PDA

View Full Version : RANGE REPORT: ARMALITE AR-30 .338LM

supersonic
05-12-2008, 9:06 AM
Well, I finally had the chance to do it. First, the good: unimaginable accuracy (1/8-1/4" groups @ 100yds. - and it is guaranteed to improve after break -in) ; shockwave reminded me of .50BMG, recoil........well, there simply was none!! (my .223's kick harder) One of the guys that took it for a ride said (after only 1 shot) "Is Armalite open on Mondays? I'm ordering one first thing!" ; the normally "been there/done that with every rifle known to man" guy (Jeff/YSA) shot it, and I've never seen him get all "giddy" after shooting a round:p. The "not so great": the muzzle blast from the brake blew everything not weighted down off the benches on both sides of me (luckily, they were filled w/ all MY stuff!!) ; I was offered twice what I paid for it, but had to turn it down, 'cause I waited almost 2 years for it after ordering (now the waiting list is probably insane) But there was no way my day was going to end so "perfectly." (I've never done something so moronic in my whole 20+ yrs. around firearms): I was locked & loaded when a cease fire was called. So, I made my thunderstick safe, stepped off the line, took my muffs off, and relaxed w/ a Coke & a smoke. When firing time resumed, I got snugged in behind my "beast", chambered a round, and just as the trigger was a nanosecond away from breaking I realized something: I had not put my hearing protection on. It was too late. I really can't put into words "what it was like." I can, however say that 1) I would wish it upon my absolute worst enemy(!) 2) the ringing is still prominent 24 hrs. later 3) my left ear (which I can't hear out of) stopped bleeding last night around 7p.m. 4) I have a E/N/T/ doctor's appt. today. Overall range report rating: 10 out of 10, albeit extremely bittersweet!!!:eek::D

Prc329
05-12-2008, 9:13 AM
I made that mistake once but luckily it was a 308. I got to shot an EDM ARms 510DTC and that thing had my ears ringing with my ear plugs on. I can only imagine the pain you endured.

Glad you like the rifle.

J_Rock
05-12-2008, 9:21 AM
When are you going to be at the YSA with this thing? I just wanna make sure I bring double hearing protection if I happen to be there the same day as you.:cool2:

aplinker
05-12-2008, 9:22 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

mike452
05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow... nice... Now I just need some ammo money to shoot mine.
Hope your ear recovers...

dfletcher
05-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Be careful you don't shoot next to any of the rimfire guys. Loaded or empty, those 50 count ammo boxes tend to go flying.

Seriously, the AR is really a great value in that caliber. Excellent trigger and really, what the heck can go wrong with it? It's basically a barrel anchored to an aluminium stock and forend - although I think they've taken the term "free floated barrel" to the extreme. :)

I've found the 300 grain Sierra MK works very well as does the Nosler - can't remember the exact weight, think it's 250 grains. I use primarily H4350 with some IMR 7828 and H4831 also.

Soldier415
05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
:useless:

thmpr
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I still prefer a semi-auto version...:D

ohsmily
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I want to see pics of these 1/8" - 1/4" groups. Were these 1-shot groups ;)

Is this ammo that you loaded up or factory stuff?

And WOW, your ear was bleeding....yikes.

supersonic
05-12-2008, 2:16 PM
Be careful you don't shoot next to any of the rimfire guys. Loaded or empty, those 50 count ammo boxes tend to go flying.

Seriously, the AR is really a great value in that caliber. Excellent trigger and really, what the heck can go wrong with it? It's basically a barrel anchored to an aluminium stock and forend - although I think they've taken the term "free floated barrel" to the extreme. :)

I've found the 300 grain Sierra MK works very well as does the Nosler - can't remember the exact weight, think it's 250 grains. I use primarily H4350 with some IMR 7828 and H4831 also.

