View Full Version : Is it legal to take a registered AR out of state for hunting

05-26-2008, 3:08 PM
and then return with it?
I have searched the DOJ website and can not find any information about this.

I would like to take my AR to CO for coyote hunting, however I don't want to get into some kind of illegal importation thing.

This is a rifle that I have owned for many years and is legally registered.

Thanks for any help.


05-26-2008, 3:14 PM
I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California?
I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California?

Yes, as a long as it is transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 12285 and 12026.1. These sections of law may be accessed on the DOJ Bureau of Firearms Website's Online Dangerous Weapons Control Laws.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-26-2008, 3:27 PM
Does Colorado require the use of 5 round magazines while shooting coyotes?

05-27-2008, 5:47 AM
My buddies out there usually go with 20's, but I am not sure how up on the actual regulations they are. I will check to make sure. I am teacher and don't want any troubles with the law.

Thanks for the heads up.


05-27-2008, 3:34 PM
It really depends on the laws of the states that you want to hunt in.

05-27-2008, 6:03 PM
hmmm interesting name. . What say the brother?

05-27-2008, 7:08 PM
1. When you say 'registered', does this mean specifically registered as an assault weapon, a process that was entirely separate from the DROS/4473 forms you filled out at your FFL?

If it's a true as-marked Colt AR15 you would've had to have specially registered it as an AW during 1990 or perhaps the 'catch up' period a year or two later (I forget when). If it was an AR 'clone' (Colt Sporter, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, etc.) it had to be registered as an AW by Jan 23, 2001.

This involved mailing a special form to DOJ Firearms Div along with $20 fee, entirely separate from any forms you filled out at the dealership.

2. You are free to travel from and back into California with your registered AWs, as well as any hicap mags you acquired/owned in CA before 1/1/2000.

I do it all the time - I've flown with three reg'd AWs up to Oregon / Idaho and back a week later, for example. I regularly fly to Northwest with at least one AW (usu an AR), some hicaps and some ammo, with the odd pistol thrown in just for fun.

3. Check where you're going. Most free states don't have any definition of AW. Colorado has a specific ban in Denver city only, but I am not sure of details. (Could be one in CO Springs, but don't think so.) Have no idea about hunting/game regs & mag capacity - those are separate from AW matters.

4. When you & your AW are travelling within CA, you should transport your reg'd AW locked & unloaded, going only to a specific authorized destination (your home, out-of-state location, a shooting range, etc.) No AWs as 'truck guns'.

05-27-2008, 7:19 PM
hmmm interesting name. . What say the brother?