PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy with different bullets

TMC
05-24-2008, 2:55 PM
Maybe some of you long range guys can help me out here. My AR with a JP barrel will shoot Noslier ballistic tip 55's very well, almost one hole at 100 with my 4x scope but Winchester 55's shoot about a 5". I have 3 shooting buddies all with the same barrel. Of the 4 guns two will shoot the Winchester 55' fine, sub MOA, mine and another will not. It hass nothing to do with the reloading, of the two rifle that shoot well, my rounds will shoot fine out of thier guns. Their Win 55 loads do not shoot any better out of my gun than my rounds. Mine is the oldest barrel with about 8-9K through it, but the other barrel that won't shoot has only about 3K. The two that shoot well have 5K and about 2K so its doesn't seem to be a wear issue.

Any thoughs?

Blacktail 8541
05-24-2008, 3:41 PM
Winchester 55 fmj bullets are a hit or miss propersition as far as accuracy is concerned. Mostly miss. They will seldom shoot favorably. Your friends should count themselves fortunate.

Fjold
05-24-2008, 7:23 PM
Every barrel is an individual also.

CAT_101
05-24-2008, 8:52 PM
Winchester 55 fmj bullets are a hit or miss propersition as far as accuracy is concerned. Mostly miss. They will seldom shoot favorably. Your friends should count themselves fortunate.

That is what I use and have had very good results. I do hand load each round for best results. But the win 55gr is shooting a sub MOA out to 300yds with a SS bull 16" 1-9 twist. I just have to correct a little more for wind at longer ranges.

CSACANNONEER
05-25-2008, 9:13 AM
Every barrel is an individual also.

+1

Every individual reacts differently to the same situation. The same is true with barrels and bullets.

Sheldon
05-26-2008, 12:18 AM
The base of the bullets on the FMJ Winchester 55 gr bullets are open and not very consistant in shape. The ballistic tipped Nosler's bullet bases on the other hand are much more consistant due to the closed base design. Also the Winchester will not be as consistant as the more expensive Nosler bullet in any given specification just due to the accuracy specification each manufacturer is trying to achieve. That Winchester round was built to military accuracy spec. which is not "match" standard by any means.