PDA

View Full Version : Almost 80 used handguns at Imbert & Smithers.

ProtecSylt
05-10-2008, 8:24 PM
Gents.
Just a heads-up - Imbert & Smithers in San Carlos has more used handguns on the rack than they had in a long time.
Only few revolvers (a 66-6, 4inch, lock, great condition, $550 / a 60-13, 3 inch, truglo sights, $450 / Python, blue, 4 inch $1100)

Pistols include everything from Lignose .25 one-hand-pistol for $200 to Colt Combat Elite .38 Super to Para Ordonance, (4) Kimbers, Glocks, XDs, SIG (229 in .40 with extra .357 barrel for $625), 3 Walthers (a 1001 series unlicensed copy from East Germany with Haemmerli barrel and Walther parts), Beretta 70 in .22 and all kinds of other guns I can't recall right now.

If you're in the area - stop by.

quagmiles
05-10-2008, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I have yet to give them all my money.

tonelar
05-10-2008, 9:10 PM
Do used guns have to still be on the DOJ approved list?

I wonder if there're so many in stock because people have wised up to them.

After all, ImbrtnSmithrs rips off its customers.

berg
05-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Do used guns have to still be on the DOJ approved list?

No. And they are also exempt from the 1 per 30 days limit. There's no limit on consignment guns.

JeffM
05-11-2008, 11:04 AM
No. And they are also exempt from the 1 per 30 days limit. There's no limit on consignment guns.

Consignments do have to remain at the dealers for thirty days however, so if it turns up as a stolen gun the authorities have time to pick it up. So if it's a recent arrival you'll still have to wait to get you're paws on it.

Suvorov
05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
It would have to be one hell of a deal on one hell of a rare handgun to get me to give my hard earned money to old Elmer FUD himself. Still, if they have a FN HP DA I could become morally flexible. :cool:

Tarn_Helm
05-11-2008, 1:03 PM
Gents.
Just a heads-up - Imbert & Smithers in San Carlos has more used handguns on the rack than they had in a long time.
Only few revolvers (a 66-6, 4inch, lock, great condition, $550 / a 60-13, 3 inch, truglo sights, $450 / Python, blue, 4 inch $1100)

Pistols include everything from Lignose .25 one-hand-pistol for $200 to Colt Combat Elite .38 Super to Para Ordonance, (4) Kimbers, Glocks, XDs, SIG (229 in .40 with extra .357 barrel for $625), 3 Walthers (a 1001 series unlicensed copy from East Germany with Haemmerli barrel and Walther parts), Beretta 70 in .22 and all kinds of other guns I can't recall right now.

If you're in the area - stop by.
Thanks, but too far.
:(

That Model 60 sounds good . . .
:cool:

ProtecSylt
05-11-2008, 2:06 PM
I wonder if there're so many in stock because people have wised up to them.

After all, ImbrtnSmithrs rips off its customers.

I think that's exactly what happened. People felt ripped off by Imbert & Smithers - so they just sold back their guns and took a financial hit. This way I&S can sell them again for even more profit. That will teach them bastards not to mess with the customers! :rolleyes:

Great logic there, buddy.

P.S. I might have made a mistake and the Model 60 sells for $500,00 - I don't recall 100%.

HighValleyRanch
05-11-2008, 4:06 PM
I've been there a number of times.
My Dad lives in Belmont, and since I've been going down there to help him with his garden now and then, I find it convenient to drop by I&S after home depot.
I've always found them friendly and helpful and their consignment prices fair, depending on the piece.
Recently did a PTP double trade transaction there. Their fee was very fair and they took the time to make it smooth.

I don't understand what the bad rap is about.
They don't mind if you handle their long guns, compared to some other gun shops I've been it, where the saleclerk stands there as if you were going to run out of the store with it, or have to unlock the chain first, so that you can even pick it up.

djp7558
05-11-2008, 9:12 PM
Are they on the "WEB" ???

dfletcher
05-11-2008, 9:39 PM
I think the "bad rap" comes from a previous thread that I & S charged higher than allowed PPT fees. I've bought only one or two guns there, can't recall if it's accurate. I've always found them to be an informative and polite group.

I did overhear part of a transaction where the buyer asked about a charge he thought was too high or should not have been present. The gun was transfered from Oregon and the additional charge was explained by I & S as being "Oregon sales tax" but, OR doesn't have sales tax.

HighValleyRanch
05-11-2008, 9:47 PM
I think I paid 50.00 for transfer.
My local guy who I know pretty well, still charges around 40.00

Mickey D
05-13-2008, 9:48 AM
Consignments do have to remain at the dealers for thirty days however, so if it turns up as a stolen gun the authorities have time to pick it up. So if it's a recent arrival you'll still have to wait to get you're paws on it.

I have been buying consignment guns for years (30 this past year) and have never heard such a thing as them holding the gun for 30 days.
It's considered a PPT and you only need to wait the 10 days "to get your paws on it".
I'm interested to know where you got your information. :confused:

Crazyhorse
05-13-2008, 9:53 AM
I have been buying consignment guns for years (30 this past year) and have never heard such a thing as them holding the gun for 30 days.
It's considered a PPT and you only need to wait the 10 days "to get your paws on it".
I'm interested to know where you got your information. :confused:

Doesn't this only apply to situations where the store owner buys the guns off someone for resale not consignment?

