PDA

View Full Version : Almost done with AR build, need a little help

lakerdude123
05-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Well, I'm finally nearing the end of my first AR build. I have the upper and lower assembled, with bolt and carrier and a Hogue free float tube. The barrel I ordered is a DPMS 20 inch SS from Midway USA. It's backordered but should come soon. When I get the barrel, what is the proper way to install it? I've read a lot about it, and it seems that all I have to do is put the upper in the action block, slip in the barrel, and tighten the free float tube, no washers or anything. then of course there is the gas tube and gas block. Also, do I have to worry about headspace? Thanks for any help.

jandmtv
05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Its always good to check headspace, even on a new barrel, you just never know.

What part of Cali are you in?

lakerdude123
05-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm a couple hours north of Sacramento, near Redding. But yeah so I guess I should just finish the build and take it into the gunsmith. I'm sure he can check headspace.

ar15barrels
05-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Put some grease on the threads of the receiver and a little dab on the front of the barrel extension to help the barrel nut slide into place.

Those Hogue handguards are a lot of fun because you can't use normal barrel nut wrenches with them.
I sell shims that help indexing troublesome barrels nuts like those.

DrunkSkunk
05-24-2008, 12:23 PM
always wonder why companies sometimes use proprietary or difficult parts to utilize. you'd figure that they would want to make easy to use universal parts, guess they need to sell specialized tools in addition.

ar15barrels
05-24-2008, 12:35 PM
always wonder why companies sometimes use proprietary or difficult parts to utilize. you'd figure that they would want to make easy to use universal parts, guess they need to sell specialized tools in addition.

In the case of the Hogue, it has to do with how they made room for the rubber sleeve.
Most basic round freefloat handguards have a short barrel nut with a long aluminum sleeve that threads on.
This allows access to the front of the barrel nut for installation.
Hogue has a long barrel nut that's back-bored and then the front 2/3 of the tube threads on.
The junction of the tube sections is at the rear of the rubber sleeve.
The length of the rear 1/3 prohibits the pins on a barrel nut wrench from reaching the holes in the barrel nut.
Hogue does not offer any special tools to solve this as far as I know.

Also, as the rubber sleeve on the Hogue does not cover the barrel nut, the handguard still gets really hot.

lakerdude123
05-25-2008, 8:30 AM
thanks