PDA

View Full Version : FN PS90 or FAL

marxdspot
05-27-2008, 9:20 AM
Hello again, Friends.

I'm really interested in purchasing both rifles, however, I only have enough to fund one. Both are priced relatively even...just can't decide. I initially wanted to go with the FAL because of all the after market add ons I could put on it and it's historical value, but I thought twice since I just acquired a PTR-91. On the other hand, I was considering the PS90 because of its unique modern look and tacticooool after market accessories. The downside I see for the PS90 is that it's obviously not going to reach out and touch "metal" like the FAL. The small caliber round was kind of a turn off. I've pretty much made-up my mind to own one or the other and won't be looking for other alternatives. Can ya'll help me decide? Please feel free to add your 2 cents as to why you chose one over the other.

Thanks for your help.

Toolbox X
05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
The PS90 would be absolutely amazing.....if the ammo didn't cost as much as .308.

If they ever make a PS90 in .22LR I will be the first person in line to buy one, but until them the PS90 is way too expensive to shoot.

PIRATE14
05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
well.....you already got the PTR-91 so that takes care of the 308......

So....get the PS90......

I was out blasting away this wkend w/ Michelles' rifle and it is very fast and very easy to hit multi-tgts w/.....it is very easy for small people to control and follow up shots are very fast......

True you really can't use all the benefits of the rifle in CALI but they are there......

AMMO...GAS it's all expensive but.....still gotta drive and shoot....;)

hybridatsun350
05-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm putting a vote in for the PS90. The FAL is an awesome rifle, but the PS90 just has that touch of uniqueness to it. It's not every day you go to the range and see somebody shooting a PS90. Or maybe they do at the range you go to! :)

gunsnrovers
05-27-2008, 10:59 AM
The PS90 is a blast to shoot, but the California legal version I handled was a PITA. The FAL is much easier to work with California compliancy wise.

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all. I guess I'll be going for the FAL. I got a smackin' deal on one over the PS90. No worries, though. I'll be back for the PS90 in the near future!:43: Thanks again and safe shootin' all!

duenor
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Of course the FAL.

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
LOL...thanks, Kev. Just spoke to Matt about it and ppt will be done there.

Of course the FAL.

RedDawn
05-28-2008, 1:12 PM
You won't regret it. FAL's are great shooters, and easy to to make CA compliant.

devjunk762
05-28-2008, 1:27 PM
The FAL is a solid choice. Totally macho and easy to neuter for CA- maglock, 10 rnd mag, and stripper cover.

PS90 is kewl in a sci-fi sort of way. But, you really have to go out of your way to neuter it for CA... extend barrel, 10 rnd mag, filling holes, bah. Wait to get this until you have lots of $$$ and are really bored. :43:

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 5:49 PM
Yeah...I'm real excited. Any feedback on the A.R.M.S. mount for the FAL? I was originally going to go with the original FAL Stanag mount, but found that it was too high. One plus with the, from what I've read, is that it's very solid compared to other aftermarket picatinny rail mounts. I was going to go with the A.R.M.S mainly because of it's rep, but wasn't sure how solid it sat on the receiver. Opinions? Other suggestions?

dfletcher
05-28-2008, 5:57 PM
Just a suggestion from a current DSA FAL owner, decide what sort of optics you want before buying a scope mount. The CA type scope mount with its open front restricts you to some fairly short scopes. A conventional scope mount such as a DSA has the covered ejection port that requires you to side load (unless you go the BB route) which is a pain, but does allow for any optic you want.

If you go the open front route, you might find that a 30mm cantilever scope mount coupled with a fairly short scope is a good choice.

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 6:00 PM
dlfetcher,
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I plan to go with the bullet button with this, so I'd actually prefer to go with the full top cover rail...ARMS in particular. Any personal experience with stability?

tiger222
05-28-2008, 6:49 PM
don't over scope the fal, a 4x hensoldt is perfect...a 6x kahles is a little too much..

the arms mounts can get loose over time, unless you find a good one. I prefer the older version that has the random weaver pattern. that with an arms #7 and the previously mentioned hensoldt is a nice solid combo...

also chose FAL in your survey, though personally I'd get a SIG556 in the "other choice...."

-hanko
05-28-2008, 7:00 PM
dlfetcher,
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I plan to go with the bullet button with this, so I'd actually prefer to go with the full top cover rail...ARMS in particular. Any personal experience with stability?
Search the FAL files...some anecdotal reports of the arms mount getting a little loose over time; this usually evolves into a discussion of ARMS v. DSA; no clear winner.

I have 3 arms #3's and 1 #4 mount, I shoot them a LOT. All are as tight as new. DSA mounts also have an outstanding reputation; I've shot a few belong to friends but never used one myself. Either are superior to Tapco.

