PDA

View Full Version : Use of a holster legal in BLM land shooting area?

Booshanky
05-19-2008, 7:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, lets say I'm out in the desert somewhere that it's legal to shoot. If I have my pistol in a holster doing drills (rather than on the trunk of my car or something) is that against the law?

I know there are laws against openly carrying loaded weapons in certain parts of the state but do those laws apply in the situation I describe above?

motorhead
05-19-2008, 8:12 AM
is the holster registered?:rofl2:

MudCamper
05-19-2008, 9:21 AM
It's really pretty simple. There are only three laws you need to worry about.

12025 - can't carry a handgun concealed (exceptions for transport in a locked box)

12031 - can't have a loaded gun in a city, or anywhere else where it is illegal to shoot

626.9 - can't possess any firearm withing 1000 feet of a school, unless it's in a locked box

Are you violating any of these? If not, you are fine.

But, if by "out in the desert" you mean Death Vally National Park then NO. National Parks do not permit any firearms. But you said "somewhere that it's legal to shoot".

StukaJr
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
When shooting in BLM land, I usually carry a handgun in over the belt pancake holster with t-shirt tucked in - so it's loaded, open and there are no articles of clothes which could conceal it.

If Ranger comes by, I always disarm as they don't like when you approach them with a firearm - the only time it happened, the Ranger stayed in the vehicle until all the firearms were laid out action open. But that's just personal preference.