PDA

View Full Version : PDA's and software for long range precision shooting

Whitesmoke
05-22-2008, 7:06 PM
I've been having trouble finding good info on this....But I've been wanting to get a PDA and software to use for long range shooting calculations. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Or give me a link to detailed info or what to buy, etc?

I was just reading an article about the Marine scout snipers going this way and recieving PDA's and training. But I couldn't find any info on what software they are running/using.....I'm guessing it may not be generally available to the public...but I imagine something similar is.

My dad is/was a 1/5 Marine Scout/Sniper in '68-'69....but he amazed when I show him what they use now. They have came a long ways since he carried a Win M70 ....lol.

Thanks in advance.....

Vu 308
05-22-2008, 7:56 PM
http://www.precisionworkbench.com/

Blaine's software is some of the best ive seen in action.

Whitesmoke
05-22-2008, 8:06 PM
http://www.precisionworkbench.com/

Blaine's software is some of the best ive seen in action.

Thanks again VU....I appreciate it.

Timberwolf
05-22-2008, 8:38 PM
I have to throw in a shout for the 5.11 watches with the onboard software. Been wearing one since they came out and its never let me down even out to 1K.

olegk
05-22-2008, 8:43 PM
This one works perfect on my palm
http://proprock.chat.ru/software/pssf.html

rksimple
05-22-2008, 9:17 PM
Field Firing Solutions is great. Its from lex talus under the Precision shooters workbench. It was dead on for me last weekend out to 1k. Have to play with it some more and do some DK constants for my load, but so far, it kicks a**.

Whitesmoke
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
This one works perfect on my palm
http://proprock.chat.ru/software/pssf.html

that website seems messed up.....more info please.??

Whitesmoke
05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I have to throw in a shout for the 5.11 watches with the onboard software. Been wearing one since they came out and its never let me down even out to 1K.

How easy is it to use for a newby? I was worried that one would be harder to use without the book, etc.

Timberwolf
05-23-2008, 7:50 AM
How easy is it to use for a newby? I was worried that one would be harder to use without the book, etc.

They are not that hard to use and you can get the instructions off their website. It just a lot easier to look at my watch than to pull out a PDA.

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 8:57 AM
also check out nightforce.

rksimple
05-23-2008, 9:03 AM
How accurate is your watch twolf? For me, the nice feature of field firing solutions is that it will come up with a deceleration constant for your bullet/load based on real world data. It then uses this for calculating trajectory under different conditions. I've just begun using this feature but it seems like its right on. The last couple times out to the desert I've been dead on with elevation at 450, 650, 750, 850, and 1k (thats where we have the steel set up). The cool thing is there were very different conditions both times. The program will also make a profile for your load and how velocity is affected by temperature. It will automatically adjust your MV based on the temp. Its pretty sweet.

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 9:06 AM
How accurate is your watch twolf? For me, the nice feature of field firing solutions is that it will come up with a deceleration constant for your bullet/load based on real world data. It then uses this for calculating trajectory under different conditions. I've just begun using this feature but it seems like its right on. The last couple times out to the desert I've been dead on with elevation at 450, 650, 750, 850, and 1k (thats where we have the steel set up). The cool thing is there were very different conditions both times. The program will also make a profile for your load and how velocity is affected by temperature. It will automatically adjust your MV based on the temp. Its pretty sweet.

Yep, I've seen Ryan shoot while using that program. He is shooting dead on.

The ballistics watch wouldn't keep time for me, so I returned it. I guess mine was a defect, so I sent it back and never used it.

rksimple
05-23-2008, 9:07 AM
Yep, I've seen Ryan shoot while using that program. He is shooting dead on.

Speaking of which, anyone want to come up this weekend? I'm heading out there today and tomorrow. Could be persuaded to go sunday and monday as well.

PistolPete75
by Boss is starting to cry, so see ya guys later.

olegk
that website seems messed up.....more info please.??