If you can find a used Williams Armament or Leatherwood mount they also reportedly work well.

Otoh, if you have an L1A1 or Izzy clone, a SUIT is always nice in a retro sort of way.

I mounted an Eo-Tech 552 on an Imbel para gun, very nice for close shooting and still able to reach out and touch something (hard);)

As with most things FAL, it's nice to know you have a lot of choices.

ETA I shoot a DSA STG gun with an Arms #3 and a 1.5x6 Kahles. I agree you don't need the high end very often, but it's not bad to have the option.

-hanko

SVRider
05-28-2008, 7:55 PM
I vote independent.....

FS2000....cool bull-pup configuration like the PS90, but takes standard AR mags and regular 223 ammo. Best handling rifle I've picked up in a quite a while (and there are places that make them Cali compliant). I used to want the PS90, but after they neutered the ammo, I had second thoughts.

Just my $0.02.....

dfletcher
05-28-2008, 8:02 PM
dlfetcher,

Nope. The DSA one has 5 plates, two screws on each. It's solid once you get it in, but having 5 short plates that are supposed to slide in place is a bit of a chore. DSA has specific instructions on how to tighten it down (and I'd presume ARMS has their own instructions). Don't do & right & it slows down the bolt during recoil just a touch, enough to cause a jam or two when breaking in - as I found out. But after I set it up & put a hundred or so rounds through it it's run great. I went to OR over the weekend & didn't have to bother with the "one round a second" rule. Amazing how fast you can burn through 500 rounds.

ARMS is quality stuff, I'd presume their FAL mount is excellent.

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, SVRider, however I already have an FN FS2000 Standard with the stock scope. Got it for last year's father's day...gotta love the wife. In fact if you have one yourself, PM if you're interested in a buttstock extension. I'll be posting more info with pics of it soon. Thanks again.

I vote independent.....

FS2000....cool bull-pup configuration like the PS90, but takes standard AR mags and regular 223 ammo. Best handling rifle I've picked up in a quite a while (and there are places that make them Cali compliant). I used to want the PS90, but after they neutered the ammo, I had second thoughts.

Just my $0.02.....

76231b
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
FAL is mucho cooler.

JeffM
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
FAL without a doubt.

harlot
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
yummy FALs. The Cali legal PS90 is just way too neutered. I plan on Californicating my own FAL soon.

Q
05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
voted PS90 or wait for a scar L or H. FN!;)

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
LOL...put my CC on reserve with Lanworld for the SCAR L a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, that's one that I'm really looking forward to. For now, I'm gonna settle with an FN grand daddy...FAL.

voted PS90 or wait for a scar L or H. FN!;)

marxdspot
05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
don't over scope the fal, a 4x hensoldt is perfect...a 6x kahles is a little too much..

the arms mounts can get loose over time, unless you find a good one. I prefer the older version that has the random weaver pattern. that with an arms #7 and the previously mentioned hensoldt is a nice solid combo...

also chose FAL in your survey, though personally I'd get a SIG556 in the "other choice...."

Thanks tiger222. I'll your word along with others by not overscoping and will be considering the 4x Hensoldt scope. I'll have to read more about the available mounts out there, but I could see how the ARMS #7 could be more solid. I'm gonna have to do some homework. Thanks again. Oh, and by the way, here's my Sig 556:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/marxdspot/Items%20of%20Sale/Sig556sideview.jpg

4 Brigada
05-29-2008, 2:42 PM
Have to go with the FAL. I dont shoot it beyond 300m, so I dont need a scope. Good for all four and two legged animals in CA.

1919_4_ME
05-29-2008, 9:18 PM
I would definitley go with the Fal becuase they are FAL-bulous....:chris:

marxdspot
05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I would definitley go with the Fal becuase they are FAL-bulous....:chris:

FAL-acio;)

marxdspot
06-13-2008, 11:17 AM
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their feed back on helping me make my choice...the FAL. I went ahead and purchased a rare like new South African FAL Parts kit built on an Imbel Logo receiver. All the metal parts were reparked. Pics below.

Parts List:
Like-New SA Parts Kit
Imbel Logo Receiver
10/20 US Mag
Pinned/Fixed Mag (Just received jjperl's BB waiting to be installed)
ARMS Scope Riser
ARMS QD Scope Rings
ARMS FAL Mount
Millet DMS-1
Padded Cheek Riser
(added the bipod and carry handle...just didn't look complete with out them)

Again, thanks everyone! FAL-acio all the way!!!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/marxdspot/Items%20of%20Sale/IMG00151.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/marxdspot/Items%20of%20Sale/IMG00150.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w316/marxdspot/Items%20of%20Sale/IMG00149.jpg

1919_4_ME
06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Chics love PS90's...:chris:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/277/fnps901fg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2791/10012661a7abd6ee4kx3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)