PDA

View Full Version : M1 CARBINE

jamesob
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
a buddy of mine has several carbines and he told me i could buy one from him. my ? is there a mfg. i should really look for or stay away from. all of his are military stuff and i know that there is no modern ones i.e universal and such.

mvpatriot
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
my buddy has an inland arms I believe and its sooo fun to shoot.

Kmullen
05-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I have am winchester and love it! From what I have heard the universal are hard to find parts for. So it is best to stay with the older ones. If you want to use it.
Kevn

Spiggy
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
they're all about the same, the only difference is name and manufacturing numbers.

jamesob
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
as for value what mfg. should i look for?

Quiet
05-20-2008, 3:11 PM
Winchester and Postal Meter.

Fate
05-20-2008, 3:53 PM
RockOla, Irwin Peterson, Winchester are the heavy hitters (collecting-wise), not necessarily in that order.

Spiggy
05-20-2008, 3:59 PM
Irwin Petersons never went to war
Rock-O'la the original Ipod people
Winchester, the people that pioneered it
UN-Quality, the funny looking sub-contracted title

There are the Bavarian and Beretta manufactured carbines, these are uncommon

As a carbine, they are all in demand, the best bang for the buck is generally the Inland, which had the highest production.

Carbines are really fun, grab one with a stack of ammo; they don't recoil too hard and the design is fairly clean.

thefifthspeed
05-20-2008, 4:38 PM
Go for :
Irwin Pederson (doubt he has one)
Rockola (Most sought after
Winchester (A lot of history behind them and sought after)

packnrat
05-20-2008, 4:45 PM
only time to worry about manf is if you are buying a safe queen,

other than that just buy the rifle and have a blast, as they are great shooters and will not put a bruse on you shoulder after 1K rounds.:eek:

:TFH:

Hunter
05-20-2008, 5:53 PM
Don't forget Saginaw S'G' marked ones, which are not to be confused with Saginaw S.G. marked guns.

Sampachi
05-20-2008, 6:03 PM
I've always wanted an IBM made M1 carbine.

Stay away from Plainfield and Iver Jhonson as they are post-war commercial copies. In fact, I think the Plainfield is named on the list.

Elarski
05-20-2008, 6:09 PM
It depends if you want a shooter, or something more collectible. If you want a shooter get an Inland with late features, and blast away. If you want something more collectible, then it depends on what individual parts the carbine is made up of. If you want it "correct, as issued" for a particular manufacturer, and a particular serial number range, then it might not be cost effective depending on what the carbine has in it. If all you have is a few parts to change out to make it "correct" then one of the more rare manufactured brands might be a good deal, but if the carbine is just a mismatch of parts, getting it "correct" can be quite pricy.

Total Production:
Inland Division of GM 2,394,510
Winchester Repeating Arms 828,059
Underwood Elliott-Fisher 545,616
National Postal Meter 413,017
Quality Hardware & Machine Co. 359,666
IBM Corp. 346,500
Saginaw Gear (Saginaw) 293,592
Standard Products 247,155
Saginaw Gear (Grand Rapids) 223,620
Rock-Ola Music Co. 162,184
Irwin-Pederson 3542

Obviously, making a late production Inland correct would be the easiest, with both availabilty of parts, and cost.

You'll find lots of good info on the M1 Carbine Forums (http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/default.asp), and the CMP Carbine Forums (http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=32).

Good luck. I'm sure no matter what you get, it will be fun, and a cool piece of history.

caldude
05-20-2008, 7:08 PM
Get any of the GI issue Carbines on the list above, and avoid the Universals, Iver Johnsons, etc. Fun guns, even my wife loves it!

jamesob
05-20-2008, 7:25 PM
he has 8 to choose from so i will see what he has. i know about 2 years ago he sold a paratrooper carbine to his brother and didn't realize what he had done until his brother told him that he got over on him. he didn't mind since it was his brother.

Eat Dirt
05-20-2008, 7:54 PM
How about the Underwood units ??
I have a line on one and were tossing prices around

Or should I wait for the next go-around with CMP ??

Spiggy
05-20-2008, 8:31 PM
if you can get one at a decent price, get it, no matter the manufacturer (names dont matter if you're looking for a shooter)

CMP guns have been redone by the countries we loaned them to, so many aren't to original spec

Elarski
05-21-2008, 2:03 AM
if you can get one at a decent price, get it, no matter the manufacturer (names dont matter if you're looking for a shooter)

CMP guns have been redone by the countries we loaned them to, so many aren't to original spec

+1

Eat Dirt: PM sent.

thefifthspeed
05-21-2008, 2:19 AM

Odds are most carbines in private hands are similar to the cmp ones by the fact that they are mixed parts.

Spiggy
05-21-2008, 2:43 AM
yes, however loan-lease weapons show much more use and premature wear that can easily be avoided by choosing your carbine for yourself, as opposed to the gamble you take with any mail order weapon.

