PDA

View Full Version : Which FAL Configuration?

t001
05-26-2008, 2:29 PM
Been thinking about a FAL. Mainly for target shooting and for its historical importance. I like the DSA Standard in 21" due to its similarity to the military original. However, the Congo (fixed stock) with its 18" looks like it might be a little more unwieldy as well as being somewhat historically significant too. Any thoughts on how the 18" performs compared to the 21"? Accuracy, recoil, feel, etc.? Also, I thought I read in another thread here or somewhere else that the Para stock is somewhat uncomfortable to use. Any first-hand experience?

What about receiver types? Any reason to prefer Type I over Type II or vice versa? I understand that the different cuts were mainly for auto-fire use and probably not too relevant with semi-autos. So does it come down to cosmetics and historical accuracy depending on which time period one hopes to recreate?

Finally, are DSA's CA models completely reversible for eventual out-of-state or featureless use? I won't mind using the stripper clips for here and now, as it is not too bad with FAL's, but it will be nice to be able to bring it back to original eventually where legal. I read on DSA's website that it is, but they want you to send the rifle to them to reverse (knock out the weld?) in order to preserve the warranty. Would it be easier to order a regular model and have someone like CWS or Lanworld relay it and just use the various BB's available now?

Anyone order from DSA directly? How do you get the dealer pricing? Does your FFL really have to send a note saying it's o.k. for you to do so as some mentioned on FALFiles?

Thanks for any suggestions and comments.

X-NewYawker
05-26-2008, 2:48 PM
Are these stripper clip only deals?

DedEye
05-26-2008, 3:15 PM
Are these stripper clip only deals?

Thedrickel and jjperl both make Bullet Buttons for the FAL as well.

smle-man
05-26-2008, 3:31 PM
Been thinking about a FAL. Mainly for target shooting and for its historical importance. I like the DSA Standard in 21" due to its similarity to the military original. However, the Congo (fixed stock) with its 18" looks like it might be a little more unwieldy as well as being somewhat historically significant too. Any thoughts on how the 18" performs compared to the 21"? Accuracy, recoil, feel, etc.? Also, I thought I read in another thread here or somewhere else that the Para stock is somewhat uncomfortable to use. Any first-hand experience?

What about receiver types? Any reason to prefer Type I over Type II or vice versa? I understand that the different cuts were mainly for auto-fire use and probably not too relevant with semi-autos. So does it come down to cosmetics and historical accuracy depending on which time period one hopes to recreate?

Finally, are DSA's CA models completely reversible for eventual out-of-state or featureless use? I won't mind using the stripper clips for here and now, as it is not too bad with FAL's, but it will be nice to be able to bring it back to original eventually where legal. I read on DSA's website that it is, but they want you to send the rifle to them to reverse (knock out the weld?) in order to preserve the warranty. Would it be easier to order a regular model and have someone like CWS or Lanworld relay it and just use the various BB's available now?

Anyone order from DSA directly? How do you get the dealer pricing? Does your FFL really have to send a note saying it's o.k. for you to do so as some mentioned on FALFiles?

I have the 16" DSA carbine version and I wish I had opted for the 21" version instead. The recoil and muzzle blast from the short barrel and light weight is a bit off-putting. The cool and handiness factor is high but it really isn't that much fun to shoot.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/dsa58.jpg

gunsnrovers
05-26-2008, 3:42 PM
I have two built on DSA type II's. The SADF R1 clone was built by Azex Arms and is a standard 21" rifle.

The 2nd was built by CGW with Israeli stock and forearm and cut to 18". I prefer shooting the 18". Just a bit more handy.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/mrbieler/Two_Fals.jpg

Both have fake flash hiders and I'll pop on MMG's when they finally come out. In the meantime, dumping ten rounds in from the top is a piece of cake on the FAL.

t001
05-26-2008, 4:08 PM
gunsnrovers,

Pretty rifles. Do you find accuracy to be affected with the 18" over the 21"? Is the recoil more or about the same? Other than the handiness factor, is one easier to shoot than the other? Also, those kinda look like Type II upper receivers in the pic, in that there don't seem to be curved cuts toward the back? Am I mistaken? I'm a FAL newb.

C.G.
05-26-2008, 4:11 PM

21" should get you out to 1000 yards, 18" will not; depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Perceived recoil will be a little more with the 18". I have a Para and yes, it will pound your shoulder a tad more, but I put a rubber pad on mine and it is now just like the standard model.

You are correct.

That is what I would do, last I heard DSA would not reverse a CaliFAL. It is relatively easy to reverse it yourself, however.

That only works on receivers, not rifles and if you join FALFILES you should get the dealer pricing on a receiver anyway.

Answers provided above.:)

gunsnrovers
05-26-2008, 5:05 PM
I don't shoot out past 300 yards so I can't tell you what I'll lose at longer ranges, but I find the 18" rifle no less accurate for what I do. I have not noticed an increase in recoil either. Both are built on Type II receivers.

t001
05-26-2008, 5:25 PM
gunsnrovers, oops, I meant to ask if those were Type "I" receivers, since I don't see relief cuts in the back?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/receivers3types.jpg

gunsnrovers,

...Also, those kinda look like Type II upper receivers in the pic, in that there don't seem to be curved cuts toward the back? Am I mistaken? I'm a FAL newb.

