PDA

View Full Version : Store AR15 in silicone bag?

Casual_Shooter
05-27-2008, 3:13 PM
Hi all,

I have my newly assembled AR15 in a Pelican case and don't plan on shooting it very often. i.e. maybe twice a year.

After cleaning, would there be any benefit of storing it in one of those silicone impregnated bags/ socks while in Pelican case?

Also, it will have an ACOG scope mounted on it shortly. If the rifle is stored in one of those silicone bags, would that negatively affect the scope?

Thanks.

pc_city
05-27-2008, 3:26 PM
Hi all,

I have my newly assembled AR15 in a Pelican case and don't plan on shooting it very often. i.e. maybe twice a year.

After cleaning, would there be any benefit of storing it in one of those silicone impregnated bags/ socks while in Pelican case?

Also, it will have an ACOG scope mounted on it shortly. If the rifle is stored in one of those silicone bags, would that negatively affect the scope?

Thanks.

You ought to give it away to someone who will use it. If you will not practice with it you will not be able to use it when it is really needed.

.22guy
05-27-2008, 3:44 PM
No, it should be fine. Look into Bore-Stores, they come in quite a few variations and offer lots of protection. They can take up a crap load of room in the safe though.

ocabj
05-27-2008, 3:51 PM
Make sure you always store a clean gun. The less fouling the better since powder/carbon fouling helps to attract moisture. Use a decent rust preventative and you're good. Make it a habit to inspect firearms twice a year if you store them away and never shoot them. Give the metal a once over with a clean, but oily rag (same oil you used for the preservative). Make sure there's no rust, etc.

scfast
05-27-2008, 4:58 PM
Twice a year? ammo's not that much yet...I kept my mini in a bore-store with optic when in the closet for 7 years no problems..

bwiese
05-27-2008, 5:06 PM
The foam in a Pelican case may trap moisture.

X-NewYawker
05-27-2008, 5:06 PM
Hey! Lay off the guy! With ammo prices, I shoot each gun only during the Vernal Equinox!

Jicko
05-27-2008, 5:08 PM
Hi all,

Thanks.

How sad for a rifle.... how about... I'll build you an airsoft w/ an airsoft scope and you can put it in your silicone bag... and they are totally OK, to be never handled... they won't have a hard feeling...

And then I will keep your AR w/ ACOG for you... and you can shoot it the 2 times you need to... per year.... I will even throw in ammo for you...

:D

toolman9000
05-27-2008, 5:13 PM
In a sealed case like a Pelican, I would highly recommend using a "sack-up" on the rifle and with some dessicant packs in the case. You should have no problem with long term storage, like Bill said the foam will trap moisture.

Casual_Shooter
05-27-2008, 5:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let someone else decide the "how many times one should shoot per year to be accepted" argument. ;)

I had the same thoughts about the case which is what prompted me to post. I figure even if I shoot more, storing a gun properly is still a good idea.

1lostinspace
05-27-2008, 5:57 PM
There is nothing wrong with saving a rifle, my AR will go to my son I have another upper that I plink around with.

I take my guns out and clean them every 3 months or so:TFH: