PDA

View Full Version : storing lower with hammer cocked our decocked?

Bruce3
05-27-2008, 11:39 AM
so i recently put together my lower and its going to be awhile before i can purchase a upper so in the mean time its hanging out in my safe. i was wondering if its better to store the lower with the hammer cocked or decocked or if it makes any difference at all.

wildcard
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Makes no difference as far as the spring is concerned.

I'd store it hammer decocked to avoid accidentally having it slam into something next time you pick it up though.

bwiese
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
As far as storage alone goes, no worries about spring tensions etc.

But you never want an AR hammer to fall on a lower receiver's front wall, that can crack the receiver.

ironcross
05-27-2008, 12:22 PM
As far as storage alone goes, no worries about spring tensions etc.

But you never want an AR hammer to fall on a lower receiver's front wall, that can crack the receiver.

I would suggest decocked. Would'nt want that happing^^

bigdave1121
05-27-2008, 1:45 PM
I would suggest decocked. Would'nt want that happing^^

Agreed.

My completed lower that's in my safe patiently waiting for its upper that'll be bought with my stimulus check (if it ever freaking comes!) has its hammer decocked.

SanSacto
05-27-2008, 2:52 PM
Agreed.

My completed lower that's in my safe patiently waiting for its upper that'll be bought with my stimulus check (if it ever freaking comes!) has its hammer decocked.

I also have a completed lower in my safe, decocked, waiting for an upper when I receive my stimulus check.

Linh
05-27-2008, 3:21 PM
I don't think it really matters.

But I have mine decocked.

soopafly
05-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Makes no difference as far as the spring is concerned.

I'd store it hammer decocked to avoid accidentally having it slam into something next time you pick it up though.Like your knuckle:pinch:. Yeah, I would store it decocked.

odysseus
05-28-2008, 1:29 PM
Force of habit, all stored decocked.