HUTCH 7.62
05-26-2008, 5:32 PM
I have the DSA stg 58 16" inch barrel I am currently rebarreling it to a 21" barrel. I think if I had a paratrooper I would opt for a 16" The FAL really is'nt a tactical rifle.

WilsonCQB
05-26-2008, 6:11 PM
The pictures are labeled correctly as to the type of receiver. So, picture 1 is a type "1", not a type "I".

gunsnrovers, oops, I meant to ask if those were Type "I" receivers, since I don't see relief cuts in the back?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/receivers3types.jpg

gunsnrovers
05-26-2008, 6:27 PM
Sorry. I wasn't paying attention on my earlier posts. Those two rifles are built on DSA Type 1's. The R1 clone is one of DSA's G1 marked receivers. The Israeli clone is on a regular one.

That's what I get for trying to have two conversations at the same time.:oops:

t001
05-26-2008, 6:29 PM
WilsonCQB, thanks for the reply. I was using roman numerals "I" and "II" to denote "1" and "2", not the letter "eye". My question was directed at the picture in Post #5 whether those receivers are of Type "I (1)" or "II (2)".

The pictures are labeled correctly as to the type of receiver. So, picture 1 is a type "1", not a type "I".

gunsnrovers, o.k., gotcha, I was just curious, since I'm new at this and trying to learn. I won't be shooting beyong 300yds for all practical intents, either, and the Congo's 18" would seem like a nice length. However, several people have commented that they would rather go back to 21". No, this isn't going to be a tacticool rifle. I like military rifles in as-issued stock configurations.

X-NewYawker
05-26-2008, 9:31 PM
Ah -- the answers to my other thread -- mostly -- Have local LA dealers had the nerve to order these?

50 Freak
05-26-2008, 9:39 PM
I have the DSA stg 58 16" inch barrel I am currently rebarreling it to a 21" barrel. I think if I had a paratrooper I would opt for a 16" The FAL really is'nt a tactical rifle.

I think it is....here's mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/ParaFal002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/FAL008.jpg

C.G.
05-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Nice, except for the railed handguard mine looks just like that.:)

HUTCH 7.62
05-29-2008, 9:07 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/ParaFal002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/JustaBlokeAnywhere/FAL008.jpg

yaaahh cause you have a paratrooper. BTW I'm super jealous

westcoastr
06-04-2008, 6:56 AM
i have an 18" but looking back would get a 21" with a short gas system if possible, and free float it - this would lighten up the front end a bit. my thoughs are that if your going to send 308s might as well get the best performance and accuracy.

go with the hampton lower, the A2 sights are great (i use a KNS front cross)

and get a trigger job, mine breaks at 3.75 lbs and it will be one of the best things you can do to increase accuracy

-hanko
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Go with a 21" barrel for targets. If you're looking for authenticity, the 'congo' version isn't a replica, it's a dsa design. South African guns are not close to the 'congo', though it looks good. You'll loose some downrange velocity with a shorter barrel. Sight radius will remain the same, so it's more the shooter/ammo than the rifle. Recoil is light regardless of configuration since it's a gas gun. Comfort of use is anecdotal, my para's are not uncomfortable. One is always folded on the back seat of my truck;). Some just prefer conventional stock.

If you want authenticity, match the lower to the upper. There were quite a few military guns that had mis-matched uppers and lowers...it varies by country.

They're supposed to be reversible, and some posts indicate it's an easy process...i.e., you can diy. Most effective 'bullet button' is simply using an allen screw on the mag release.

I tell DSA I'm an fal-files member and get good pricing. They used to accept verbal authorization from your ffl, not sure what current rules are. I've had zero issues placing an order, as long as the license is on file with DSA.

Check the research forum on the fal files for a lot more.

-hanko

GlockComa
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I have 2 FALs as well. A 16inch and 21inch. Definitely the 21 inch is a bit more fun to shoot since it has a scope and bipod. 16in is fun as well but can get a bit heavy to hold for along time.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/ShogunAkitas/1.jpg

t001
06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Great, thanks for all the responses. I think you have convinced me to go with the 21" with the fixed stock option. I like military-type rifles that have a bit of authenticity to them. I think I like the Type 2 with a carry handle. Wonder how long the wait is for one?

BTW, does the duracoat do much? In keeping with the authentic motive, perhaps I should stay with the standard parkerized finish?

westcoastr
06-04-2008, 12:48 PM
duracoat is a few hundred $$ and mine was flawless, so good i cringe when i nick it. a few solvents will attack it though. if i soak too long in Carb-out and brush hard, it will start to peel on the corners of a the gas plug and flash hider for example

vandal
06-05-2008, 8:52 AM
I have an 18" FAL and really like that length. I have had the pleasure of shooting prone next to a guy with a 16" FAL with a brake and years later I am still picking dirt out of my teeth. I thought about going the Para route with mine but it is a $$ operation and IIRC still longer folded than my M4.

X-NewYawker
06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I just spoke to the wonderfully friendly people at DS Arms and they said that FN actually made more 21 inch models with folders. I am ordering a 21 inch para to try to get the best of BOTH worlds.

-hanko
06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I just spoke to the wonderfully friendly people at DS Arms and they said that FN actually made more 21 inch models with folders. I am ordering a 21 inch para to try to get the best of BOTH worlds.
+1. Para's came with 21" or 17-3/8" barrels.

-hanko