kind of foam I need at Home Depot/Lowes, or will I need to look elsewhere like upholstery shops?

What Just Happened?
06-12-2008, 3:15 PM
Would they have the kind of foam I need at Home Depot/Lowes, or will I need to look elsewhere like upholstery shops?

Bump on this question

WhiteDingo
06-12-2008, 3:20 PM
Upholstery shops usually carry the green foam; works pretty well if you don't care what it looks like.

Home Depot, at least the one I worked at and the ones in my area, do not carry that foam.

Here's a place to order it:
http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html

InstructorPyro
06-12-2008, 3:29 PM

How about the Pick 'n' Pluck foam from Pelican?

http://www.pelican-case.com/16picandpluc2.html

I know it's pricey but you could shape it like the case and then make it shape like the rifle inside. That would be really cool!

gunn
06-12-2008, 3:46 PM
You might be thinking about the law against a firearm being able to shoot through a disguised container, like the HK briefcase.

I have been using a small rifle case with my AR broken down on my bike, but I like the guitar case better. Will have to pick one up this week.

I thought I read something like this as well so I looked it up:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12020-12040.html

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
(9) As used in this section, a "camouflaging firearm container"
means a container which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It is designed and intended to enclose a firearm.
(B) It is designed and intended to allow the firing of the
enclosed firearm by external controls while the firearm is in the
container.
(C) It is not readily recognizable as containing a firearm.
"Camouflaging firearm container" does not include any camouflaging
covering used while engaged in lawful hunting or while going to or
returning from a lawful hunting expedition.

While a guitar case means A and C of the definition, hopefully you have designed the case to NOT meet criteria B.

I spoke yesterday with some friends at the range and they've been stopped before riding to the range on their motorcycles with the case strapped to their back. Just to be safe though, I'd go ahead and print up this section of the penal code to discuss it with the cop.

-g

---
I had to do something like this for one of my hard cases the other day. I wish my company had one of these machines...
I'd go nuts with the thing.
http://www.sealedair.com/products/protective/instapak/foam-in-place.html

HRM. Now that I think about it, I wonder if you could DIY something like this w/ a high quality trashbag the the canned foam insulation....
The bottom doesn't have to be pretty as long as the custom molded part fits right. I also wonder about the set time.
I'm gonna have to think about it.

InstructorPyro
06-13-2008, 6:06 AM
Okay, if we're not allowed to put guns in cases that don't make them look like guns... then how many non-gun owners will know what my range bag is? Or the tuppeware that my glock came in? Or the blue case my Para came in? Or the Pelican case that was designed to carry an M4? I'm so confused. Way to many laws around here for anyone to get a handle on them.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-13-2008, 7:02 AM

Since you are in San Francisco, try Cushion Works.

http://cushionworks.net/CorePage.html

They can cut foam to any size you need and they are pro-gun.

Dark Water
06-13-2008, 7:12 AM
I have been thinking of using a guitar case for my rifle for a while now but have never taken the time out to go look at them. I think I will get a hard sided case though and cut foam to custom fit the rifle and mags.

What Just Happened?
06-13-2008, 8:21 AM
How about the Pick 'n' Pluck foam from Pelican?

http://www.pelican-case.com/16picandpluc2.html

I know it's pricey but you could shape it like the case and then make it shape like the rifle inside. That would be really cool!

No, that price is about what you'd pay for the normal foam. The only disadvantage of using the pick n' pluck stuff is that later down the road, more of the cubes could be unintentially picked and plucked out.

InstructorPyro
06-14-2008, 7:23 AM
No, that price is about what you'd pay for the normal foam. The only disadvantage of using the pick n' pluck stuff is that later down the road, more of the cubes could be unintentially picked and plucked out.

Oh, okay then... :(

CRTguns
06-14-2008, 11:33 AM
There is a law about a case which conceals the nature of a firearm- you can;t use a guitar or violin case in CA to carry a gun. Ya might search DOJ site for the PC- I'm pretty sure it's there.

Ech0Sierra
06-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Only if the case allows firing of the gun while it's still inside.

DVLDOC
06-14-2008, 2:50 PM
REI had some snowboard bags on sale a while back. Shoulda picked one up.

I think Im gonna go for the snowboard bag idea! :cool:

rkt88edmo
06-14-2008, 4:30 PM

If the pick and pluck starts to peel away you can just use rubber cement to glue it back in.

M. Sage
06-14-2008, 5:28 PM
Yeah, I figure this is a lot better than having a rifle barrel sticking out the top of a backpack!

Find yourself a large-ish cardboard document/map tube. One that'll slip down over your front sight. Cut it so that the muzzle is just inside the tube when the tube is pushed against the receiver or handguard, whatever it catches on (as long as that's inside the backpack), and make sure the end is sealed to keep air from doing something like turning the tube into a piston and blowing it off your rifle on the freeway...

I usually put my Sig in my tank bag. I can even lock my tank bag with a tiny padlock.

dwtt
06-15-2008, 4:34 PM
I have been doing this since 1992 or so when I lived in SF and rode my Interceptor to Lake Chabot to shoot Hi-Power and at the public range. You definately need some foam to stabilize the guitar case at 65mph. I have some extra foam that's ~2" thick that you can use if you want it. I'm in Fremont, let me know.

As for that guy gunn who thinks a guitar case is illegal to use to transport a rifle, ignore him. A guitar case is not designed to conceal a firearm, it's designed to transport and protect a guitar.

M. Sage
06-15-2008, 6:08 PM
As for that guy gunn who thinks a guitar case is illegal to use to transport a rifle, ignore him. A guitar case is not designed to conceal a firearm, it's designed to transport and protect a guitar.

I don't see where he thinks it's illegal.

It doesn't matter if the case is designed to disguise the fact that you're carrying a firearm, as long as it's not designed to allow you to fire the gun without opening the case.