PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on caliber

Flat head guy
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm just starting out but would like some advice on which caliber to use. I'd like to start shooting 200-600 yards across the course, but would like to look into shooting 1000 yards once my skills get better. Any help would be appreciated!:gunsmilie:

jandmtv
05-25-2008, 11:44 AM

StraightShooter
05-25-2008, 5:09 PM
.243 winchester is superior to .308 for 1000 yard shooting. You will need to reload for .243 because factory match ammo isnt available like it is for .308. If you dont plan to reload then .308 it the only logical choice.

Flat head guy
05-25-2008, 6:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, has anyone had any luck with a .260? I've heard that they work pretty well. I have a Ruger action that I could get re-barreled would that work OK? I'm trying to do this on a budget.

StraightShooter
05-25-2008, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, has anyone had any luck with a .260? I've heard that they work pretty well. I have a Ruger action that I could get re-barreled would that work OK? I'm trying to do this on a budget.

.260 is also a good round. Ruger actions are not recommend for precision builds. It is best to do it on a remington 700 action. Usually you can buy a used remington 700 for pretty cheap and If you want to change or upgrde the stock you can sell off the old stuff and recoup some of your money.

I wanted to add, .308 is the best caliber if you want long barrel life. You can get up to 9000 rounds of good accuracy out of a barrel if it is well taken care of. The .243 is going to get good accuracy anywhere from 2000 to 5000 rounds depending on how hot you load the rounds. For reloading, .243 components tend to be a little cheaper so i think it can go either way

PatriotnMore
05-25-2008, 6:17 PM
.300, .416
shoot what you can hit with the most accuracy. Accuracy and placement is more important than caliber. Although to 1000 meters, caliber is important when wind comes into play.

Flat head guy
05-25-2008, 6:31 PM
How about stock? scope/sights? I basically need a ground up build. I've also heard a lot about the 6/6.5mm's... any thoughts? Where's the best place to find a used Remington? Sorry for all the questions...thanks for all the patience. My budget is no more than about $2700.00

Fjold
05-25-2008, 6:34 PM
Calguns is great for a number of different things but if you want to shoot across the course you need to be here:
http://www.nationalmatch.us/

StraightShooter
05-25-2008, 7:20 PM
How about stock? scope/sights? I basically need a ground up build. I've also heard a lot about the 6/6.5mm's... any thoughts? Where's the best place to find a used Remington? Sorry for all the questions...thanks for all the patience. My budget is no more than about $2700.00

Stocks range alot in money and options but the more expensive you go the more custom you get. It doesnt mean that they will be better. A HS precision stock is a great value and will provide an excellent base for your action and be comfortable to shoot. You can also go all out out and get a mcmillan made exactly the way you want it with all the bells and whistles for around 1000 bucks but you can also get a nice simple mcmillan or AICS for arounf $750. IOR makes great scopes that are reasonable. I have a burris XTR that cost me about 600 bucks. The turrets track perfectly on mine. Today I took a long range class and I put in 25.25 minutes of elevation ( which equals 101 clicks) and then brought it all the way back to a 100 yard zero and it was dead on. The burris also comes with a lifetime no hassle warranty. Pretty much any 6.5 to 6mm caliber can make a good shooter but you need to look into barrel life and make sure you know if it is a barrel burner or not and decide what is accaptable barrel life. Also, you should stay away from wildcat cartridges (like .243 ackley, etc) unless you have a lot of skill and patience reloading. Snipershide.com usually has used remington 700's for sale and sometimes you can get just a barreled action which will save you some money. Gunbroker.com is another place. If you do buy a gun online then you need to anticipate the cost of the ffl transfer which should be around 50 bucks. $2700 bucks will get you a nice rifle. If you are patient and keep a lookout in the for sale sections on different forums and gunbroker you can save yourself a lot of money. You may even find a nice used gun that fits your needs which would save you a ton of time and maybe money. Feel free to ask questions. You can even PM me if you want. Good luck.

ocabj
05-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm just starting out but would like some advice on which caliber to use. I'd like to start shooting 200-600 yards across the course, but would like to look into shooting 1000 yards once my skills get better. Any help would be appreciated!:gunsmilie:

If you are going to shoot service rifle, then it's going to be .223 with the AR15, even out to 1000 yards. The advancements in 22 cal bullets in the past 10 years make the AR15 the platform for Across the Course service rifle.

If you want to shoot match rifle, then there are several options. You'll probably want to stick with something in the 6mm or 6.5mm family. Less recoil than the .308 and far better bullet selection. Some of these cartridges include: 6mmBR, 6XTC, .260 Remington, and now 6.5 Creedmoor. Of those cartridges, I'd be inclined to shoot 6mmBR or try out 6.5 Creedmoor. The .308 is probably one of the last cartridges you would consider for a Match Rifle XTC gun.

I think you need to figure out what platform you'll be shooting on. You quoted a $2700 budget. That's fairly decent. You might want to talk to Gary Eliseo and get an R5 tube gun built on a Remington 700 action and shooting the 6mmBR cartridge.

http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/

You can probably do an R5 with sights for that price.

anglicomarine
05-26-2008, 1:03 PM
I just bought an R5 repeater kit Competition Shooting Stuff. I went with a 6mmBR. I thought about a 6mm improved round but didn't want to fire form. I'm a gas gun guy from Michigan and didn't want to try and navigate the gun laws in Cali...and my eyes aren't what they were. We'll have to see how the bolt gun things go...but I'll let you know how the R5 project goes.

LongRng
05-29-2008, 8:53 PM
It really goes to how much money you wish to invest into your first gun shooting across the course and 1000 yards. I grew up on the 308, but there are so many other bullets out there that are doing very good. Check with Creedmoore Sports and see what they are selling for what you are asking.

BallisticTech
05-30-2008, 3:06 PM
I use a .308 Win. The gun is a Robar SR-90 w/ a US Optics SN3 Scope with an advanced mildot reticle (1/4 mil incremints). I have pictures of it in the sniper manual that I wrote, "Disciplined Precision."

As several people have suggested, the .243 and 260 are superb 1,000 yard guns, if you reload. However, few people routinely shoot beyond 800 yards. Therefore, it might be best (if you do not reload) to choose the .308 Win.

I shot my .308 out to 1,065 yds this past weekend (w/ reloads). Groups averaged 13" with gusting winds. If I had been shooting a .243 or 260, then groups would probably be around 8" or so b/c of the high B.C. bullets and high velocity.