PDA

View Full Version : Bought New Scope. What to do?!

wildcard
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Ok.. so I finally caved and purchased the Gen 2 SH IOR Scope from Liberty Optics: http://www.libertyoptics.com/ The man (Scott) made me a offer I really couldn't refuse.

Here's my dilemna:
I can hold my own with my current 10X scope in competitions.. but I simply need a higher magnification to stay competitive!

Do I install the scope as soon as I receive it and get in 3 small matches (APS Match, WEGC Match, and NorCal Match) along with some practice sessions before the big matches (SCPRC, NorCal, N Vs. S)?
Or do I drudge through the rest of the season with my 10X first so I have more time to confirm my dope and practice?

As I type this out, I think I will just install the darn thing and do my best. I'll probably have to guesstimate my dopes (ring height will be about .1" lower) and take a hit at the next two small matches :( Have to convert all my MOA adjustments to MILS and hope everything syncs up!

My current set up is so nicely centered and the data I worked so hard to collect is all there..

Hey.. anyone have some spare 8-40 Screws I can use for my scope base?

Timberwolf
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Uh oh - don't install it and screw yourself up . . . give it to me the rest of the season I'll try it out and get some dope for you :D

Bigugly
05-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I have some screws, 1/4 and 3/8" long. Both Torx and socket head. P.M. me.

Michael

wildcard
05-28-2008, 2:20 PM
I have some screws, 1/4 and 3/8" long. Both Torx and socket head. P.M. me.

Michael

Your offer is much appreciated. Sending you a PM right now.

ar15barrels
05-28-2008, 2:25 PM
Install it right away.
You can always just turn it to 10X and it would behave like your old one...

wildcard
05-28-2008, 2:56 PM
Install it right away.

Though I will miss my 56mm objective and huge FOV.. getting used to it is not what I'm worried about. It's the difference in dope and mathematical conversion i'm worried about. I suppose that if the MOA and MIL are exactly in sync with each other between the two scopes, then all I have to worry about is the difference in ring height.

rksimple
05-28-2008, 4:43 PM
Install it right away.

Not necessarily. His confirmed dope on the old IOR may not match up with the new one. Probably not enough to matter, especially within 800 yards or so, but it could. Jason's a good, reliable shooter and he'll probably notice those little differences.

Jason-I think you should just do it. Change it. We'll hit the WEGC and Nor Cal matches, gather a lot of data, and put it through the paces out in Willow Springs. You have plenty of time. And with so much solid, confirmed dope, you'll quickly be able to notice the differences (or lack thereof) and adjust for the trend. Its a sweet scope. You'll be happy.

Cypriss32
05-28-2008, 5:22 PM
Ryan, lets shoot some.

ar15barrels
05-28-2008, 5:29 PM
My Brazil trip just got pushed back a week.
Looks like I should be able to shoot APS and WEGC matches.

rksimple
05-28-2008, 5:42 PM
Ryan, lets shoot some.

Lets do it. The targets are set up out there all the time. Just need to know where to look. I'll probably have another 5 or so out there in another few weeks.

Prc329
05-28-2008, 6:27 PM
Install it and shoot the matches and see how you do. You can always reinstall and zero the old scope that you are used to. I moved from a 4x14 with old knobs to one with the new knobs and it took 2 shooting sessions to get used to the new knobs. You are making a bigger move (moa/mil to mil/mil) but it shouldn't take long to adjust.

wildcard
05-28-2008, 7:24 PM
You guys are right.. I'll just do it.. but after the APS match because I want to switch out my 8-40 screws and won't have them by then probably.

Ryan.. lets go shoot some. I'll help set up those targets.. dibs on the person staying behind and telling you they're visible :)

Adam.. you'll love what Ryan has done.. it's like Angeles but less formal, free, and longer range :) A donation of labor is generally required though!

PistolPete75
05-28-2008, 8:03 PM
Stimulus check?

I got me a small refund which just means I paid too much last year in taxes.

Congrats on your new scope. Just mount that scope, and shoot it.

