PDA

View Full Version : zero issues w/ 4x scope

baselfish
05-25-2008, 3:16 PM
howdee all...

just completed my zeroing...

#1. preliminary laser boresight

#2. down to the range to "sight in" at 100 yrds (at 1X) on bag mounts - did the three round clusters and adjusted the scope for height and windage

after a set of three groupings (9 rounds total) - got my rifle on the money dead centered...snuffed out the center red bulls eye...

now when i move the scope up to 4x - shots start going way high - like 2-3 inches above center...

im still learing all these aspects about MOA and sighting in...
can someone please let me know if i am doing somehting wrong or need to be doing something else...

thanks all

bf

jandmtv
05-25-2008, 3:18 PM
your poi changes when you zoom?

what scope?

bohoki
05-25-2008, 3:19 PM
try zeroing at max zoom

X-NewYawker
05-25-2008, 3:28 PM
Zoom should NOT effect zero -- that's the point!
What scope/mount? Did you keep same sandbag arrangement?
Going from bag to bipod can change POI like that, but zooming scope shouldn't.

baselfish
05-25-2008, 7:33 PM
millet dms-1

everything is the same...
bags, mounts, ammo, etc...(obviously i am aiming for dead center)

now that im thinking...
maybe at 1x i think my aiming point is lower than i think...

so i guess there is nothing wrong in sighting in at 4x?

that way you can be sure as you can that you are aiming at dead center...

i guess its off to pick up some more targets and back to the range...

thanks all..

bf

jacques
05-25-2008, 8:22 PM
On my scope, the center of the dots are one mil apart. This holds true only if the scope is at 10x power. At 100 yards, 1-mil is 3.6 inches at full power.

This is why they may be saying to set to full power when sighting in. But it shouldn't matter what mag you are at. I would suggest a higher magnification when sighting in though.

Nate Haler
05-26-2008, 9:20 AM
If your POI (point of impact) changes as you change magnification in your variable scope, then you have a scope problem.

It's one of the things to check, along with repeatability of adjustments and click value of adjustments -- both of which can be assessed via the 'box' test.

ketec_owner
05-26-2008, 9:25 AM
I'd agree. It sounds like a scope problem. It would make sense if you changed distances and you had a POI change - but if you remained at the same yardage and changed the zoom from 1x to 4x - then it sounds like something is kittywampus in the scope. Did you POI return to normal after returning back to 1x magnification.

The only way to assure dead center is to either bore sight the rifle, using a scope bore sighting tool, or use a laser bore sighter to first establish the dead center of the bore to the scope. This is usually done at shorter ranges taking into account the bullet drop for the load, bullet weight, and barrel length your using because the POI will change on range, wind, atmospheric pressure, and angle of the rifle.

Also - I looked up your scope. Attached is the specification on the reticle.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9166/milletdmrit3.jpg