Hey, thanks for the load info, df! I was using a mix of factory Lapua ammo (Lapua .338LM/250g lock base/20 in a box - only got through 12) and my own "break-in" loads ( FL - sized new Lapua cases/225g Hornady SST's/ start load of H1000 - 94g) - loaded 50/only got through about 20. And, yes, the factory ammo SMOKED mine in the accuracy department!:whistling:Sorry, but it's going to take about 2 more range trips until the BBL is broken - in & then I'll be photo/video shooting it!;) If you just want to see the gun, it'right here:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=87090&highlight=Armalite+AR-30. In the next coming weeks, I'll post some pretty interesting shots of the rifle @ the range (I'll set up a sh*tload of empty ammo boxes on the adjacent tables & get a shot of what the blast does!!!!!:p) + some targets. If (and that's a BIG "IF") I can find a place with some good distance (and where I can actually do this), I'll shoot watermelons w/ a full-power/300gr/3000fps. load I am developing from data. I'll take the camcorder out & zoom in on the fruit. Then maybe put it on YouTube in SSSLLLLLLLOWWWWW motion.:D

supersonic
05-12-2008, 3:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I still prefer a semi-auto version...:D

I hear Barrett is coming out with one. (Barrett = $$$$$$$, though. No matter what, everything of theirs is waaay overpriced, IMO) But the AR-30 was designed from the beginning as a dedicated sniper rifle, so a semi-auto version would essentially defeat the purpose. Cobb's MCR system goes from .223 to .338LM, so there 'ya go right there!:D I have friends that own different Cobb rifles, and they all say the quality is most excellent.

DrunkSkunk
05-12-2008, 3:35 PM
Then maybe put it on YouTube in SSSLLLLLLLOWWWWW motion.:D

I don't mind the slow motion as much as I hate the dumb arse music people put on loud as hell.

It's supposed to be BACKGROUND music you dummies!

knucklehead 61
05-12-2008, 4:56 PM
i told you that you were gonna' love your new ar-30! :D
hearing about yours kinda makes me wish mine was .338 instead of .300 win mag, but mine is MUCH cheaper to feed! :eek:
they do keep the bench top clean, don't they! :D
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/knucklehead_61/guns/DSCN3604_edited.jpg

dfletcher
05-12-2008, 5:03 PM
I hear Barrett is coming out with one. (Barrett = $$$$$$$, though. No matter what, everything of theirs is waaay overpriced, IMO) But the AR-30 was designed from the beginning as a dedicated sniper rifle, so a semi-auto version would essentially defeat the purpose. Cobb's MCR system goes from .223 to .338LM, so there 'ya go right there!:D I have friends that own different Cobb rifles, and they all say the quality is most excellent.

Unless they come with a fool proof brass catcher there's NO WAY I'm going to buy a semi auto anything in 338 Lapua Magnum!

supersonic
05-12-2008, 8:37 PM
I don't mind the slow motion as much as I hate the dumb arse music people put on loud as hell.

It's supposed to be BACKGROUND music you dummies!

The sound will be all blast/impact. No (deleted vulgarity) music. You just gave me an idea: I think I will have to PM you about purchasing your 1st item. Would it work stuffed into the center of a watermelon? Side of beef?:p

edittman1
05-13-2008, 1:11 AM
I wonder how the Remington 338 police special compares?

Should I spend the extra $500 for the Armalite?

supersonic
05-13-2008, 5:35 AM
I wonder how the Remington 338 police special compares?

Should I spend the extra $500 for the Armalite?

Armalite. No question. The Lapua is a superior cartridge to the .338UM (it has the ballistic "edge", plus it is flatter - shooting. Also, the action / bedding / match BBL on the AR-30 are way beyond t6he Remington. Make no mistake, I'm a "Remington kind of guy" (LOVE 'em), but it's not even in the same league as the Armalite. You will have to wait quite some time to get one from the factory, but I waited 2 yrs. (almost gave up - SO glad I didn't) and it was more than worth it.
Scott

ohsmily
05-13-2008, 8:49 AM
Armalite. No question. The Lapua is a superior cartridge to the .338UM (it has the ballistic "edge", plus it is flatter - shooting. Also, the action / bedding / match BBL on the AR-30 are way beyond t6he Remington. Make no mistake, I'm a "Remington kind of guy" (LOVE 'em), but it's not even in the same league as the Armalite. You will have to wait quite some time to get one from the factory, but I waited 2 yrs. (almost gave up - SO glad I didn't) and it was more than worth it.
Scott

I don't think he is talking about 338RUM. He is talking about the new Remington in 338LM.

dfletcher
05-13-2008, 9:56 AM
Has anyone spotted the Rem 700 in 338 LM? I've heard tales, saw an offering on GB for a custom 338 LM 700, never spotted a factory offered one for sale in a heavy barreled target type rifle.