Going from moa to mill takes a little getting used to. Best advantage is when you spot yourself, and readjust according to your recticle. I'm still getting used to mine.

Vu 308
05-28-2008, 8:46 PM
Install it and shoot it.

Cypriss32
05-28-2008, 9:49 PM
I got a couple steel targets i can bring out there. Me and my buddies will run with radios and set them up!

wildcard
05-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Stimulus check?

I got me a small refund which just means I paid too much last year in taxes.

Congrats on your new scope. Just mount that scope, and shoot it.

Going from moa to mill takes a little getting used to. Best advantage is when you spot yourself, and readjust according to your recticle. I'm still getting used to mine.

The $600 stimulus helped.. but so did the extra consulting. I figured why not since I haven't been doing that much shooting lately and saved a little $$$. Besides.. if i'm going to spend $500 - $600 in match fees alone for the rest of the year.. I might as well have the equipment to do decently!

Vu 308
05-29-2008, 5:38 PM
man..you bastards got 600..i got 249.00
lol

wildcard
05-29-2008, 6:42 PM
lol

Made just over $75K? What you need is a new tax man :)

Pthfndr
05-29-2008, 7:12 PM
lol

Quit your whining. I got nothing. :(

Mute
05-29-2008, 7:37 PM
Quit your whining. I got nothing. :(

I wouldn't complain too much about getting nothing (same boat). It means you're doing decently otherwise.

Vu 308
05-29-2008, 8:49 PM
Made just over $75K? What you need is a new tax man :)

LOL i seriously doubt that. My guy got me back almost 5 digits this last year so I am not going to ***** too much.

Pthfndr
05-29-2008, 9:02 PM
I wouldn't complain too much about getting nothing (same boat). It means you're doing decently otherwise.

Not really. I just chose the wrong year to sell off a mutual fund to pay off some debt. Had it been any other year I would have got the $600. Stupid friggin government.

PistolPete75
05-29-2008, 11:38 PM
My accountant is good, but expensive. I paid $750 in CPA fees alone. You guys got to remember, the more aggressive you are on your deductions the more your chances of getting audited. It's always better to pay a little, then get reamed by Uncle Sam.

I should be getting $1,500 from the stimulus check even though my gross was over 100k. Business deductions and mortgage interest deductions, all legit brought it down below the cutoff point. My check is going to Albertson's. You get an extra 10% if you trade your check in for a gift card.

Trick is knowing the system, and having legit write offs. If you make up write offs, and you get audited. They will ream your *** good with back taxes and interest. They have the power to check your past deposits in all your accounts. Something to think about. Another rule of thumb is 5 years. They can go back 5 years unless they suspect fraud. Remember the IRS is the biggest Gang around.

PistolPete75
05-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Not really. I just chose the wrong year to sell off a mutual fund to pay off some debt. Had it been any other year I would have got the $600. Stupid friggin government.

If you sold your funds when the dow was 13,500 plus you did a good thing. I think the market is artificially inflated right now.

wildcard
05-30-2008, 8:02 AM
Remember the IRS is the biggest Gang around.

I actually consider Law Enforcement the biggest gang around by definition. IRS is more like the mafia specializing in extortion :)

PistolPete75
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I actually consider Law Enforcement the biggest gang around by definition. IRS is more like the mafia specializing in extortion :)

true that.

RJHammy
05-30-2008, 2:44 PM
All I can say is that... for the next few weeks, I can buy whatever I want and Jason can't say a damn thing about it.

Honey... I just spent $30 on dog toys... but you spent way more on your scope.
I spent $180 on a necklace for my new pendant... but you spent way more on your scope.
I went out and got my hair highlighted, cut and styled... but you spent way more on your scope.
I just bought a Burberry purse... but you spent way more on your scope. :p

wildcard
05-30-2008, 2:50 PM
My safe haven has been infiltrated. So this is what Al would feel like if Peggy were to have joined "No Ma'am."

Everyone learn from Timberwolf's wisdom as I go edit some posts.

