PDA

View Full Version : DSArms FAL?

X-NewYawker
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
DS Arms lists "california models with stripper clip guide receiver covers -- Before you yell at me, do any of you OWN one and can guide me to your post if you already talked about it -- and if one had a CA DSA, and then put a MMG on it, could a solid cover be installed?

RedDawn
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
It's not on the list, so if you put a MMG or something similar on it...then yes it would be legal to put a full cover on and use detachable mags. Make sure you get the model with the muzzle brake and not the flash hider.:D

I have one and love it. I kept the mag fixed however.

X-NewYawker
05-26-2008, 10:35 PM
The picture my mother was sure she would see in THE NEW YORK POST -- me and my first FAL --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Daddy-and-his-FN-FAL-.jpg

It the feel of that gun I'd love to replicate...

FlyingPen
05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Let me be the first to say... TRIGGER FINGER!! :P

RedDawn
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I believe the MMG grip has the same rake as the original FAL grips. You just can't have that flash hider.:D

X-NewYawker
05-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Let me be the first to say -- 17 years old and 30 years ago flagging the trigger was at yet unknown in the Manhasset Bay Sportsmen's club. All the movie stars had their fingers on their triggers. We learned, as time progressed...

vf111
05-27-2008, 12:06 AM
The DSA CA-compliant rifles have the mag fixed to the rifle via a weld behind the mag release that prevents it from swiveling. Because the mag is fixed, you can put anything you want on it: flash-hider, pistol grip, folding stock, etc. (but no grenade launcher). Since FN designed the original FAL's to allow top loading via the stripper clip cover, the DSA is particularly appropriate for a CA compliant fixed mag rifle.

dfletcher
05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
I have the STG with 16" bbl. I replaced the T48 type dust cover with a conventional one and bought their regular scope cover also. If I were going to use iron sights I suppose I'd keep the T48 top and single load, I'm not very good with stripper clips. As it is I just side load with the scope dust cover. Kind of a pain, but trying to get a scope on the CA legal scope cover didn't work out for me.

BTW, I did the easily reversible "set screw" mag set up. Just returned from southern OR for the Memorial Day weekend and shot the FAL with detach 20 round mags. Great fun and the 16" bbl doesn't give up much by way of accuracy up to about 300 yds. The steel pigs & rams and a camel were regularly pinged and believe it or not, the much maligned steel cased Wolf worked perfectly - at $60.00 for 500 rounds how can you go wrong. Now for the cleaning ......

bigd92021
05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Is the weld on the botttom half or top half of the mag release? Why could you not just remove the mag release and replace it with a new one that is not welded and remove the pistol grip, then could you have a 10 round detach mag and be legal?

thedrickel
05-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Is the weld on the botttom half or top half of the mag release? Why could you not just remove the mag release and replace it with a new one that is not welded and remove the pistol grip, then could you have a 10 round detach mag and be legal?

The mag release isn't welded. There is a dab of weld behind it, in the ejector block, that keeps it from pivoting backward.

Underneath the pistol grip is a stud, your grasp of which may be considered a pistol style grasp by any of the 58 DA's ;)

HeyZeus
05-30-2008, 6:14 AM
I have one and i love it. If mag is fixed flash hider is ok.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/pbcHeyZeus/100_0943.jpg

duenor
05-30-2008, 8:06 AM
DSA makes good FAL rifles. Their cut covers are replicas of the T48 cover (stripper clip guide). The guide does not work well with stripper clips, as opposed to the real T48 covers. With some work, it may function as intended.

There are several methods of fixing the magazine into the rifle. Here at EAI we use a set screw in the magazine release to prevent it from being actuated. It is easily reversible by swapping out the original release. At one point we were urged by the DOJ to weld our magazines into the well; when further study revealed that this was not actually legally required, we ceased to do so.

16" barrel FALs do not lose too much in accuracy at intermediate range, but the report is increased. Add a para stock and para recoil system and you really begin to feel the difference.

As for whether the FAL can be made featureless, I am not certain. The stud that protrudes from within the grip may easily be considered a PG. And, due to the type of recoil system the FAL has (especially the rat tail), making the rifle featureless may be very difficult. That said, I can envision an excellent U15 type stock using the para system. Perhaps one day.

DSA MSRP is roughtly $1350 for the Kit Built Models IIRC. They also do not ship to CA in AW or non-AW configuration as well; you will have to go through an intermediary out of state that can convert the rifle to non-AW configuration before it enters the state. Metroshot carries DSA FAL rifles; the last time I was there, he had two for about $1750 or so (these had the CA modifications installed).

EAI MSRP is $999 for the Kit Built model. CGN members recieve free shipping anywhere within the state. If you happen to live in SoCal, you can DROS the rifle at our factory showroom here in Baldwin Park.

Both manufacturers are known to provide product support.

Kev
kevin(at)entreprise.com

thedrickel
05-30-2008, 9:52 AM
Easiest way to go featureless right now is with a filled thumbhole, but the thing will weigh a ton.

Why would DSA have a whole Cali rifles section on their site, and why would we be discussing welded up ejector blocks, if DSA didn't ship directly to CA? :confused:

You also fail to mention the differences in the kits in your kit builds - theirs are STG's, yours are IMBEL. Big difference.

FlyingPen
05-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Is there some informative page besides Wiki that shows why the FAL is so great and why you should buy one instead of an AR-10 besides cost? :)

Do FALs generally eat steel cased ammo without trouble?

FlyingPen
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
This does look pretty cool though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/ModernparaFAL.JPG/800px-ModernparaFAL.JPG

-hanko
05-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Is there some informative page besides Wiki that shows why the FAL is so great and why you should buy one instead of an AR-10 besides cost? :)

Do FALs generally eat steel cased ammo without trouble?
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/ to start...it is admittedly biased.

Re: v. the AR10...

It's been proven in battle, a bunch

It's ergonomics are better, especially the charging handle (moreso if the AR has a scope) I like the lop and grip angle v. the AR.

Parts are readily available and generally less expensive. Check magazine prices.;)

A folding-stock version is easy, as is a clip fed version.

An AR will be more accurate, generally, but the FAL was not invented to be a target rifle. The question is what you want to shot and how far.

Either DSA or Enterprise will have what you need.

How's that for a start??

-hanko

dfletcher
05-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Just to round out a few comments, unless it's very recent DSA does ship complete rifles to CA. They went through some aggravation with DOJ a while back, that's done with: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202214

So far as steel cased (Wolf) I generally don't use it but did last weekend and it worked perfectly. Literally no stoppage through hundreds of rounds. Of course now I have hundreds of rounds worth of crud to clean out ....

Just my guess, but I think the grip stud could get you in hot water. Would any reasonable person consider it a PG - no. Would one of our DAs (like SF's Harris with the Mayor's support) use it to try & nail someone - absolutely.

cactus
05-30-2008, 3:14 PM
Mr Fletcher thank you for your pm regarding affixing the magazine that is the simplest strait forward idea I have heard. Thank you again!

dfletcher
05-30-2008, 3:24 PM
Welcome - I steal all my knowledge from other Calguns posters ....... ;)