THis web site in Russian Language encoding.
I am using Palm m500, bought used from e-bay. Thiss software can run on any palm up to m505 i think. Don't buy color display, it takes more battery resources.
It should work with Palm V as well. I remeber upgraded OS on my Palm. If you have computer experience it should be easy, but OS upgrade not required to run this programm.

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 9:09 AM
tomorrow is my 5 year anniversary. Sunday is a different story. I'll keep in touch with you.

I really need to shoot at that west end gun club, or I would be shooting in the dark at the match.

k, gottta go.

rksimple
05-23-2008, 9:12 AM
I really need to shoot at that west end gun club, or I would be shooting in the dark at the match.

Me too. Let me know if people want to get together to head down there on a weekend. I'm willing most any weekend. I'm also planning on hitting the sac valley match in either July or August, or both. I can drive if need be. The more guys the better. Gas costs too much now.

wildcard
05-23-2008, 9:21 AM
I may be good for Sunday. Lets do it. Need to redeem ourselves for our last performance. I'm down for hitting up a Sac Valley and WEGC match. When are the next match dates?

rksimple
05-23-2008, 9:26 AM
For sac, its July 6th and August 3rd. I'd like to go up early on the saturday before and do the practice run. That way we won't get our butts handed to us (at least not as bad) come match day. I'll check the WEGC schedule. That should take priority since its coming up quick.

rksimple
05-23-2008, 9:29 AM
Looks like June 8th at WEGC. That'll be our only time for a match out there before the SCPRC. Unless a member wants to take us out there for some practice...*cough* Randall *cough*...

wildcard
05-23-2008, 9:48 AM
So what's the plan?

Rimfire Match June 7th?
WEGC Match June 8th?
NorCal Match July 6th?

I'm down.

rksimple
05-23-2008, 9:50 AM
So what's the plan?

Rimfire Match June 7th?
WEGC Match June 8th?
NorCal Match July 6th?

I'm down.

Good plan. I don't have my 22 setup yet, so I'll bow out of that one. I may go to the August sac valley match as well. Conditions should be very similar to game day.

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 9:53 AM
that day sounds perfect. i have weddings to attend to on the 7th and 14th of June.

anyone here that has a membership at that club and r willing to take us would be very well appreciated!

wildcard
05-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Well.. dibs on the Ryan car pool! I'd volunteer my car.. but it doesn't hold too many people. I got gas money though. Geez gas is expensive. Sac will be a killer even when the cost is shared!

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 10:04 AM
it's supposed to go to $6 a gallon by this summer!

rksimple
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
We can get 4 people in the camry no prob. It'll do about 30 mpg on the fwy if I don't push it. Split 4 ways we should be ok. And for the vegas matches, Pete, you get a free ride if we can crash at your place!

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 10:13 AM
after july, i'm good to go. i got two wedding in june and i have a major project of mine finishing at the beginning of july. then we go shoot scprc, and i'm ready to do some more shooting.

wildcard
05-23-2008, 10:21 AM
it's supposed to go to $6 a gallon by this summer!

Yes.. you get some crazy numbers if somebody does a linear analysis based on the recent trend. However, fuel prices should actually come down a bit over the next few years starting in 2009. It'll never be like it used to.. but I believe we'll be paying less than $4/ gallon at the pumps.

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
in like 5 more years, there will be alternative energy fueled cars. i would like a partial plug in electrical car/ gasoline car in a midsize suv or 4-door. price that under 30k, and you have a winner.

rksimple
05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Whatever it may be, this is a hobby I want to enjoy. Gas will now become like components, barrels, entry fees, etc. Just another consumable. I'm always down for carpooling though. After these big matches this summer, just let me know if you guys want to hit the vegas matches. I'm down to drive.

PistolPete75
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
sounds like a plan.

wildcard
05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
As the A-Team would say: I love it when a plan comes together :)