Mickey D
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Doesn't this only apply to situations where the store owner buys the guns off someone for resale not consignment?
Interesting thought. I will inquire today. :cool:
From what I understand, if they bought a handgun not on the DOJ list from out-of-state, they have to wait a year before selling to Joe Public.

BigMac
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
The 30 day rule has to do with the rules governing the second hand dealers license. All used merchendise must be held for 30 days and reported to the licensing authority for background investigation.

Moonclip
05-13-2008, 5:38 PM
I had a dealer hold some guns like this for 45 days! So it basically took me 2 months to get my gun:( I'm surprised some dealers or more dealers just don't wait to put out the guns until the 30 days is up as to not hear people *****ing about it. I buy a lot of used guns so I've waited 40-50 days many times.

AraiGuma
05-13-2008, 6:02 PM
I witnessed more than one occasion that dealers in Nor-Cal suggesting their customers (sellers) to do consignment instead of simply selling guns to them. This way the seller gets bit more money than simply selling it to the dealer at bottom low price, the dealer doesn't have to store it for extra 30 days, and the buyer doesn't have to ***** them for that forever long 30+ days waiting before even be able to DROS.

tonelar
05-13-2008, 6:42 PM
I think that's exactly what happened. People felt ripped off by Imbert & Smithers - so they just sold back their guns and took a financial hit. This way I&S can sell them again for even more profit. That will teach them bastards not to mess with the customers! :rolleyes:

Great logic there, buddy.

You inferred alot from my statement, pal. My mistake, I should've said "people got a clue about them and stopped buying guns from them. Giving ImbrtnSmthrs a bumper crop of overpriced inventory."

I think the "bad rap" comes from a previous thread that I & S charged higher than allowed PPT fees...
I did overhear part of a transaction where the buyer asked about a charge he thought was too high or should not have been present. The gun was transfered from Oregon and the additional charge was explained by I & S as being "Oregon sales tax" but, OR doesn't have sales tax.

I've witnessed two cases where they were grossly overcharging for things like within the state sales taxes, over the $35 PPT fee, plus refusing CA approved locking devices and affidavits. First was on a purchase of mine, second was to a guy purchasing from me (I tried to get him to go elsewhere). I'm not going to go in for a third time.

Imbert and Smithers runs a crooked business.

Moonclip
05-13-2008, 8:01 PM
I no longer go to a certain FFL in my area due to PPT overcharging on a friend, he wanted an extra $15. Pretty penny wise, pound foolish in that FFLs case,I spend 1000's a year on guns and their accessories. This overchargin FFL, I drive by it and eat at a place next to it 2-3 times a week, I don't step in though.

We went down the street, paid the correct fee, and within next two weeks friend and I bought another $150 or so in ammo from this guy.

tonelar
05-13-2008, 9:48 PM
Good for you, Moonclip. I have been relatively quiet about my experience because most of my friends and family aren't likely to go there, anyway.

However here's a forum where the members can benefit from each others' experiences...

wellfedirishman
05-13-2008, 9:59 PM
I go there every 3 or 4 weeks because it is relatively close to where I work and I have always found them to be very polite and helpful to me. If you look and pay attention, you can find some very good prices on used guns there. I have bought a couple of nice 22s and C&R guns from them.

However, it is not a 'black rifle' friendly place. The closest they get to that is the occasional SKS. It is more like an old-style hunting store, and if that's what you are after, it is pretty good. Just don't go looking for ARs, AKs, etc there or look for reliable advice about same, because you won't find it.

Irvington Arms is a great and exceedingly knowledgable OLL-type place, if that is what you after.

There's room in the market for everyone.

Gryff
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
If it is a consignment piece, they are only supposed to charge the PPT + $10 fee, right?

merritt
05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
If its a consignment piece you have no idea what their fee is because it is part of the sales price... they work out their commission with the seller...

as for PPT if both parties come to the FFL at the same time The FFL is legally required to do the transaction and charge no more than $10 for their fee (and another $25 goes to the state which consists of three fees in its own right $19,$5,&$1 ... though I can't remember what each is for...)

of course I may be wrong ... someone correct me if I am

ChessRatz
05-13-2008, 11:17 PM
to make it clear... a PPT should only cost $35 total.

Gryff
05-13-2008, 11:19 PM
If its a consignment piece you have no idea what their fee is because it is part of the sales price... they work out their commission with the seller...

Sorry, what I meant was what the "paperwork" fees should be. I'm curious to see what I&S tries to charge over the agreed purchase price.

AraiGuma
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
By listening to many dealers, they (not only I&S) usually charge 15-20% of what it was sold as their commission for consignment sale.

merritt
05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
As far as paperwork goes, consignment is the same as a normal sale: $25 goes to the state.

AR-shogun
05-15-2008, 7:16 AM
I don't understand what the bad rap is about.
They don't mind if you handle their long guns, compared to some other gun shops I've been it, where the saleclerk stands there as if you were going to run out of the store with it, or have to unlock the chain first, so that you can even pick it up.

Someone did run out with a gun from the store about two years ago and shot himself in the head.