Personally, I could lean towards getting a heavt barreled Rem 700 in 338 RUM over a 338 LM offering. For the sake of discussion, let's say the LM has better ballistics. Is it really so much better as to justify the price difference in brass? RUM brass is about $35.00 per 50 count, 338 LM is about $70.00. I don't mind spending when warranted, I reload the 416 Rigby (338 LM's "Bigger Brother") but are we really going to se much difference bewteen the RUM & the LM?

Prc329
05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Check Snipers Hide. There were a couple of threads over there about the rifle. Sniper Coutry PX carries the 700 MLR in 338 Lapua but you will have to preorder and wait.

ivanimal
05-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Hate to tell you but the ballistics on the 338 RUM are superior but not by much. It is well documented.

http://www.empirerifles.com/ballistics.htm

All other things being equal the RUM has a larger case capacity. Not by much. That said I dont think a model 700 in RUM (yes I own one) will be anywhere near as comfortable to shoot.

From Hogdon's data bank

bullet 250 grains Powder H1000

Lapua start 88 gr end 98 gr vel 2838 pressure 52,800 CUP
338RUM start 92 gr end 98 gr vel 2923 pressure 62,400 PSI

Again the slight edge goes to the RUM considered to be the poormans Lapua.

dfletcher
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Check Snipers Hide. There were a couple of threads over there about the rifle. Sniper Coutry PX carries the 700 MLR in 338 Lapua but you will have to preorder and wait.

Thanks for the info - at under $1,050 for the 700 in 338 LM it looks like quite the deal.

supersonic
05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=ivanimal;1208582].

All other things being equal the RUM has a larger case capacity. Not by much. .

QUOTE]

Actually, Ivan, the case cap on the RUM is 105.0. The LM is 111.0 http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/bcompare.cgi ;)

dfletcher
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
At 100 yards or so those pesky varmints won't know the difference. :33:

supersonic
05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
At 100 yards or so those pesky varmints won't know the difference. :33:

You'd actually be correct, if anyone was actually insane enough to use either of these two rounds for varmints!:p

ar15barrels
05-13-2008, 7:47 PM
Comparing both the 338 RUM and 338 Lapua in Quickload, I discovered this...

Case lengths are 2.76 for the RUM and 2.724 for the Lapua.
Case capacity to fill the case all the way to the neck is 111gr on the RUM and 108 on the Lapua.
Usable case capacity with a 300gr SMK seated to 3.68" OAL in each cartridge is 94.25 on the RUM and 92.06 on the Lapua.
Max pressure spec for the RUM is 63,817 and 68,168 for the Lapua.
Maximum obtainable velocity from a 26" barrel from each cartridge with the fastest load found for a 300gr SMK would be 2739 for the RUM and 2753 for the Lapua.

Due to the differences in case capacity basically offsetting the differences in volume, you might as well call it a tie.

Even so, the RUM just became very interesting to me due to the cost of brass.

supersonic
05-14-2008, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=ar15barrels;1209899]Comparing both the 338 RUM and 338 Lapua in Quickload, I discovered this...

Case capacity to fill the case all the way to the neck is 111gr on the RUM and 108 on the Lapua.
QUOTE]

That's interesting, because AmmoGuide has those exact numbers reversed for the cartridges. I paid for a year subscription to A.G., and now I'm second-guessing them on their accuracy, as far as not making mistakes.:eek:

ar15barrels
05-14-2008, 12:10 AM
That's interesting, because AmmoGuide has those exact numbers reversed for the cartridges. I paid for a year subscription to A.G., and now I'm second-guessing them on their accuracy, as far as not making mistakes.:eek:

I'd say they mis-gathered their info from Quickload then because there are not too many sources that publish specs like that.

DrunkSkunk
05-14-2008, 12:20 AM
nice rifle, too bad that wait is so long.

C.G.
05-14-2008, 12:40 AM
nice rifle, too bad that wait is so long.

I only had to wait about three months for this one:
http://www.sailmontereybay.com/Photos/Ferret_.338LM2a.jpg

Didn't have to DROS, because bought just an upper. Used my old FAB-10 lower. They are a bit more expensive:

http://www.ferret50.com/ordering.html

supersonic
05-14-2008, 5:24 AM
I only had to wait about three months for this one:
http://www.sailmontereybay.com/Photos/Ferret_.338LM2a.jpg

Didn't have to DROS, because bought just an upper. Used my old FAB-10 lower. They are a bit more expensive:

http://www.ferret50.com/ordering.html

What kind of scope is on that thing?

ohsmily
05-14-2008, 8:33 AM
What kind of scope is on that thing?

Xotic