It's not the major parts to worry about, it's the use, condition, and improvised replacement parts.

thefifthspeed
05-21-2008, 4:03 AM
yes, however loan-lease weapons show much more use and premature wear that can easily be avoided by choosing your carbine for yourself, as opposed to the gamble you take with any mail order weapon.

It's not the major parts to worry about, it's the use, condition, and improvised replacement parts.

Out of the 5 CMP carbines (and 5 CMP Garands) all of my rifles which were mix masters contained all USGI parts (all the ones that can be stamped). Really the only downside to the cmp rifles is the crappy wood they come with. Also many of the "overseas rifles" that were returned had concerns about barrel condition but since cmp grades them you know what you are getting as far as a shooter. I think the CMP guns are pretty much the same spread of guns you would see in private sales. They both range from junk to collector grades.

dgey
05-21-2008, 7:12 PM
since you're purchasing a shooter, it doesn't really matter what brand... CMP has the cheapest prices that I've seen... If you want something new, IAI and Auto ordinance are remaking these great rifles...

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110_f.html

Pred@tor
05-22-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a Quality hardware M1 carbine that needs restoration attention. Needs a reparkerizing job done on it. It is a 1943 early version too. Some creep took all the park off and Redid the stock... To make it look pretty in his image...

BTW http://riverbankarmory.cjb.net/ heres an excellent site for M1 carbine parts, tools, ect.

jamesob
05-22-2008, 10:55 AM
since you're purchasing a shooter, it doesn't really matter what brand... CMP has the cheapest prices that I've seen... If you want something new, IAI and Auto ordinance are remaking these great rifles...

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110_f.html
im not really buying it to shoot it all the time. and cmp cant beat this price that im getting it for. so i was looking at value wise for collecting.

Capt Jack
05-22-2008, 1:09 PM
If you look at the CMP's M1 web page they list different prices based on manufacturer so assuming they are all in the same condition then there must be some "collector" value to certain makes which might just be based on the number made versus their respective fit and finish.

Looks like Win, Rockola and Saginaw Grand Rapids go for the most and Inland is the cheapest (and Irwin's are "auction only"?), either way like everyone else said just get it and shoot it (or make it a safe queen and pass on a piece of history to your kids, but I'd still shoot it! :D)

MI CARBINE SERVICE GRADE
ITEM # MANUFACTURER PRICE

R017NP NATIONAL POSTAL METER $575
R017SA SAGINAW SG $575
R017SG SAGINAW S'G' (GRAND RAPIDS) $675
R017SGLW SAGINAW S'G' Less Wood Auction
R017ST STANDARD PRODUCTS $575
R017IBM IBM $575
R017IN INLAND $495 Sold out - Not accepting orders
R017UD UNDERWOOD $565 Sold out - Not accepting orders
R017WIN WINCHESTER $675 Sold out - Not accepting orders
R017Q QUALITY HARDWARE $565 Sold out - Not accepting orders
R017RO ROCKOLA $675 Sold out - Not accepting orders
R017IP IRWIN PEDERSON Auction Auction Only

jamesob
05-22-2008, 3:23 PM
why is the irwin auction only? are they cheaper or more rare?

thefifthspeed
05-22-2008, 3:29 PM

The Irwin Pedersons are the most rare out there. They usually command a prices of 2000+ for a mixmaster and a lot more for a correct or collector grade.

run8
05-22-2008, 4:11 PM
I was at Big5 Sporting Goods, I seen a M1 that looks like a tank ran over it, just the grungiest looking thing, the bolt had even fallen out and was laying on the bottom of the rack.

Yup, you too can have one for $999.

jamesob
05-22-2008, 5:22 PM
so as collecting goes the irwin is the holy grail of carbines.

thefifthspeed
05-22-2008, 6:06 PM
so as collecting goes the irwin is the holy grail of carbines.

Yes, those and oddballs like duplicate serial and "lineouts"

Wonderwhippet
05-22-2008, 6:10 PM
Yes, as collecting goes. However, the reason there are so few around is they had hardly started production when the government inspectors determined they were producing POS carbines. The contract was yanked and turned over to Saginaw (General Motors).

Spiggy
05-22-2008, 7:08 PM

Irwin Pederson never made their quota during the war, so very few of them were issued. High prices are generated by the fact that only a few thousand were produced during war time.

icormba
05-23-2008, 1:06 PM
The Irwin Pedersons are the most rare out there. They usually command a prices of 2000+ for a mixmaster and a lot more for a correct or collector grade.

yeah, the one currently up for auction is a RACK grade, has 9 days left until the end of auction, and is currently at....... $2,138.00

kenc9
05-24-2008, 8:29 AM
Get any that have this color and no Bayo Lug.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/kenc9/M1%20Crbine%20Stdrd%20Prdcts/Picture002.jpg

Here is a later Korea War Carbine with Bayo lug
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/kenc9/IMG_1231.jpg