I am happily married to a wonderful, kind, sweet, generous, compasionate, lovely, smart, computer literate lady who knows what forums I frequent. No complaints here. :D

That was taken from a thread titled "The UNOFFICIAL spouse made me miserable rant page "

rksimple
05-30-2008, 2:54 PM
All I can say is that... for the next few weeks, I can buy whatever I want and Jason can't say a damn thing about it.

Honey... I just spent $30 on dog toys... but you spent way more on your scope.
I spent $180 on a necklace for my new pendant... but you spent way more on your scope.
I went out and got my hair highlighted, cut and styled... but you spent way more on your scope.
I just bought a Burberry purse... but you spent way more on your scope. :p

Every time I start hearing this from my wife about the $3k scope I bought, I remind her of the 400k+ house "she" bought.:D I'm just glad she doesn't navigate these forums!

wildcard
05-30-2008, 3:08 PM
Every time I start hearing this from my wife about the $3k scope I bought, I remind her of the 400k+ house "she" bought.:D I'm just glad she doesn't navigate these forums!

Don't forget about the 3K rifle shooting 1K in components annually your 3K optic is mounted on :) You keep reminding her about that house and you'll end up paying rent to the landlord! You should have PMed me that argument so I could use it!

RJHammy
05-30-2008, 3:13 PM
Aiya... I'm not spying on you. I'll leave you to your safe haven. I just came on because you were making such a big deal about it yesterday.

But before I go, I would like to share a conversation between me and Jason not too long ago...

Jason: I'm going camping and hunting in July.
Me: Can I come?
Jason: Umm... no.
Me: How come?
Jason: It's going to be me and the guys... and I don't want to be the loser who brings the girlfriend.

Hmmmph!!

wildcard
05-30-2008, 3:19 PM
Aiya... I'm not spying on you. I'll leave you to your safe haven. I just came on because you were making such a big deal about it yesterday.

But before I go, I would like to share a conversation between me and Jason not too long ago...

Jason: It's going to be me and the guys... and I don't want to be the loser who brings the girlfriend.

Hmmmph!!

That was actually a conversation regarding the upcoming 2-day matches at SCPRC, NorCal, and N vs. S. I don't think the quote was captured accurately as I usually excercise a little more tact.. but I suppose the underlying message is the same :)

rksimple
05-30-2008, 3:24 PM
If we do some bear hunting this year, you and your better half are welcome, Jason. I just have to get everything squared away with my FIL.

wildcard
05-30-2008, 4:14 PM
If we do some bear hunting this year, you and your better half are welcome, Jason. I just have to get everything squared away with my FIL.

Sweet deal Ryan. Looking forward to it. FILs..

Cypriss32
05-30-2008, 5:01 PM
Anyone get an Extra bipod for my buddie to shoot my loaner rifle? I will return it once match is finished.

ar15barrels
05-30-2008, 6:19 PM

Hmmmph!!

If you are a good cook, you are welcome in camp.
If you are just going to sleep in, whine about it being icky and want to leave early, then you don't get invited.

My dad's ex-girlfriend was like that when we took her fishing/camping for a few days.
Needless to say, we did not invite her again.

ar15barrels
05-30-2008, 6:20 PM
Anyone get an Extra bipod for my buddie to shoot my loaner rifle? I will return it once match is finished.

What length?

Cypriss32
05-30-2008, 6:21 PM
A short one?

ar15barrels
05-30-2008, 6:23 PM
A short one?

I have a 6-9 or a 9-13.
Both are non-swivel friction lock Harris.

Cypriss32
05-30-2008, 6:29 PM
6-9 is fine. Thanks randall..... Got my barrel today.
Heres my list, I just ordered the MIAD grip kit complete and JP rifle lengh hand gaurd. Another 208.00 gone!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/adam5432002/AR.jpg

ar15barrels
05-30-2008, 6:30 PM
6-9 is fine. Thanks randall..... Got my barrel today.
Heres my list, I just ordered the MIAD grip kit complete and JP rifle lengh hand gaurd. Another 208.00 gone!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/adam5432002/AR.jpg

What are you building it up for?
If it's for 3gun, you are going to want a monterman grip to have an open magwell.